lilotimz

Airspan AirHarmony 1000 / 4000 / 4400

A large subset of small cell deployments will be undertaken by Airspan utilizing the AirHarmony series of small cells.These small cells are capable of 40 MHz IBW for 2xCA over Band 41. More here.

Airspan iRelay 460 LTE B41 UE Relay Antenna

M8Jqkq9.jpg

AirHarmony 1000 B41 Pico 

pSb8KA2.jpg

GPv12lG.jpg

hCah5pP.jpg

ikwyie5.jpg

R6cHIkx.jpg

AirHarmony 4000 B41 Mini Macro

7kEnYP9.jpg

bua0e7g.jpg

IlQgx2X.jpg

0OqHINw.jpg

T97hXPN.jpg

Source: /u/dellop on /r/tmobile

Credit to dkyeager and the rest of the S4GRU Ohio sponsors 

• Like 14

That's actually a pretty attractive and tidy setup compared to the other small cells I've seen. The whole thing could be pretty easily confused for a coax splice box and an oddly-mounted transformer by a layperson.

• Like 3

That's actually a pretty attractive and tidy setup compared to the other small cells I've seen. The whole thing could be pretty easily confused for a coax splice box and an oddly-mounted transformer by a layperson.

About the par. Nokia ones are a bit more compact. 

• Like 1

I noticed these were named small cells vs Nokia mini macros. Do these provide less coverage than the Nokia?

Small cells is a category and can include pico cells, femto cells, DAS setups, and "mini macros" which are small cell type units with the power output of a macro radio. 

The Airspan 1000's are low powered pico cells (2x5w) while  Airspan 4000's can be considered "mini macros" as they can do 2x20w like the Nokia Mini Macro 2x20w. So I just named it small cells to cover both types. 

Small cells is a category and can include pico cells, femto cells, DAS setups, and "mini macros" which are small cell type units with the power output of a macro radio. 

The Airspan 1000's are low powered pico cells (2x5w) while  Airspan 4000's can be considered "mini macros" as they can do 2x20w like the Nokia Mini Macro 2x20w. So I just named it small cells to cover both types. 

That's good to know. I was only concerned because the person on Reddit said they saw four of these in a three block area, which seems excessive in a town under 20k. 

That's good to know. I was only concerned because the person on Reddit said they saw four of these in a three block area, which seems excessive in a town under 20k. 

There's actually close to a dozen. :)

Also just because they can broadcast high power doesn't mean they have to. Just like a wifi router, you can set the Tx power at whatever you want given the hardware and government limits. 

There's actually close to a dozen. :)

Also just because they can broadcast high power doesn't mean they have to. Just like a wifi router, you can set the Tx power at whatever you want given the hardware and government limits. 

Wow! Talk about endless capacity. Rent must be cheap for those poles, then. I was thinking they were going to blast them to somewhat replicate needed band 41 macros to minimize rent costs - but that works for me, too!

Wow! Talk about endless capacity. Rent must be cheap for those poles, then. I was thinking they were going to blast them to somewhat replicate needed band 41 macros to minimize rent costs - but that works for me, too!

Actually..... That's what they're doing with the Huawei clearwire sites that they must completely decommission by the end of this year... ....

But yeah. They just negotiate for mass approval with the city municipal entities. Easy pz.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Nicceee. I'm in a Sammy market and can't wait to see these start to pop up in Columbus, OH!!

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

In which these are a lot less expensive then a full blown cell site, which explains why they reduced cap ex but are still able to expand coverage

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

It only expands coverage in the existing footprint. in Roaming only areas is doesn't. regular cell towers will be needed for that. Small cells are LTE only and, most are band 41 only.

• 5 months later...

I believe this belongs here.  Construction drawing of small cells they wanna build in lacrosse WI.  

NOTE :  It is a pdf download. 

http://cityoflacrosse.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=4911593&GUID=0D874BE2-A1D5-4C96-935C-0540BF0D6C34

Wonder why Mobilitie can't get permits approved? 

76 feet wooden pole in urban land where most telephone / electrical wooden poles are less than 30-40 feet. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget that poles are measured in their entirely.  You have to add what is buried to what you see above ground to get pole length.

These small cells also appear to be deployed on the opposite side of the street from the power poles.  This is also true for Verizon small cells in most cases.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if this site in Willmar is the reason why I get B41 at my house. There is only 1 B41 tower in town that has been broadcasting for 2 years now, and just a few months ago I started getting B41 in one room in my house. It's a -110 to -122db connection, so really slow speeds. If I can get a location as to where it is, I can get more speedtests and pictures of the setup!

• Like 1

Don't forget that poles are measured in their entirely. You have to add what is buried to what you see above ground to get pole length.

ANSI standard setting for a 75 ft. wood pole is about 10 ft. So, you're still looking at about 65 ft. above ground.

I stopped by a proposed Mobilitie site in Los Angeles, and I can't imagine the neighbors are going to be very happy when they find out there's a 75 foot pole going up in their front yards. I want these small cells badly, but someone isn't using common sense with some of these proposed sites.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if this site in Willmar is the reason why I get B41 at my house. There is only 1 B41 tower in town that has been broadcasting for 2 years now, and just a few months ago I started getting B41 in one room in my house. It's a -110 to -122db connection, so really slow speeds. If I can get a location as to where it is, I can get more speedtests and pictures of the setup!

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3153-cheesy-esmrlte-base-station-tracker/?p=467710

This has help me track down a few sites around me. I just created a new fusion table and through the csv in to filter out the GCIs and found were the towers should be. If it is a small cell with only one sector something like cellmapper won't help and SCP logs will only get you in the area.

ANSI standard setting for a 75 ft. wood pole is about 10 ft. So, you're still looking at about 65 ft. above ground.

I stopped by a proposed Mobilitie site in Los Angeles, and I can't imagine the neighbors are going to be very happy when they find out there's a 75 foot pole going up in their front yards. I want these small cells badly, but someone isn't using common sense with some of these proposed sites.

A lot of them will be attached to lights already in the ground and I think they will be hard to spot unless you know what you are looking for.

• Like 1

They are. They are just applying common sense differently that you are. They are applying it to maximizing coverage while minimizing cost. The higher the tower the more area 2.5 will cover affectively, the fewer sites they need and the lower that CAPEX spend and up keep costs. Sprint doesn't have money to burn, especially given recent moves by other players in the market. I don't think it is a choice between one 75 foot pole or 3-4 30 foot poles for sprint. I think it is a choice between a 75 foot pole or one 30 foot pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I should have been more clear.  I was in a hurry when I wrote that.

A vast majority of the sites in L.A. are on existing street light poles, and most people probably won't notice them.

My concern was specifically about sites that are likely to get negative attention from community members.  I think with some proposals Mobilitie is going to face a lot of opposition which is going to result in delays and extra costs.

They are. They are just applying common sense differently that you are. They are applying it to maximizing coverage while minimizing cost. The higher the tower the more area 2.5 will cover affectively, the fewer sites they need and the lower that CAPEX spend and up keep costs. Sprint doesn't have money to burn, especially given recent moves by other players in the market. I don't think it is a choice between one 75 foot pole or 3-4 30 foot poles for sprint. I think it is a choice between a 75 foot pole or one 30 foot pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the CAPEX restrictions and appreciate the logic of using a higher structure.  (And your analysis is probably correct.)

However, to say that it makes sense to submit proposals that only take into consideration technical requirements is ignoring the much larger world of politics and community activism.

I would like to see Mobilitie and Sprint succeed.  I'm just concerned that some of these proposals are begging for opposition which will result in delays and additional expenses.

• Like 1

I understand the CAPEX restrictions and appreciate the logic of using a higher structure. (And your analysis is probably correct.)

However, to say that it makes sense to submit proposals that only take into consideration technical requirements is ignoring the much larger world of politics and community activism.

I would like to see Mobilitie and Sprint succeed. I'm just concerned that some of these proposals are begging for opposition which will result in delays and additional expenses.

I agree that they should start with the shorter height poles first. The 120ft seem to be existing site replacements and all have failed around Columbus and they kill the shorter height ones with them.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 3