Sprint 3xCA ?

I got that but, does that mean B41 is on a vzw tower? Weird seeing that in a metro area. It's also a Samsung Market where GCI are usually 09B.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Might be a small cell. But it says Sprint. Might also be clear conversion.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Might be a small cell. But it says Sprint. Might also be clear conversion.

Could be a small cell. I'm my area Clearwire Sites are usually 02A.

I got that but, does that mean B41 is on a vzw tower? Weird seeing that in a metro area. It's also a Samsung Market where GCI are usually 09B.

No. You can be connected to a Sprint B41 site three miles west and VZW on a separate site five miles east. They don't have to be on the same site. In this instance the two sites could be 8 miles apart.

When you couldn't find a Sprint 1x signal for voice, it did a scan for 1x roaming. It will then continue to still scan for Sprint LTE and will connect to it. Even if roaming on 1x. To roam on 1x and stay native on LTE does not require them to be on the same site.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No. You can be connected to a Sprint B41 site three miles west and VZW on a separate site five miles east. They don't have to be on the same site. In this instance the two sites could be 8 miles apart.

When you couldn't find a Sprint 1x signal for voice, it did a scan for 1x roaming. It will then continue to still scan for Sprint LTE and will connect to it. Even if roaming on 1x. To roam on 1x and stay native on LTE does not require them to be on the same site.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ok. It's just little Weird cause it's a odd GCI for the Minnesota Market. B41 is usually 09B.

Ok. It's just little Weird cause it's a odd GCI for the Minnesota Market. B41 is usually 09B.

Could be a Sprint in store LTE GCI

• 2 weeks later...

So I caved in and bought a Google Pixel even though my Nexus 5X is still totally 100% in great condition. The Pixel is 3xCA correct ? I was still playing around and aside from seeing if I am connected to Band 25,26, or 41, I cannot tell if it is 2x CA, or 3x CA

So I caved in and bought a Google Pixel even though my Nexus 5X is still totally 100% in great condition. The Pixel is 3xCA correct ? I was still playing around and aside from seeing if I am connected to Band 25,26, or 41, I cannot tell if it is 2x CA, or 3x CA

I believe it is 3x CA capable, bit has not been enabled yet by Google.

• Like 1

I would ask @ingenium he would know more about it

• Like 2

I would ask @ingenium he would know more about it

The Pixel is 3xCA capable, but it has not been enabled yet for B41. I have seen 3xCA with it on AT&T though. There's a strong possibility 3xCA on Sprint will be enabled with the update that will be released on Monday.

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 5

The Pixel is 3xCA capable, but it has not been enabled yet for B41. I have seen 3xCA with it on AT&T though. There's a strong possibility 3xCA on Sprint will be enabled with the update that will be released on Monday.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Do you have a way to determine if the phone is just using Band 41 vs 2xCA ? I'm using signal check but it just shows the band connected. I rarely am ever connected to Band 26 here in Orange County, it's generally 25 or 41

Do you have a way to determine if the phone is just using Band 41 vs 2xCA ? I'm using signal check but it just shows the band connected. I rarely am ever connected to Band 26 here in Orange County, it's generally 25 or 41

Check the engineering screen, or use Network Signal Guru if you have root (my preferred method). Keep in mind the phone will only engage CA during an active downstream session (ie a speed test or other download). The instant it finishes (say to do the upload portion of a speed test), it drops the second carrier.

Screenshots from NSG showing 2xCA on Sprint and 3xCA on AT&T:

e59288ba8fc32ea6f0eb808a9f9ddac7.jpg

422324a96e29c786bc805edf40d43a42.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 2

Check the engineering screen, 

Sent from my Pixel XL

Awesome. I tried the app, ran speedtest, then switched back to the app and it showed 2xCA briefly. Also it showed my DL speed at 56mps in LA County which is pretty incredible. For the longest time I'd only average 17mps down. Maybe Sprint has changed the area recently but I was very surprised to see that speed.

Edited by mikeprius

Awesome. I tried the app, ran speedtest, then switched back to the app and it showed 2xCA briefly. Also it showed my DL speed at 56mps in LA County which is pretty incredible. For the longest time I'd only average 17mps down. Maybe Sprint has changed the area recently but I was very surprised to see that speed.

They may have added a small cell nearby to take some load, or maybe a Clearwire site was converted to a mini macro (adds another carrier, more capacity). So either network capacity increased, or perhaps you just did the test at a low usage time. My home site varies from 30 Mbps during the day with 2xCA to 80-100 at night. Averages in the 50-60 range. But at the same signal level but further away, I'm lucky to hit 10-15. Many variables, so when comparing tests it's important to do them in the exact same location.

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 1

They may have added a small cell nearby to take some load, or maybe a Clearwire site was converted to a mini macro (adds another carrier, more capacity). So either network capacity increased, or perhaps you just did the test at a low usage time. My home site varies from 30 Mbps during the day with 2xCA to 80-100 at night. Averages in the 50-60 range. But at the same signal level but further away, I'm lucky to hit 10-15. Many variables, so when comparing tests it's important to do them in the exact same location.

Sent from my Pixel XL

This is a separate issue, but I have a Nexus 6 as well and I have the MSL unlock code which allows me to play with the Bands. 

Currently it is enabled for 25,26,41. There's a Band 12 that is disabled. Would there be any benefit with Sprint to toggle that on as well ?

This is a separate issue, but I have a Nexus 6 as well and I have the MSL unlock code which allows me to play with the Bands.

Currently it is enabled for 25,26,41. There's a Band 12 that is disabled. Would there be any benefit with Sprint to toggle that on as well ?

Only when on Roaming.

• Like 2

I would. There is a large amount of Extended LTE (LTE roaming that comes out of your regular on network data allowance) as well as LTE Roaming (where usage comes out of your roaming allowance) that uses Band 12. I would also enable bands 2, 4 and 5 if your device supports them because they are also in use.

• Like 2

I would. There is a large amount of Extended LTE (LTE roaming that comes out of your regular on network data allowance) as well as LTE Roaming (where usage comes out of your roaming allowance) that uses Band 12. I would also enable bands 2, 4 and 5 if your device supports them because they are also in use.

With the Nexus 6, I can prioritize this. Do you have the Pixel by chance or Nexus device ? These phones support all bands and the MSL unlock is just a generic code. I wonder if I could turn on everything to increase my roaming signal. I have the Pixel as well

typed *#*#3282#*#* and started screwing around with the menus and used the MSL unlock code to edit. Nothing is showing up. They probably don't want me messing with it lol

It depends on where you live. I looked at Cali, and they have very small spots where you will be able to connect to LTE roaming. I think there may be a separate thread for more LTE Roaming info. 

• Like 1

@Tengen31 - Here's when I was driving back through Iowa when my phone claimed it was roaming on AT&T but it was actually roaming on US Cellular/Midwest Wireless.....extended network roaming. I ended up roaming for about 2 hours straight.

Only when on Roaming.

post-27270-0-94038700-1491834486_thumb.png

@Tengen31 - Here's when I was driving back through Iowa when my phone claimed it was roaming on AT&T but it was actually roaming on US Cellular/Midwest Wireless.....extended network roaming. I ended up roaming for about 2 hours straight.

Yep that's a SCP error.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

What are the speeds like on roaming LTE? Take any tests?

What are the speeds like on roaming LTE? Take any tests?

He LTE roamed onto Band 5 for this test.dee5761cf4a5e42a123f7eb4a8e717e7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1