OldSpottingThread (Ericsson Style) [Abandoned]

u got a real good camera dude the detail of the pics is sick an im on my new laptop which has a led screen an the graphics are just crazy lol. but thank you for taking the time to show every one the difference between at&t an sprints. by the way what does verizon look like?

u got a real good camera dude the detail of the pics is sick an im on my new laptop which has a led screen an the graphics are just crazy lol. but thank you for taking the time to show every one the difference between at&t an sprints. by the way what does verizon look like?

Thanks and I thought some were kinda bad due to the very overcast days. I have many other pics in the New Orleans market thread.

Verizon is just panels.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

• Like 1

Excellent work Digiblur. Maybe somebody in an AlcaLu and Samsung area can get some detailed pics of their RRUs.

I also thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for identifying at least the Big 4's panels and RRUs (if they are implemented). Im still learning myself to identify other equipment besides Sprints.

• Like 1

Thanks and I thought some were kinda bad due to the very overcast days. I have many other pics in the New Orleans market thread.

Verizon is just panels.

now i for sure know what at&t ones look like an i can now spot sprints a lot better. i got 4 towers to see in my area ill get to them sometime soon an see if anything has changed but i have my doubts

Excellent work Digiblur. Maybe somebody in an AlcaLu and Samsung area can get some detailed pics of their RRUs.

I also thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for identifying at least the Big 4's panels and RRUs (if they are implemented). Im still learning myself to identify other equipment besides Sprints.

I think it was the Minnesota thread that had the closeups of the Samsung RRUs. The tower rack was on the ground for a couple of days.

Sprint (4 RRU/panel), AT&T(700 antenna only), AT&T(also looks like 700 only)

Yes, only bonus was Sprint legacy is at the top of picture number 2.

• Like 1

Thanks for this awesome guide! You are the man Digiblur! Many thanks!

Not a problem. Glad you like it. As long as one person gets something out of this then it was worth the time.

Not a problem. Glad you like it. As long as one person gets something out of this then it was worth the time.

Thanks for putting together this post, digiblur, it helped me figure out which one is sprint!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Why 4 RRU per panel? They can run 2 per band per panel? If so what's the max number of RRUser panel?

Oh yeah thanks for the great guide it will help a lot.

ATT_CABLES2.jpg

I just tweeted out a link to digiblur's super telephoto pic above because it shows that AT&T LTE panels' low and high frequency ports cover Lower 700 MHz, Cellular 850 MHz, PCS 1900 MHz, and AWS 2100+1700 MHz. Thus, AT&T needs only additional RRUs to support fully four bands of LTE.

We already have a number of guests viewing this thread. Make them feel welcome.

AJ

• Like 8

I have original unaltered pictures if needed. I dug up the exact model of the panel too. No stickers on their original panels.

Will post the links to the full resolution pictures when I can get to a PC.

• Like 1

I just tweeted out a link to digiblur's super telephoto pic above because it shows that AT&T LTE panels' low and high frequency ports cover Lower 700 MHz, Cellular 850 MHz, PCS 1900 MHz, and AWS 2100+1700 MHz. Thus, AT&T needs only additional RRUs to support fully four bands of LTE.

We already have a number of guests viewing this thread. Make them feel welcome.

AJ

AJ, all the original pictures of the site are located here: http://s4gru.com/ind...dpost__p__62215

The antenna model is : http://www.commscope.com/catalog/andrew/product_details.aspx?id=17610

The location can be found using the google map street view link: http://goo.gl/maps/PMEOy Streetview was from March 2011 and there is no RRU or middle panel. This same setup of single panel with single RRU hooked up to one side is all over the place in Baton Rouge. That would explain why they spaced them on just about every tower, AT&T has their 700mhz sites closer together than Sprint has the PCS sites, but since they want to use AWS/PCS then the spacing works out perfectly for thick coverage.

ATT_CABLES2.jpg

Some have expressed interest in how digiblur captured the above super telephoto image. Good news, I just so happen to have a documentary photo of him in that process.

Mother7.jpg

:P

AJ

• Like 12

Hahaha...well look at the street view link I posted 2 posts up with the antenna model number and such. You can park right under the tower and it is on the bottom rack. My camera does have a very nice zoom though and steady shot.

I got one for you guys... figure out what those little black domes are I keep seeing on AT&T's racks around here. It's not a light either. Scroll up and look at the picture with the panel and single RRU and look just to the left of it.

I got one for you guys... figure out what those little black domes are I keep seeing on AT&T's racks around here. It's not a light either. Scroll up and look at the picture with the panel and single RRU and look just to the left of it.

Those black domes are the antennas that broadcast Randall Stephenson's and the ghost of Steve Jobs' mind control to all AT&T subs.

AJ

• Like 7

The black dome looks like a fiber splice case mounted vertically. Maybe they run fiber up the towers to each RRU network interface. Look at your cable company's aerial fiber lines on the telephone poles and you'll see those black thingies hanging horizontally. They are all over the place in CATV HFC networks.

Interestingly, if you look closely next to one of the antennas it looks like a white GPS dome. I've never seen one mounted that high up in a tower. Usually those are down on the ground next to the controller cabinet (BTS?).

I really wish I could see a Sprint or AT&T-specific detailed schematic of the RRU interfaces. How do they provide power to them? I'd hazard a guess that they run a single dedicated 48V DC line up the tower and then somehow split it out to each RRU. Any other guesses?

Edited by doug526

Interestingly, if you look closely next to one of the antennas it looks like a white GPS dome. I've never seen one mounted that high up in a tower. Usually those are down on the ground next to the BTS.

If a site uses RRUs, the BTS is effectively on the rack. So, the GPS antenna needs to be up top, too.

AJ

If a site uses RRUs, the BTS is effectively on the rack. So, the GPS antenna needs to be up top, too.

AJ

I may be incorrectly using the term BTS. I think BTS as a whole encompasses the controller cabinet/rack that sits on the ground and connects to the backhaul network, and the RRU's up top. In the context of NV, I do not know what the acronym/term is for the cabinet on the ground...

I may be incorrectly using the term BTS. I think BTS as a whole encompasses the controller cabinet/rack that sits on the ground and connects to the backhaul network, and the RRU's up top. In the context of NV, I do not know what the acronym/term is for the cabinet on the ground...

Yeah, RRUs up top do complicate overall nomenclature. That is why I have long endorsed the generic term "cell site" to encompass all installed infrastructure. (In contrast, I hate the so often used term "tower" because it is so wrong in so many ways.)

Regardless, RRUs up top are the radios, which require GPS timing. The equipment below is largely relegated to IP routing and power management.

AJ