Google planning to launch a set of Nexus devices for Android 5.0

ericdabbs

It looks like Google wants to take a different approach this year for Android 5.0 with their Nexus device lineup by having multiple Nexus devices this year with different manufacturers. Specific details haven't been established yet but we can guess that more details will come at Google I/O. We could guess that a Nexus device will be coming from Motorola, Samsung, HTC and LG and potential more manufacturers. The other key thing is that the Nexus phone lineup this year will be sold directly by Google. This is big because the last time Google sold a device directly was with the Nexus One on Tmobile and the carriers cannot put their footprint on it.

Part of the motivation behind launching multiple Nexus devices is to increase the adoption rate of the next Android software to lessen fragmentation of which we know is horrendous right now. The adoption rate of ICS is probably still less than 10% of the Android users. Also by launching a Nexus devices for each manufacturer it eliminates the possibility of preferential treatment. This also reduces the huge learning curve by manufacturers to build ROMS of the latest Android software on their existing devices since each manufacturer can use the Nexus device Android software as a baseline to build the necessary drivers and ROMS and reduce the wait time for an upgrade release on existing devices. If this works out this year for Android Jelly Bean, I hope Google continues with this model for future Android versions.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/15/google-planning-multiple-nexus-devices-android-jelly-bean/

• Like 3

Nice, thanks for the info. This will make it much easier to wait to upgrade to an LTE phone. Since my market isn't scheduled yet, I doubt to see it until late 2013 and even with that I'm crossing my fingers.

Well, first of all, this isn't an official announcement, so let's wait until it actually happens.

Second of all, Google needs to overcome the problems that happened with the first phone they tried to sell direct, the Nexus One. The lack of retail sales and distribution channel, high unlocked price and problems with delivery and activations all led to pretty underwhelming sales. I read a lot of comments on other sites mentioning bypassing the carriers and selling directly to consumers, but Google should be careful not to characterize this a Nexus vs. carriers battle because the carriers have been key to the growth of Android. There's no reason not to let the carriers sell the Nexus devices under subsidy and under contract as they do now. They should simply allow unlocked phones to be sold directly, but not make that the exclusive sales channel. While they're at it, stop the silly carrier exclusivity. The Galaxy Nexus was hot when it was first announced, but now it has rivals in the Evo 4g LTE (One X) and Galaxy SIII.

Well, first of all, this isn't an official announcement, so let's wait until it actually happens.

Are you suggesting we should wait to comment about this concept and article until after it happens? :scratch:

Robert

Are you suggesting we should wait to comment about this concept and article until after it happens? :scratch:

Robert

LOL. Yeah I guess we should hold off our comments until Google finishes producing these multiple Nexus phones on multiple manufacturers first before discussing what our thoughts are.

Just saying that all the articles around the web are just pointing back to this single WSJ article with no independent verification. The WSJ does make mistakes from time to time...

I've always felt that one nexus device on one Network was a bad idea and seeing how Verizon messed up the last one leads me to believe this rumor. But lets try to disect this for a moment. If a Nexus device will be coming from Motorola, Samsung, HTC and LG and potential more manufacturers that will be 5 nexus devices. Would all be on each network. I don't see that happening. But then again stranger things have happened.

TS

I've always felt that one nexus device on one Network was a bad idea and seeing how Verizon messed up the last one leads me to believe this rumor. But lets try to disect this for a moment. If a Nexus device will be coming from Motorola, Samsung, HTC and LG and potential more manufacturers that will be 5 nexus devices. Would all be on each network. I don't see that happening. But then again stranger things have happened.

TS

My guess is that all of these devices will be sold as unlocked gsm phones on Google Play. I doubt we'll see all five built for each carrier in the US.