Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

-10 to - 15 rsrp difference. Also notice set band 41 at number 1 priority and reset phone, it defaults back band 25. Some some check your phone see if doing it to your s8.It did not do this before update.edit. save button would not work first 2 times now ok.

-10 to - 15 rsrp difference. Also notice set band 41 at number 1 priority and reset phone, it defaults back band 25. Some some check your phone see if doing it to your s8.It did not do this before update.edit. save button would not work first 2 times now ok.

I made the same mistake, latest update has a save button, you have to scroll to bottom of page.
  • Like 1

Mine has this issue. I will have a 116-118 1st carrier and the other two will be over 130.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have noticed a definite​ discrepancy in signal strength between the 1st and second carriers, but it still sticks to CA despite that.

I have noticed a definite​ discrepancy in signal strength between the 1st and second carriers, but it still sticks to CA despite that.

The S7 doesn't have this issue though. So maybe a update?

Mine has this issue. I will have a 116-118 1st carrier and the other two will be over 130.

The Pixel does the same thing. I think the radio is just more "tuned" to the PCC's frequency when CA is not actively engaged, which is a logical thing to do. When I'm on the middle carrier, the first and third both are about 10 dbm weaker. The adjacent carrier always shows 10 dbm weaker. It doesn't seem to really impact speed tests though (I don't remember if the rsrp equals out when CA engages, but my NSG screenshots show the SNR is about the same during a speed test, so I'm assuming the radio adjusts)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Has anybody else been getting "Unable to establish a wireless data connection"  LTE: ESM-31 EMM-x" error?...randomly ?...I've called support and they did the normal profile update/ factory reset procedures.

Been getting these a bunch today and some yesterday too again. Annoying.  But data still works, phone still works...just pops this data connection error up and you can't swipe it away easily. 

Any one else have there phone start shutting apps off due to heat? I had it outside listening to music over a Bluetooth speaker music not charging or plugged in and the screen was off. Then the music shut off I went over and I had a heat warning the phone was super hot. It is not even 80 here so I did not think it would overheat like that. I just thought that was neat and didn't know if anyone experienced overheating not plugged in yet.

Any one else have there phone start shutting apps off due to heat? I had it outside listening to music over a Bluetooth speaker music not charging or plugged in and the screen was off. Then the music shut off I went over and I had a heat warning the phone was super hot. It is not even 80 here so I did not think it would overheat like that. I just thought that was neat and didn't know if anyone experienced overheating not plugged in yet.

You said you had it outside, was the phone in direct sunlight?

You said you had it outside, was the phone in direct sunlight?

Half of it may have been in the sunlight It was in the corner of a plastic pool storage bench and a bluetooth speaker. The angle of the sun would not put the phone in full direct sunlight. It was a cool day and nothing else that sat in the full sun was even close to the heat coming off of it. The Bluetooth speaker sitting right next to it covering the phone some from the sun was cool to the touch.

The only time I have had a phone get that hot was years ago when it was plugged in and I was watching video with full brightness.

The only time I have had a phone get that hot was years ago when it was plugged in and I was watching video with full brightness.

Ditto on this.  I had an S-5 that would not work long in the sun if the screen brightness was turned up. It is natural to have the brightness up so you can see the screen outside.  The bright screen uses power and that equals heat.

Ditto on this. I had an S-5 that would not work long in the sun if the screen brightness was turned up. It is natural to have the brightness up so you can see the screen outside. The bright screen uses power and that equals heat.

And that makes it work harder and slower

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Half of it may have been in the sunlight It was in the corner of a plastic pool storage bench and a bluetooth speaker. The angle of the sun would not put the phone in full direct sunlight. It was a cool day and nothing else that sat in the full sun was even close to the heat coming off of it. The Bluetooth speaker sitting right next to it covering the phone some from the sun was cool to the touch.

Well if it wasn't in direct sunlight in any way then I don't know what else could have happened that would caused that.  My s8+ been running nice and cool regardless of what I thrown at it thus far.

Edit:

Could have been a random runaway app causing the cpu to run faster and longer than normal causing the heat.  I did have one issue the other day with the oculus app running non stop overnight. I went to sleep with 100% battery and woke up with 43% left, normally it should have still been at least 95%. 

I read some reports of rebooting issues, I just experienced my second random reboot (in 2 weeks) I do tax the phone, but it only seems to happen after I wake the device when their is a ton of apps running. 

Hopefully an update will address the issue.

SOLUTION!!!!

-------------------

Ok, after months of research and online help, I've finally unlocked my phone per my original OP post.

I went with this guy on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322518132661

He could improve his communication, but his service is outstanding! 

He unlocked my phone and I don't believe he used the engroot/z3x method that I've seen floating around online. In fact, I asked him about that and he said that's not what he does. From watching him do it and the feel of what's left behind is that he stripped it down and reinstalled basically what is on the sold unlocked phones. There's no weird app installed to maintain/change providers, it's not rooted, KNOX is NOT tripped... it feels like a stock-unlocked phone...and yes I'm under a contract AND financing.

My big concern was if I'd be able to go back to Sprint without it re-locking; as I basically am trying to convert my single-sim phone into a dual-sim phone to switch between providers. Sprint worked great right away, then I put in my Freedompop AT&T SIM... I entered the APN as instructed by Freedompop, and data, texting and calls all worked! It even said AT&T at the top. Now the big test... switching back to Sprint... I popped the SIM in, and it switched to Sprint and worked right away! YAY! Now is it re-locked? I put the AT&T SIM back in, NOPE, not locked! The AT&T SIM worked, and even remembered the APN settings so I can switch back and forth between Sprint & AT&T without changing any settings, no APN entries (beyond the first time), no changing network from GSM to CDMA... it's all automatic and works great!

Another aspect of my conversion to Dual-SIM was to have a Dual-SIM adapter installed so both SIMs can be installed on the phone, and I can switch SIMs/Providers/Numbers on the fly from within software... I had one from Simore but I tore the paper thin ribbon before I could even try it once... so I'll try again with Magic-SIM, which looks like a much more durable product.

So in the end... I recommend the eBay guy above, jiovaz9000 + Magic-Sim + FreedomPop AT&T SIM (free service)

• Like 4

So in the end... I recommend the eBay guy above, jiovaz9000 + Magic-Sim + FreedomPop AT&T SIM (free service)

I would love to try this but first I have to make sure this doesn't effect Sprint software updates. When we get the next security update let me know if it goes through for you.

• Like 1

I would love to try this but first I have to make sure this doesn't effect Sprint software updates. When we get the next security update let me know if it goes through for you.

My guess is he flashed firmware from the unlocked variant which works without any issues since they are signed by Samsung. If he used that method, it will most definitely fail the firmware checks in the Sprint OTA file. We'll see if that's how he did it, though.
  • Like 1

My guess is he flashed firmware from the unlocked variant which works without any issues since they are signed by Samsung. If he used that method, it will most definitely fail the firmware checks in the Sprint OTA file. We'll see if that's how he did it, though.

On the Sprint GS7E, however, flashing with the Unlocked model 935U did not DSU the phone. The DSU had to be performed first, flashed to 935U, then other GSM SIM cards worked.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Down to the last week to enter to win a NEW GALAXY S8!  Enter today!  Enter again!  Really, we need to make some money for the site!   :blink:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7690-enter-to-win-a-new-samsung-galaxy-s8-and-help-support-s4gru/

• Like 1