Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge User Thread

SturgeonGeneral

2 hours ago, DurhamHusker said:

My 18 month old S7 has officially bit the dust. Local repair shop says the main board is toast. Sprint techs telling me the same thing. No drops or water ... just quit working all of a sudden. Interesting that the report I got is that the display flex was creased and nearly severed.

Samsung is really pushing the boundaries of squeezing stuff into these geometries. I think I'm done with Galaxy devices.

Looking at the Pixel 2. Smaller battery than the S8, but maybe that means it's cutting fewer corners on the mechanical side of the design shop.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Sorry to hear your GS7 has died.  Has this kind of premature death happened to many of your Samsung phones?  

If you don't want a Samsung phone anymore, I think your idea about getting the Pixel 2 is a good idea (not the XL).  Fast  & 3-years-long Google updates, great camera, good screen, and front-facing speakers.  

I've owned nothing but Samsung phones for a long time. OG Epic, GS3, GS5, GS7. My grandmother is still using my GS5 and I'm limping along with my old GS3, currently. This is the first one that's died on me. However, I've heard others with less serious hardware issues surrounding their GS7s. Coupled with the Note 7 fiasco and the recent body of work doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence. I've also been less and less excited about the bloated Samsung software experience and lagging updates, especially as these devices age.

3 hours ago, S4GRU said:

18 months for a well cared for smartphone is not good.

The operative words are "well cared for."  That, I almost never see among cellphones and their owners.  Some people may say or think they exhibit appropriate concern, but compared to me, they treat their cellphones with all the care of red headed stepchildren.

AJ

• Like 1

The operative words are "well cared for."  That, I almost never see among cellphones and their owners.  Some people may say or think they exhibit appropriate concern, but compared to me, they treat their cellphones with all the care of red headed stepchildren.
AJ
I take care of my phones. Evidenced by the fact that they're all still working well with nary a scratch. With the exception of the GS7, of course.

-- This post brought to you today by the letters G ... and S ... and by the number 3.

With specials thanks to Android 4.4 KitKat and Tapatalk. ;-)

My preorder GS7 Edge picked up on 3/7/2016 is still going strong.  Absolutely no issues.  I only had the battery replaced once with a new free one under Samsung warranty.  

On 10/28/2017 at 3:36 PM, DurhamHusker said:

I've owned nothing but Samsung phones for a long time. OG Epic, GS3, GS5, GS7. My grandmother is still using my GS5 and I'm limping along with my old GS3, currently. This is the first one that's died on me. However, I've heard others with less serious hardware issues surrounding their GS7s. Coupled with the Note 7 fiasco and the recent body of work doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence. I've also been less and less excited about the bloated Samsung software experience and lagging updates, especially as these devices age.

Ive had two hardware issues.

The first is that the camera lens cracked. Very odd because the phone is never in the same pocket as the keys. Also very off because hundreds of people online complained of the same issue.

Second issue is that the black paint or whatever it is on my home button has peeled off in the middle. Hasnt affected use, but looks ugly.

Ive had two hardware issues.
The first is that the camera lens cracked. Very odd because the phone is never in the same pocket as the keys. Also very off because hundreds of people online complained of the same issue.
Second issue is that the black paint or whatever it is on my home button has peeled off in the middle. Hasnt affected use, but looks ugly.
Camera lenses being susceptible to cracking was one of the issues I've seen and heard, actually.

4 minutes ago, SturgeonGeneral said:

They had been coming between MONTHLY right around the first give or take a week.

Was there an update last month or has it been six weeks now?

Nope this is the first in a while.

Don't see any evidence of Calling Plus.

Anyone else having issues when the S7 is on a Magic Box?  I use one at work and texts/calls do not come through when it is on the Magic Box.  I know when you call out it ends up using a nearby tower vs the MB.

Nope this is the first in a while.
Don't see any evidence of Calling Plus.
Anyone else having issues when the S7 is on a Magic Box?  I use one at work and texts/calls do not come through when it is on the Magic Box.  I know when you call out it ends up using a nearby tower vs the MB.
Only data goes through a Magic Box so calls would have to go through a tower until the S7 gets calling plus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Wasn't that Nov 13th? The one today would be the December patch?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Before I updated my S7, I was on the Oct 1 patch, it now says Nov 1. Samsung seems to always be about 5-6 weeks behind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bad news, Calling Plus is not coming to the S7/edge. Hand-off to LTE from WiFi works as of now. 
nJLMR9g.jpg
Who is that Craig S person? Sprint engineer?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk