• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Abyss19707

Abyss19707

Member Level: 1x Advanced

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 5 running iOS 7 Beta 1, iPad 3 running iOS 6.1, Sprint Galaxy Tab Rooted running Android 2.3.3, HTC Evo Shift running Android 2.3.3, Samsung Galaxy Nexus Sprint Version running Android 4.1.3
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

AT&T is also rolling out a 10x10 configuration in markets that they can thanks to the acquisition of the Qualcomm 700 MHz spectrum. Everywhere else AT&T plans to launch a 5x5 configuration at 700 MHz.

Tmobile is planning to rollout LTE in 2013 and they are planning on a 10x10 configuration on their AWS spectrum in their top 25-50 markets. I would assume for the rest of the markets it would use a 5x5 configuration.

T-Mobile has no plans to roll out nationwide 4G LTE only has plans for top 50 markets. Also they will only be 5x5 configuration because most spectrum is being devoted to HSPA+42 and HSPA+84 which have speeds equivalent to 4G LTE. I personally believe T-Mobile should just role out HSPA+42 and HSPA+84 which will actually be faster then ATT and Verizon's 4G LTE Netowrk because T-Mobile has less customers and we have already seen in comparisons between HSPA+42 on T-Mobile and ATT's 4G LTE are almost equivalent in speeds.

#42 Deval

Deval

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 5 32GB, LG G2, iPad Mini
  • LocationJersey

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

T-Mobile has no plans to roll out nationwide 4G LTE only has plans for top 50 markets. Also they will only be 5x5 configuration because most spectrum is being devoted to HSPA+42 and HSPA+84 which have speeds equivalent to 4G LTE. I personally believe T-Mobile should just role out HSPA+42 and HSPA+84 which will actually be faster then ATT and Verizon's 4G LTE Netowrk because T-Mobile has less customers and we have already seen in comparisons between HSPA+42 on T-Mobile and ATT's 4G LTE are almost equivalent in speeds.

Well that makes sense, and as long as they use 1900mhz for HSPA+, they will be in great shape in terms of network connectivity for devices which they do not carry such as the iPhone.
My replies and comments contain my opinion on the matters which have been posted, and do not represent the rules, policies, strategies, opinions, and regulations of Sprint and should not be taken as such.

Current Phones
Apple iPhone 5 32GB - Pure Apple'ish
LG G2 (full of Sparky goodness) - Back to Android
Apple iPad Mini with Sprint LTE - Pure Apple'ish

#43 strung

strung

Member Level: 1x Advanced

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Galaxy S III Verizon
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I really don't understand why T-mobile would want to roll out LTE at all. I don't see it having any advantage for them over HSPA+.

#44 MacinJosh

MacinJosh

S4GRU Moderator & Contributing Author

• S4GRU Staff
  • 8,544 posts
  • Phones/Devices:White iPhone 5 32GB, Google Nexus 5, White iPad mini 64GB 1st Gen
  • LocationPahrump, NV & Visalia, CA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

I really don't understand why T-mobile would want to roll out LTE at all. I don't see it having any advantage for them over HSPA+.

I don't either, except for the fact that every other carrier in the US is transitioning over to it. T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is already faster in some areas than at&t & VZW, and the next step is to go to HSPA+84.

Current Devices:
Gold iPhone 5S 64GB, Google Nexus 5, & White iPad mini 64GB (1st Gen)
MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Intel Core i5 @ 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue HD, & Mac OS X 10.9.2 Build 13C64
My BBM pin: 79FE87B4

#45 Deval

Deval

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

I don't either, except for the fact that every other carrier in the US is transitioning over to it. T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is already faster in some areas than at&t & VZW, and the next step is to go to HSPA+84.

I'm assuming more capacity? Or just future proofing?
My replies and comments contain my opinion on the matters which have been posted, and do not represent the rules, policies, strategies, opinions, and regulations of Sprint and should not be taken as such.

Current Phones

#46 irev210

irev210

Turbo QAM

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Sprint
  • LocationBoston

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

T-Mobile just announced that they just contracted with Ericsson and Nokia Siemens to upgrade all 37,000 sites with LTE Rel 10.

The contracts cover LTE network installation at 37,000 cell sites as part of a two-year, $4 billion network modernization plan designed by T-Mobile parent Deutsche Telekom AG (DTE), which has said it will fund the work with cash flow from Bellevue, Washington-based T-Mobile. The contracts end in 2013.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-08/nokia-siemens-ericsson-win-t-mobile-lte-u-s-contract.html

#47 bigsnake49

bigsnake49

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 4S, Palm Treo 755p
  • LocationMelbourne, FL/Springfield, MA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

The future is LTE. However, I don't understand T-Mobile's rush to join the parade. They could wait couple of years and get a mature network built cheaply, rather than been on the bleeding edge. HSPA+ has plenty of headroom for them.
Both Verizon and Sprint have to move to LTE because of the lack of headroom on EVDO. Neither AT&T nor T-Mobile needed to move that fast. Oh, well...

#48 JoeJoeJoe

JoeJoeJoe

Member Level: eHRPD

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus5 (Sprint -> AIO soon)
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

T-Mobile's existing HSPA+ network is great, they would be better off converting their Edge/GSM markets and expanding their coverage instead of converting to LTE. They have a lot of unused spectrum around the country unused, just like the other cell companies.

Maybe LTE is a marketing buzz word, even better than using a 'g' in 4g adverts.

#49 lynyrd65

lynyrd65

Member Level: Roaming

• Honored Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 5C, TMo iPad Air (yay free data)
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

I suspect spectral efficiency, carrier aggregation in release 10, roaming (part of the att breakup deal) and VoLTE play prominent roles

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
'Merica

#50 JeffDTD

JeffDTD

Member Level: eHRPD

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Galaxy Note III
  • LocationHattiesburg, MS

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

I hope that 37,000 tower modernization includes more 3G... The press release on this mentioned, in the end, that Tmobile launched HSPA+42 in Hattiesburg, MS (my location). True? Yep. There are either 1 or 2 towers on the west side of town that have been upgraded. The truth? They deployed it to "midtown hattiesburg. I live in the "Avenues", the most popular historic area in town and adjacent to downtown. The upgrade is completely absent in downtown hattiesburg and most of hattiesburg proper. The fall from this to 2G is also pretty stark once you're 5 miles out of town. Tmobile has taken this approach in all MS cities where its deployed HSPA+.... Just upgrade a tower or two (3 in our capitol, Jackson) and add it to the coverage list.

While Sprint's native network is by no means the best here, its all 3G in the areas I frequent and 3G roaming is enabled in most places.

I wonder..... is the 4 billion pricetag of tmobile's modernization accurate?

#51 irev210

irev210

Turbo QAM

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Sprint
  • LocationBoston

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

I hope that 37,000 tower modernization includes more 3G... The press release on this mentioned, in the end, that Tmobile launched HSPA+42 in Hattiesburg, MS (my location). True? Yep. There are either 1 or 2 towers on the west side of town that have been upgraded. The truth? They deployed it to "midtown hattiesburg. I live in the "Avenues", the most popular historic area in town and adjacent to downtown. The upgrade is completely absent in downtown hattiesburg and most of hattiesburg proper. The fall from this to 2G is also pretty stark once you're 5 miles out of town. Tmobile has taken this approach in all MS cities where its deployed HSPA+.... Just upgrade a tower or two (3 in our capitol, Jackson) and add it to the coverage list.

While Sprint's native network is by no means the best here, its all 3G in the areas I frequent and 3G roaming is enabled in most places.

The 4 billion pricetag is probably pretty accurate. T-Mobile already has ethernet to something like over 80% of their towers.

Sprint's 38k towers are getting new backhaul, new basestations, new RRU's, new antennas.

The T-Mobile deal just covers LTE @ 37,000 sites. I am guessing that the remaining sites that do not have upgraded backhaul will get it.

#52 jefbal99

jefbal99

The guy from Portland...

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung Galaxy Note 2/CM10.1.3 - Motorola Photon Q (Wifey) - HP Touchpad/CM9 Nightlies
  • Location48875

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

T-Mobile's existing HSPA+ network is great, they would be better off converting their Edge/GSM markets and expanding their coverage instead of converting to LTE. They have a lot of unused spectrum around the country unused, just like the other cell companies. Maybe LTE is a marketing buzz word, even better than using a 'g' in 4g adverts.

Besides the buzz of LTE, why would TMobile invest 4 billion into an LTE conversion? HSPA+42 and 84 perform great and as noted outperform LTE in many cases.

Is there something in LTE that makes it that much better than continuing to upgrade HSPA?
Masayoshi Son, making Dish/Charlie Ergan his bitch one slide at a time...
Slideshow
WebCast

#53 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 21,001 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 5, GN2, HTC 8X and about a dozen others
  • LocationSouth Dakota USA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Besides the buzz of LTE, why would TMobile invest 4 billion into an LTE conversion? HSPA+42 and 84 perform great and as noted outperform LTE in many cases.

Is there something in LTE that makes it that much better than continuing to upgrade HSPA?

All things being equal in the way its deployed, HSPA+ does not out perform LTE. I guess you could argue maybe on the device side there are better performance attributes like battery life and device availability.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

#54 bigsnake49

bigsnake49

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

All things being equal in the way its deployed, HSPA+ does not out perform LTE. I guess you could argue maybe on the device side there are better performance attributes like battery life and device availability.

It definitely has advantages on the basestation side where you can deploy up to 8x8MIMO. Not so clear on the device side, where if you can squeeze 2x2 MIMO you're in business. Maybe on the tablet or laptop side, but I don't see anything more than 2x2 on an iPhone sized handset, do you?

#55 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

It definitely has advantages on the basestation side where you can deploy up to 8x8MIMO. Not so clear on the device side, where if you can squeeze 2x2 MIMO you're in business. Maybe on the tablet or laptop side, but I don't see anything more than 2x2 on an iPhone sized handset, do you?

Agreed. Small and medium sized smartphones are disadvantaged with MIMO larger than 2x2. Even 2x2 is tough in those little guys with an ever expanding frequency set.

I'm looking forward to a larger iPhone being released. All of a sudden these iPhoniacs who loved small phones will miraculously love larger devices. Its going to be funny.

#56 bigsnake49

bigsnake49

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

Agreed. Small and medium sized smartphones are disadvantaged with MIMO larger than 2x2. Even 2x2 is tough in those little guys with an ever expanding frequency set.

I'm looking forward to a larger iPhone being released. All of a sudden these iPhoniacs who loved small phones will miraculously love larger devices. Its going to be funny.

The other thing that needs to be considered is that MIMO is most effective in urban environments rife with multipaths. Not much good on a flat, suburban state like Florida. I have seen some good work on innovative antenna designs that are dynamically tunable to different frequencies. Also tree-shaped antennas where each branch+part of the trunk is tuned for a different frequency.

Edited by bigsnake49, 09 May 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#57 Deval

Deval

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

I had to snicker when I heard the comment made that T-Mobile would be the first to deploy multi-mode components.

But that being said, 4 billion sounds about right if you're reusing some equipment and not deploying backhaul.

Current Phones

#58 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

I had to snicker when I heard the comment made that T-Mobile would be the first to deploy multi-mode components.

But that being said, 4 billion sounds about right if you're reusing some equipment and not deploying backhaul.

Multi-mode components is a stretch. However, it does appear to be true they will be the first to deploy integrated radios (combined RRU/Panel assemblies). They are quite stellar to look at the mockups from Ericsson below. Those are so hot, I would hang them in my living room! :)

Robert

Posted Image

Source: http://s4gru.com/ind...egrated-radios/

#59 MacinJosh

MacinJosh

S4GRU Moderator & Contributing Author

• S4GRU Staff
  • 8,544 posts
  • Phones/Devices:White iPhone 5 32GB, Google Nexus 5, White iPad mini 64GB 1st Gen
  • LocationPahrump, NV & Visalia, CA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Multi-mode components is a stretch. However, it does appear to be true they will be the first to deploy integrated radios (combined RRU/Panel assemblies). They are quite stellar to look at the mockups from Ericsson below. Those are so hot, I would hang them in my living room! :)

Robert

Posted Image

I would love to have speakers that look like those in my living room. Awesome design.

Current Devices:
Gold iPhone 5S 64GB, Google Nexus 5, & White iPad mini 64GB (1st Gen)
MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Intel Core i5 @ 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue HD, & Mac OS X 10.9.2 Build 13C64
My BBM pin: 79FE87B4

#60 Deval

Deval

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Ahh, makes sense now.

Rob, voice of reason :ninja:

Current Phones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users