Calling Plus (VoLTE "Lite")

You're certain it's using LTE for the call and not 1x?

Sent from my LG G5

Unless my Wifi figured out a way to connect itself thousands of feet away from the AP. Otherwise Yup!

Also confirmed a Sprint IP address, even did a speed test while on call, didn't reduce quality, its very good.

• Like 5

Starting with Wi-Fi making call, then dropping Wi-Fi and then using data while in call works on my LG V20 (but not with regular calls):

74250399bd47b32e89644c12b6206bd7.jpg3ce3d2f6245ec3871d5597cb20d16ee4.jpg7c2703fef91bd0b56c91b2e63ee312a5.jpgc98e4b4b3e1d88732cfe378dec7ee9ca.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

No LTE only mode on V20 (not easily) so I tried it with 3G only.  No go of course.  Drop Wi-Fi and call drops as expected.

Besides strong b41, I tried it on weak b25 and then went to basement for b26.  Took that down to -124 before issues.  Went past  -129 and SCP showed b26 dropping.  Moved phone back to -120 and call was still there.  Had another phone in my other hand on another network. As signal problems develop the lag increases slightly to the Sprint user.  The other other network user hears slightly garbled or major dropouts of your conversation. 

The results while running a speed test with good signal increased the lag to up to a second as expected, but sound quality remained good.

• Like 4

LG G4 Wi-Fi calling no longer appears to work.  It did a few months ago.  Thus not testable by me.  This phone is one off the last firmware and not Android 7 (promised, but not in a fully tested state, by the end of the year by LG - who knows if it would make it to Sprint phones.)

LG G4 Wi-Fi Calling still works, just very selective about which Wi-Fi it will use.

Edited by dkyeager

Turning wifi off while on a wifi call on the S7 and S7 edge results in a dropped call. I'm still hoping the next update will include the calling plus beta.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The LG G5 Wi-Fi Calling worked, but turning off Wi-Fi killed the call. On latest firmware, which is one month behind the LG V20 in terms of security patches.

• Like 1

Turning wifi off while on a wifi call on the S7 and S7 edge results in a dropped call. I'm still hoping the next update will include the calling plus beta.

Same for GS8+ and probably safe to assume the normal GS8 as well since they share the same software.

• Like 1

/So this is essentially wi-fi calling, but instead of using a wi-fi connection for data it uses LTE for data?

Sprint has changed Wi-Fi Calling to be compatible with Calling Plus (limited VoLTE) so you don't drop calls leaving Wi-Fi. It appears to need Andoid 7.x hence it likely broke the oldest Wi-Fi Calling as seen with the LG G4 which is on Android 6.x. Now uses AMR-WB codec (adaptive multi-rate - wideband) for HD Voice.

Thus these phones we are finding can use Calling Plus, they just can not originate Calling Plus while on LTE like the two announced devices.

How is the VoLTE limited? Lack of total priority over regular data along the data path is a key missing item, known as quality of service or QoS. The packet classification could be missing on the phones or all the equipment along the route does not know how to handle the type of service flag. Likely the phones lack packet classification since ToS has been around for 15 years or so.

A person with one of the two select phones with full Calling Plus can answer this by testing voice calls while doing a data intensive task like watching an action movie with constantly changing scenes or doing speed tests.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well, according to Sprint, when having your phone set to solely Calling Plus you apparently can't get wireless alerts...

HOWEVER, this morning I woke up to an Amber Alert. So Sprint has entirely no clue what their own  network is capable of!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So the public beta for iOS 11  is available now, and tested the handoff from wifi calling to lte. Does work, sounds good as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard if any other phones were added to the calling plus beta? My S7 and S7 edge both got an update today. I was hoping it was coming in this month's update, but maybe next month.

• Like 1

I was in a basement today and tried making a few phone calls....started off as LTE but then dropped down to 3G. Didn't lose the call at all, but obviously couldn't use data until AFTER the call was finished. I was connected to a different tower afterward too so I am baffled by it. I know, I should have taken some screenshots....my bad. 

• Like 5

I was in a basement today and tried making a few phone calls....started off as LTE but then dropped down to 3G. Didn't lose the call at all, but obviously couldn't use data until AFTER the call was finished. I was connected to a different tower afterward too so I am baffled by it. I know, I should have taken some screenshots....my bad.

OH MY. Please try to recreate and grab engineering screenshots!!!

Well, that was cool. Took call on WiFi, turned off WiFi, call continued on LTE. Surfed and talked at the same time.

I'm assuming you don't still have a Nexus 5 as it says in your profile. What phone are you using?

So I was back in that basement again, but my phone did an update and was left without cell service throughout the day until I left; I used my T-Mobile hotspot to get  emails, texts, and calls all day....so I used the Wifi calling and NOT Calling Plus. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I was back in that basement again, but my phone did an update and was left without cell service throughout the day until I left; I used my T-Mobile hotspot to get  emails, texts, and calls all day....so I used the Wifi calling and NOT Calling Plus.

Any chance you might end up back there again sometime soon?

Any chance you might end up back there again sometime soon?

Unfortunately not; I finished up the work there. :( 

I am currently up in Binghamton NY this weekend and despite being under LTE, it seems that calls are dropping when changing bands(from 26 to 25). Very strange....apparently on my end I can still hear the person I'm talking to, but on their end my voice is digitally rastered and skips. 

Unfortunately not; I finished up the work there. :(

I am currently up in Binghamton NY this weekend and despite being under LTE, it seems that calls are dropping when changing bands(from 26 to 25). Very strange....apparently on my end I can still hear the person I'm talking to, but on their end my voice is digitally rastered and skips. 

Sounds about right for Binghamton... severely overloaded sites with little capacity. I wonder if it was a bandwidth limitation on B25.

• 2 weeks later...