I know this is a old topic but is there any way to find out when a tower is going to be decommed, the tower is located in Earleville Md 21919 I at one time time saw it was scheduled for spring 2012 but don't know if it is indeed dead.

When the heck is Sprint giong to start decommissioning more Nextel towers? I hope more decommissioning occurs before June 2013. They need to knock down those extra operating costs for these iDEN towers.

When the heck is Sprint giong to start decommissioning more Nextel towers? I hope more decommissioning occurs before June 2013. They need to knock down those extra operating costs for these iDEN towers.

I have a friend who has a friend who still has Nextel service. He received a notice saying Sprint was disconnecting his service in 60 days, but Sprint would give him a new CDMA device for free.

Seems like they may be forcing iDEN to shut down early. I don't know if this is only a local thing, regional or national. First time I heard it was this past weekend. Exciting to consider. But even at the worst, just over 5 months left!

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 9

I have a friend who has a friend who still has Nextel service. He received a notice saying Sprint was disconnecting his service in 60 days, but Sprint would give him a new CDMA device for free.

Seems like they may be forcing iDEN to shut down early. I don't know if this is only a local thing, regional or national. First time I heard it was this past weekend. Exciting to consider. But even at the worst, just over 5 months left!

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

If that's the case, then March may bring Network Vision full steam ahead! Maybe we will have 1500 to 2000 updates per week all through the summer! :)

I work for a national firm that has Sprint DAS and uses Nextel for PTT and Blackberry service. We were advised by Sprint/Nextel last summer that we would need to transition to CDMA devices by June 2013. It doesn't appear there is any hurry to switch us to CDMA, we haven't even started testing new devices yet even though iDEN goes dark June 30th.

If that is so, Robert is going to need a personal assistant!

I think that Robert prefers personal digital assistants.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

i know i'm resurrecting a old thread but i think it still plays a part now that sprint softbank and clear have fully merged and sprint has a new influx of capital and its a fair bet that more iden only sites may be upgraded to NV it would be nice to know some new numbers of how many iden only towers will be kept now that sprint has the money to do so 

I would have expected all iden sites to have already been disconnected prior to softbank, and any that were not, were already earmarked to be upgraded.

Further, I would expect that even though it has been mentioned that softbank would like to expand, little to no expansion will happen until all or nearly all existing sites are fully upgraded/updated and sprint is either making a profit or well on its way to.

I don't think the (stock) market will let sprint start expanding any footprint until sprint has proven that it can be profitable within its existing footprint and network.

Time will tell. It would be nice. There was a Nextel tower right at the edge of town where my dad lives in rural Iowa and there was good coverage. Now the entire area is dark. It would be nice to be able to have Sprint coverage when I visit. I hope that perhaps 800 mhz SMR will provide a glimmer of coverage since all around him there is Sprint service.