Anyone get the RCS update yet?

So I cleared data for Messenger (this does NOT delete your messages), and when I opened it it asked me to enable enhanced messaging again. This time the settings appear and it's actually enabled.

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 2

Mine enabled last night (5X) and it works, but never received a confirmation text. Must have gone out to everyone now.

I got the confirmation text on one phone but not the other. I guess they stopped doing it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It just asked if I wanted to enabled enhanced messaging, then asked me to exclude Messenger from battery optimizing. And that was it. I think you're supposed to get a confirmation text from Sprint but I never got it, nor did another phone that got the same notice a few days ago. So it's not actually enabled...

Sent from my Pixel XL

That's exactly what happened.

I didn't realize there was an associated confirmation message.

I actually didn't get the confirmation text in Messenger, but I've tested it with someone and it indeed works. Maybe the newer version of Messenger is intercepting it similar to the way voicemail notifications work.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Got the update on my HTC 10 yesterday. I tried to send a text in airplane mode with wifi turned on and it did not work, but maybe it's not supposed to work that way? Also maybe because I sent to an ATT phone.

I did not get a confirmation text.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Got the update on my HTC 10 yesterday. I tried to send a text in airplane mode with wifi turned on and it did not work, but maybe it's not supposed to work that way? Also maybe because I sent to an ATT phone.

I did not get a confirmation text.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I think if it doesn't detect the other end is also on RCS, it falls back to SMS. If you were to send the message to an RCS enabled number it likely would have gone through.

If I have time I'll try to get a packet capture of an RCS message. Likely it's wrapped in TLS or ipsec, but it might yield some interesting information.

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that when you are texting someone, it will automatically switch to SMS when the other person doesn't have data? My wife was on the phone at one point today when I sent her a message (she was not on Wifi and obviously didn't have LTE data while on the call). It sent as SMS instead of RCS. I thought that was pretty cool. RCS seems pretty intelligent, at least so far. It will also send a message as SMS if you are on a phone call and aren't connected to wifi.

• Like 5

What's the difference between samsung enhanced messaging vs google rcs?

Samsung enhanced messaging only works with select other Samsung devices. Google RCS works with any Android device on Sprint (for now, other providers later).

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Still wish regular mms would send over wifi. Went back to samsung messenger

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Me too. If Google Messenger would incorporate MMS over WiFi (even when not RCS) I'd be happy.

Back to Samsung stock messaging.

• Like 1

I have a Sprint Note 5 and I'm suing the Google Messenger app as my default texting app. Ever since I got the message that enhanced messaging was turned on I have seen random text messages either delayed or I never receive them. Other times they come through normal and on time. This goes for regular SMS from iPhones, Android devices from other carriers, MMS (Group Messages) and even RCS messages have gone missing.

I will say it happens most often on MMS Group Messages and they come in like 24hrs late.

Anybody else have similar issues?

I have a Sprint Note 5 and I'm suing the Google Messenger app as my default texting app.

Are you serving Google Messenger the lawsuit via SMS?

AJ

• Like 3

I have a backup Ringplus line (it's free!) and just put a Moto G4 on it.  The advanced messaging options appeared.  Is this the first known case of an mvno with RCS?  Anyone want to test it with me?

• 4 weeks later...

If it will also do regular MMS over WiFi in lieu of RCS I'll be pleased as punch. I really do like Google's messenger but I'm not leaving the stock messaging app without it.

Doesn't seem to work. I got this update a d if I have no (or crappy) service in a basement or something, it does not work even with perfectly usable wifi.

• Like 1