Athens, GA LTE

danielholt

Hey Robert,

I noticed that AT04XC505 goes 4G LTE live on May 12th ... I did a crow flies measurement tool on it, and its only 1.7 miles from my apartment... I assume this should be close enough to get a signal?

Untitled.png

Hey Robert,

I noticed that AT04XC505 goes 4G LTE live on May 12th ... I did a crow flies measurement tool on it, and its only 1.7 miles from my apartment... I assume this should be close enough to get a signal?

Untitled.png

I was wondering the same thing as far as what kind of range a typical tower will have. I am guessing an average of about 3 to 5 miles in real world situations. Maybe someone else can chime in with an answer.

i can affirm that 5 miles is definately too far.

I guess I am talking about simply getting a signal in general not necessarily an lte signal.

It all depends on the downtilt. Signal can go over 5 miles in rural areas if pointed high enough and the physical conditions between you and the tower are right.

However, most cells are created to be smaller than that to support stronger signals and more users.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 1

It all depends on the downtilt. Signal can go over 5 miles in rural areas if pointed high enough and the physical conditions between you and the tower are right.

However, most cells are created to be smaller than that to support stronger signals and more users.

So on average how many miles would you say for a typical urban area?

So on average how many miles would you say for a typical urban area?

Urban? It varies again. But a place like Urban Atlanta, its approx 1 mile on average. Urban Manhattan is much denser than Urban Atlanta.

Suburban Atlanta is more like 2 miles on average. Atlanta exurbs is more like 3 miles on average. Looking at the NV sites map and looking at the site density as you zoom in on the maps illustrates it.

• Like 1

Urban? It varies again. But a place like Urban Atlanta, its approx 1 mile on average. Urban Manhattan is much denser than Urban Atlanta.

Suburban Atlanta is more like 2 miles on average. Atlanta exurbs is more like 3 miles on average. Looking at the NV sites map and looking at the site density as you zoom in on the maps illustrates it.

Yeah, I know there would be differences depending on area just wasn't sure by how much.

i have a verizon LTE hotspot as well as my sprint phone... its rediculous to see verizon lte in my apartment... i've hit 20mb upload... wish sprint could hold a candle

Screenshot_2012-05-06-15-53-41.png

That is one high upload speed! :o

That is one high upload speed! :o

I would say ridiculously high upload speed. But I could definitely get a lot of work done that way.

Hey Robert, I noticed that AT04XC505 goes 4G LTE live on May 12th ... I did a crow flies measurement tool on it, and its only 1.7 miles from my apartment... I assume this should be close enough to get a signal? Untitled.png

It is good to see LTE will soon be live in that area. Green Acres (Shopping Center) could use some phone competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsEhXE5IUCQ

AJ

So only about 66KBps for 3G? I figured the NV upgrade would be better than that, unless it was just a 4G upgrade. I remember 4-5 years ago when I could get 75-90KB (not Kb) in my small area off 3-4 bars via EVDO. Those 4G speeds are hot though. Can't wait for them to start working on the Charlotte market!

So only about 66KBps for 3G? I figured the NV upgrade would be better than that, unless it was just a 4G upgrade. I remember 4-5 years ago when I could get 75-90KB (not Kb) in my small area off 3-4 bars via EVDO. Those 4G speeds are hot though. Can't wait for them to start working on the Charlotte market!

I don't think that the new 3G network is up and running in the Atlanta area yet, just LTE. They should have 3G up sometime soon in that area and the speeds will be blazing compared to 66Kbps.

• Like 2

I don't think that the new 3G network is up and running in the Atlanta area yet, just LTE. They should have 3G up sometime soon in that area and the speeds will be blazing compared to 66Kbps.

I ran into the same problem in Boston. I visited 5 network vision sites and the 3G speeds were so variable.