Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

Any idea if additional Clearwire markets have been launched yet other than the original list Robert gave?

nothing "launched" but I've seen work being done on clearwire sites in the dc area. We are a WiMAX market.

nothing "launched" but I've seen work being done on clearwire sites in the dc area. We are a WiMAX market.

I live in the DC area. So they're working on LTE on the clearwire sites?

yes I've seen workers on a few clearwire sites around here. One site it looked like the antennas were unplugged then the next day and brand new RRU was up there. I'm assuming it was dual mode LTE/WiMAX

• Like 1

yes I've seen workers on a few clearwire sites around here. One site it looked like the antennas were unplugged then the next day and brand new RRU was up there. I'm assuming it was dual mode LTE/WiMAX

that might help extend life of wimax devices that are still being sold.... hmm...   i don't see any other way to really use all of that spectrum fully considering most devices cannot use more than a 10mhz channel or maybe a combined 20mhz or 30mhz w/ CA

I find that most stealth sites just look silly. The fake pine and palm trees are really ridiculous when you have this lone palm tree sticking 150 feet above the rest of the tree line with proportionately stubby leaves compared to its size. The flag pole sites I have seen are so thick with comically massive flags to attempt to blend in with their size. Personally, I like nice monopole tower. I am a tech guy to the core so when I see a high tech looking panel with fiber optic cables running down it makes me feel warm inside.

Ever since I pointed out the fake trees to my mom she has been fascinated by them. We were driving recently in a kind of hilly grasslands like area here in California and in the middle of nothing is this huge fake tree-tower that just looked totally ridiculous. If you put a tower in a middle of a field, camouflaged or not it's going to look ridiculous and bad.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

I have the feeling that wimax service may be left up for several more years, since they are deploying dual mode and have plenty of 2600 spectrum, at least for the immediate future.

This way they save any forced migration costs and let existing wimax users ride out the lifetime of their device if they so choose, sprint will continue getting paid for wimax service the same as lte..

• Like 1

I have the feeling that wimax service may be left up for several more years, since they are deploying dual mode and have plenty of 2600 spectrum, at least for the immediate future.

This way they save any forced migration costs and let existing wimax users ride out the lifetime of their device if they so choose, sprint will continue getting paid for wimax service the same as lte..

It wouldn't suprise me if this is the case.

Do we have any verification of any new 2500 sites receiving dual mode equipment? Or any new 2500 sites yet for that matter?

It may be.

I am simply suggesting that, since they are upgrading existing clear sites to lte, and seem to be using dual mode radios, they can simply let wimax stay active until it breaks down or some other upgrade supersedes it.

In other words, there is no cost to leave wimax active longer if it is all being integrated with lte anyway. They can keep existing clear customers up and not risk losing them to other providers by force interrupting their existing clear service.

I thought WiMAX was being decommissioned in 2015?

That is the information that is out there. Is it Jan 2015 or Dec 2015? I don't think anyone knows for sure. It is known that they are deploying dual mode equipment at current Clear sites. I suspect they will only maintain WiMAx equipment up to whatever date in 2015.

It may be.

I am simply suggesting that, since they are upgrading existing clear sites to lte, and seem to be using dual mode radios, they can simply let wimax stay active until it breaks down or some other upgrade supersedes it.

In other words, there is no cost to leave wimax active longer if it is all being integrated with lte anyway. They can keep existing clear customers up and not risk losing them to other providers by force interrupting their existing clear service.

Exactly.

Just a FYI, only Samsung RRUs are dual mode. Ericsson and Nokia Siemens Networks (Nokia Solutions & networks)are TD-LTE only. 

Do we know where Samsung RRUs are being deployed?

I'm not sure that's accurate because didn't someone say that are deploying Samsung TD-LTE RUUs in some (all?) Alcatel-Lucent markets

I'm not sure that's accurate because didn't someone say that are deploying Samsung TD-LTE RUUs in some (all?) Alcatel-Lucent markets

I've read that too, but I don't know. From what I've heard, ALU is trying to bow out of the mobile scene.

As far as we know, since Samsung had Dual-Mode WiMax/TD-LTE RRU's out before Ericsson got their TD-LTE RRU's approved, that all the 8 TD-LTE markets are using Samsung equipment. However, none of us know for 100% certainty. Some of them could be Ericsson, but then those Clearwire sites would have multiple RRU's per sector, one for Wi-Max, and one for TD-LTE.

As far as we know, since Samsung had Dual-Mode WiMax/TD-LTE RRU's out before Ericsson got their TD-LTE RRU's approved, that all the 8 TD-LTE markets are using Samsung equipment. However, none of us know for 100% certainty. Some of them could be Ericsson, but then those Clearwire sites would have multiple RRU's per sector, one for Wi-Max, and one for TD-LTE.

Aren't they also considering using NSN for some TD-LTE sites?

Clear as mud.

I haven't seen an announcement yet, nor has any information leaked on the web yet, but with NSN building and then getting FCC approval, it's very possible that an official announcement is coming soon. I would gladly welcome such an announcement from Sprint on the subject.

I haven't seen an announcement yet, nor has any information leaked on the web yet, but with NSN building and then getting FCC approval, it's very possible that an official announcement is coming soon. I would gladly welcome such an announcement from Sprint on the subject.

Would the NSN RUUs be compatible with all of the NV vendor cabinets? Also, given that we haven't seen any Alcatel-Lucent TD-LTE RRUs I would guess it's just a matter of time until they either announce it or just start using them. But that's pure speculation.

Would the NSN RUUs be compatible with all of the NV vendor cabinets? Also, given that we haven't seen any Alcatel-Lucent TD-LTE RRUs I would guess it's just a matter of time until they either announce it or just start using them. But that's pure speculation.

That's the funny thing about Alcatel-Lucent too. Their SMR 800 RRU's aren't theirs. They were made by another company and A/L FCC labels were placed on them. So it may be that A/L hired NSN for their particular band 41 RRU's.

That's the funny thing about Alcatel-Lucent too. Their SMR 800 RRU's aren't theirs. They were made by another company and A/L FCC labels were placed on them. So it may be that A/L hired NSN for their particular band 41 RRU's.

That's kind of sad, really. I understand that it isn't exactly a popular band but they knew that when they accepted the contract.