Sprint to Demo "5G" in San Fran & Philly during Copa America

I hope this sentiment isn't shared at Sprint. People don't leave because of 1 Mbps connections which people wouldn't even notice a difference on their phones, they leave because sprint drops to 3g with sub 100 kbps speeds or no connection at all in major metropolitan areas. I can't recommend sprint to anyone in OC or else they won't be my friend for long.

Southern Cali is not an indication of Sprint in numerous other cities across the country. 

• Like 1

300 so they claim. There is still to many 3G only areas ive seen it. To much here in Minnesota along highways and, even the Zoo. Coverage is a complain as there is also to much roaming. As far as data speeds yes they need to improve. 5X5 FDD-LTE needs to be gone and, replaced with 10x10 atleast in Metro areas.

everyone is "so they claim", your experience is proving otherwise doesn't mean Sprint does not have 300 pop with LTE.

Sprint is refarming 10x10 in a few places already, but densification of b41 will help more than 10x10 in my opinion. 

everyone is "so they claim", your experience is proving otherwise doesn't mean Sprint does not have 300 pop with LTE.

Sprint is refarming 10x10 in a few places already, but densification of b41 will help more than 10x10 in my opinion.

Of course that will help band 41. There will always be places that people can't connect to Band 41, so 10x10 B25 will make things better. At my work Sprint cell site it on the roof. Inside I can't get band 41. Band 25/26 connect fine. Just slow.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Those three area are inside the metro area. Metro != city lines. I should also define "not that many" from my first post does not equal 0. Mankato has enough towers to have capacity for everyone in the city to stream music or a third of the people to stream bingeon level video. Adding small cells will not fix large area of coverage. These 5G sites will have a range of line of site of like a mile to fill in coverage or shadowing caused by tall buildings. If there are stadium, concert, or other venue where large groups of people go to outside of metros these 5g sites may see the light of day at some point. But to say these are magic bullets for every where in Minnesota is wrong. B41 on towers already there is a large source of capacity that can cover most places.

5G isn't for suburbs, rural America if they deploy mmW. It'll be a focus solely on urban neighborhoods and major cities. Minneapolis will definitely see 5G, rest of Minnesota? Probably not. Same goes for small cells.

Small cells certainly do have rural applications. Ericsson is deploying LTE small cells in BFE Southern Illinois for Verizon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Small cells certainly do have rural applications. Ericsson is deploying LTE small cells in BFE Southern Illinois for Verizon.

In Europe they strap mini macro type setups to rooftops in rural areas for coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

In Europe they strap mini macro type setups to rooftops in rural areas for coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I would say Flexi Multiradio 10 is great for that. T-Mobile uses it here. Granted it is a cluster of 8. Four Multiradio 10 DU's and four radios. That said it is still a smaller and more efficient setup than the weird E would have done if they were here.

T-Mobile not surprisingly murders VZ for data speeds here on a 10x10 PCS but no one I know other than me has given them a shot because, you know, coverage.

If they had a similar cell in Sparta I'd have already switched. Band 12 would help as well but USCC/King Street/Carlson tax sheltering has put a brake on that.

Sprint is using 800 MHz small cells for rural expansion as well.

• Like 1

As in small rural communities or to close gaps in coverage along highways?

When they expand in roaming areas let's hope they use 800mhz first.

Interesting; I'm planning to go to the kickoff game in Santa Clara on June 3 and Great America next door either that day or the day after. I doubt that there will be any noticeable effects but I'll keep an eye out.

• Like 1

As in small rural communities or to close gaps in coverage along highways?

Rural, urban, suburban -- you name it. They're putting mini macros where they can and full builds everywhere else.

Interesting; I'm planning to go to the kickoff game in Santa Clara on June 3 and Great America next door either that day or the day after. I doubt that there will be any noticeable effects but I'll keep an eye out.

You won't notice because it'll be on their own private testing equipment. However, if they do a demo on a big screen and tell people how fast it is, please let us know!

Verizon's CEO claims to have produced 1.8Gbps in Basking Ridge with their 5G fixed tests. That's EXTREMELY underwhelming.. Unless it was a small 40MHz chunk or with existing spectrum.

McAdam does state fixed wireless gives you all the return on capital you need, so it definitely looks like they wanna become a WISP. Super neat! Source here: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizons-mcadam-5g-fixed-deployment-gives-you-all-return-capital-you-need/2016-05-24

Verizon's CEO claims to have produced 1.8Gbps in Basking Ridge with their 5G fixed tests. That's EXTREMELY underwhelming.. Unless it was a small 40MHz chunk or with existing spectrum.

McAdam does state fixed wireless gives you all the return on capital you need, so it definitely looks like they wanna become a WISP. Super neat! Source here: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizons-mcadam-5g-fixed-deployment-gives-you-all-return-capital-you-need/2016-05-24

Verizon is behind.

Oh I'm well aware. One thing to keep in mind however is the range. 1.8Gbps over 0.6 miles of coverage is rather impressive!

Sprint needs to worry about Coverage then GPS speed. Coverage is why there number 4 and, why people stay away.

I still have 3 3g gmo's in Granville, OH and it's ridiculous to talk about 5g when I don't have b26 or a full 4g rollout!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

5G is important because it offers new sources of revenue with greater return which means Sprint can invest in Granville OH and give you guys 4G and even 5G

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sprint has 300 million pops with LTE and 210 million pops with LTE plus.  I think the coverage issue is overblown.  Unless, you live in a rural city.  Chances are you get LTE coverage.  It is NOT Sprint biggest complaint.  The most common complaint is Sprint data speeds.  

Sprint's biggist issue is STILL customer service. I needed a new sim card and they first guy wanted me to drive 35 miles to a store to pick one up. Sorry but Verizon still ships a FREE sim card to you even if you are next to one of their locations. In addition I find most of their foreign call center staff not very well trained. Again, Verizon does a much better job and I never had to call in twice or more times to resolve an issue.

• Like 1

Sprint's biggist issue is STILL customer service. I needed a new sim card and they first guy wanted me to drive 35 miles to a store to pick one up. Sorry but Verizon still ships a FREE sim card to you even if you are next to one of their locations. In addition I find most of their foreign call center staff not very well trained. Again, Verizon does a much better job and I never had to call in twice or more times to resolve an issue.

I'll be one of the first to criticize Sprint for things they lag behind in (mostly data speeds being slower than dialup in my area). But one thing Sprint really excels on is Customer Service. I've had 2 SIM cards shipped to me for free, with the second one being shipped overnight since the first one failed (or so we thought it did...phone factory reset fixed LTE issue). They've also added a 50 dollar credit in the past due to outages in my area.

How did you contact Sprint? Chat, email, phone? International Chat support won't hesitate to ship the sim card to you for free.

• Like 1

I would disagree with you. My last 3 calls in with Sprint were excellent.  They resolved my billing issues within mins. I never had to get a SIM since I purchase my device with Sprint.  I have dealt with ATT CS in the past and Sprint CS is always one notch above.  One time I actually wanted to know my bill line by line.  They scheduled a call and had someone called me to walk me line by line and explain all the charges with me.  I was very impressed.  My first couple bills were a mess with all the trade in credits and phone charges.  It's been smooth sailing since late 2014. 

I'll be one of the first to criticize Sprint for things they lag behind in (mostly data speeds being slower than dialup in my area). But one thing Sprint really excels on is Customer Service. I've had 2 SIM cards shipped to me for free, with the second one being shipped overnight since the first one failed (or so we thought it did...phone factory reset fixed LTE issue). They've also added a 50 dollar credit in the past due to outages in my area.

How did you contact Sprint? Chat, email, phone? International Chat support won't hesitate to ship the sim card to you for free.

Sprint needed to connect me 4 times and then CHARGED me $12 for a SIM! No credit or free SIM. My old SIM went bad and I had to get a replacement and the new SIM at least fixed the problem. I got no credit and I am a Sprint customer since 1997!

I contacted Sprint Customer care via 611.

I would disagree with you. My last 3 calls in with Sprint were excellent.  They resolved my billing issues within mins. I never had to get a SIM since I purchase my device with Sprint.  I have dealt with ATT CS in the past and Sprint CS is always one notch above.  One time I actually wanted to know my bill line by line.  They scheduled a call and had someone called me to walk me line by line and explain all the charges with me.  I was very impressed.  My first couple bills were a mess with all the trade in credits and phone charges.  It's been smooth sailing since late 2014. 

Sprint is fine as long you don't need customer service and yes service has improved and mostly there is no issue with service or my bill that I need to call. I pay my bill on time and never been late yet still connecting you to different people because or telling me that the LG G3 has an internal SIM.

I had sprint send me 3 sims for free over the Web chat. At the same time. Don't waste your time with the actual people just try web chat next time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 2