Band 25 Pico Cells (Samsung)

lilotimz

Major carriers partner to bring LTE to Chicago's subway

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has announced that the city has reached a deal with Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile to bring 4G LTE from all four carriers to the Chicago Transit Authority's subway system. The network, which will replace the decade-old system currently in Chicago's subways, will provide continuous coverage for 22 miles.

The deal is worth $32.5 million with all four carriers agreeing to fund the entire upgrade related to the design and construction of a next generation distributed antenna system. The upgrade is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2015.

Source: City of Chicago

Will Sprint be utilizing these 1900 LTE Pico Cells for Chicago's subway?

Das systems are not pico cells.

Pico cells are individual all in one packages whereas Das are a series of connected multiband antenna nodes that carriers subscribe to by connecting their macro equipment into the system.

Plus these are outdoor pico cells and not indoor ones.

• Like 1

Das systems are not pico cells.

Pico cells are individual all in one packages whereas Das are a series of connected multiband antenna nodes that carriers subscribe to by connecting their macro equipment into the system.

Plus these are outdoor pico cells and not indoor ones.

I know DAS are not pico cells, I should have re-phased it differently.  

So could I, in theory, buy one of these off ebay and put it onto the side of my house plug it into my Ethernet and go?

I'm sure it would add at least 10k to the value of the house!! :lol:

So could I, in theory, buy one of these off ebay and put it onto the side of my house plug it into my Ethernet and go?

I'm sure it would add at least 10k to the value of the house!! :lol:

It would probably reduce the value of your house. Lots of people don't want to live next to a cell tower.

The radiation gives cancer /s

That is controversial as the science wouldn't support the energy in radio waves being carcinogenic. But our understanding of radio - especially radio in such close proximity to our bodies is limited.

AxC4qIfl.png

I've always wondered, In NYC where you have huge Indoor Transit Hubs (Penn Station, Port Authority, Grand Central, WTC) with zillions of people moving through them damn near 24/7. I wonder is DAS systems or Small Cells the best route for Sprint to take to cover these High Volume Hubs? This is the missing piece of the "Solid NYC Network Coverage" puzzle in my daily travels..

I've always wondered, In NYC where you have huge Indoor Transit Hubs (Penn Station, Port Authority, Grand Central, WTC) with zillions of people moving through them damn near 24/7. I wonder is DAS systems or Small Cells the best route for Sprint to take to cover these High Volume Hubs? This is the missing piece of the "Solid NYC Network Coverage" puzzle in my daily travels..

http://networks.nokia.com/system/files/document/nokia_indoor_deployment_strategies_white_paper__2_.pdf

• Like 2

Looks interesting! When can I buy one? :D I kid, I kid.

Heh... I wouldn't mind replacing the Airave I snuck in my office in an undisclosed, fringe coverage location with one of these bad boys. Or at least a long-rumored Airave LTE...

• Like 3

Heh... I wouldn't mind replacing the Airave I snuck in my office in an undisclosed, fringe coverage location with one of these bad boys. Or at least a long-rumored Airave LTE...

Or one of these bad boys:

http://www.ericsson.com/ourportfolio/products/rbs-6402

$2,000 for perfect coverage!

• Like 2

I've spotted 2 small cell locations near me. One in Toms Brook and the other in Woodstock, VA. It appears they are B25 only. Each site has two cells, each with their own GCI. I'm in an ALU market (Shentel) so I assume that's what they are but I'm not sure.

Sent from my Note 4.

I hope I don't derail this Samsung thread too much, but is the ALU equivalent their Metro Cell Outdoor (B25) ?  As far as B41 support I can't find anything from ALU.  The closest thing is the Metro Radio Outdoor for B38.  Know of anything else?

Here's where I got that info from:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/workshop/OVERVIEW%20-%20Milind%20Buddhikot%20-%20Alcatel%20Lucent.pdf

ALU does not have a Band 41 pico cell. They will utilize a third party pico cell vendor who has worked closely with Sprint and ALU and the other vendors over the past year. 

• Like 3

Updated OP to include indoor pico cells..

Will they put up picocells in neighborhoods?

Depends if the load in a specific area requires additional capacity that is not worth the cost to deploy an additional macro cell. 

• Like 2

Updated OP to include indoor pico cells..

Depends if the load in a specific area requires additional capacity that is not worth the cost to deploy an additional macro cell.

Ah ic.

How do pico cells work? Do they create a signal or do they boost a signal?

• 2 weeks later...