Sprint to Demo "5G" in San Fran & Philly during Copa America

Marcelo tweeted that Sprint 5G will be demonstrated at Levis Stadium and Lincoln Financial Field during this summer's Copa America Centenario tournament.  San Francisco is June 3rd and 6th, Philly is June 9th, 11th, & 14th.

sprint.com/22fgxis

Since there is no 5G standard yet, what are they going to be showing off?!?! Just really Wideband LTE-A with crazy fast backhaul?

• Like 1

So LTE-A on huge channels, highband spectrum

This week, Ericsson submitted an application for Special Temporary Authority (STA) to conduct a 5G demo for an unnamed customer June 8-14 at Lincoln Financial Stadium in Philadelphia. The application states that Ericsson plans to conduct demos on June 9, 11 and possibly 14 during the pre- and post-shows surrounding the COPA soccer finals.

Ericsson requested confidential treatment for much of the information related to the STA application, but it did say it will use spectrum and antenna parameters that the FCC has granted authorization for Ericsson to use previously. It's asking to transmit on 14.5-15.35 GHz only because the experimental equipment that it will be using was designed in Sweden to operate on that spectrum.

Ericsson will use one experimental 5G base station and one piece of experimental 5G mobile user equipment, and it's aiming to keep the base station and mobile unit within 50 feet of each other.

Since there is no 5G standard yet, what are they going to be showing off?!?! Just really Wideband LTE-A with crazy fast backhaul?

This is pretty much the idea, yeah. LTE, which we all know stands for Long Term Evolution, is going to be the main source of data connections for a very long time, including going into 5G. Wideband LTE-A with MIMO and higher level QAM probably

Sprint needs to worry about their coverage and, upgradeing their remaining 3G footprint to LTE before worrying about 5G. That's sprint biggest Complain is their coverage. That's my biggest issue,

• Like 5

Sprint needs to worry about their coverage and, upgradeing their remaining 3G footprint to LTE before worrying about 5G. That's sprint biggest Complain is their coverage. That's my biggest issue,

Sprint has 300 million pops with LTE and 210 million pops with LTE plus.  I think the coverage issue is overblown.  Unless, you live in a rural city.  Chances are you get LTE coverage.  It is NOT Sprint biggest complaint.  The most common complaint is Sprint data speeds.  

• Like 6

300 so they claim. There is still to many 3G only areas ive seen it. To much here in Minnesota along highways and, even the Zoo. Coverage is a complain as there is also to much roaming. As far as data speeds yes they need to improve. 5X5 FDD-LTE needs to be gone and, replaced with 10x10 atleast in Metro areas.

• Like 2

It's important Sprint looks at 5G because the 5G tech, while other carriers plan to use it for millimeter waves, Sprint can use it with band 41. That means instead of 20+20 CA, it could just be one large 40, 60, 80, 100MHz carrier. It's important for certain over capacity locations.

• Like 1

Oh I agreed with that. Im just tired of losing Data or only getting 3G in Places. I'm giving them to the end of the year to fix that or im switching. Stinks getting 3G when I can get LTE from another company. This is all coming from a Sprint Fan boy who wants atleast att coverage.

• Like 2

Oh I agreed with that. Im just tired of losing Data or only getting 3G in Places. I'm giving them to the end of the year to fix that or im switching. Stinks getting 3G when I can get LTE from another company. This is all coming from a Sprint Fan boy who wants atleast att coverage.

Small cells will fix that, and 5G means LOTS of small cells for all carriers, so network gaps will become a thing of the past

• Like 1

Small cells will fix that, and 5G means LOTS of small cells for all carriers, so network gaps will become a thing of the past

I know. Lots of articles having been claiming thos will not Happen until April 2017. Hope it's bull.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Can they deploy small cells on these. There in my backyard that would be amazing if they could. 5603c255cdfdbb1c75a2346d914601f9.jpg

Shentel have many macro sites on power lines but it can be more expense to maintain.

Minnesota will not see that many small cell outside of Minneapolis–Saint Paul metro to fix holes. If any for awhile sprint has to worry about return on investment.  The population density for Minnesota means that they will be on the back burner. There are to many major metros on the coasts that have higher population to worry about then a small population density state.

• Like 1

Shentel have many macro sites on power lines but it can be more expense to maintain.

Minnesota will not see that many small cell outside of Minneapolis–Saint Paul metro to fix holes. If any for awhile sprint has to worry about return on investment. The population density for Minnesota means that they will be on the back burner. There are to many major metros on the coasts that have higher population to worry about then a small population density state.

So in other words time to switch to Verizon. I'm not willing to wait much longer to stay Connected to LTE and, NOT 3G. Tho I did read plans for 1,000 small cells in the twin cities.

So it's gonna be a 5G "demonstration." My guess is that Sprint will have a large TV with a speed test page on it showing a static image of 1 terabyte per second.

Minnesota will not see that many small cell outside of Minneapolis–Saint Paul metro to fix holes. If any for awhile sprint has to worry about return on investment.  The population density for Minnesota means that they will be on the back burner. There are to many major metros on the coasts that have higher population to worry about then a small population density state.

The Twin Cities will see a healthy small cell deployment. But I don't think can completely throw the rest of Minnesota under the bus. We know that places like Lincoln, NE will likely see small cell deployment, even Sedalia, MO (check that one for population density). So a few small cells here and there to help coverage and capacity, even in low population areas can be expected. 

• Like 1

Can they deploy small cells on these. There in my backyard that would be amazing if they could.

It's possible, but probably much more red tape to deploy on those rather than street lights or regular power poles. I wouldn't expect much to happen with those. As for the issues on I-35 that you are referencing, I do not know what Sprint's approach to highway coverage will be at this point. I would imagine they are still actively working to get LTE on every site along the stretch (that has not happened yet), and then see about adding a macro site here or there to provide continuous coverage. 

• Like 2

Sprint has 300 million pops with LTE and 210 million pops with LTE plus. I think the coverage issue is overblown. Unless, you live in a rural city. Chances are you get LTE coverage. It is NOT Sprint biggest complaint. The most common complaint is Sprint data speeds.

I hope this sentiment isn't shared at Sprint. People don't leave because of 1 Mbps connections which people wouldn't even notice a difference on their phones, they leave because sprint drops to 3g with sub 100 kbps speeds or no connection at all in major metropolitan areas. I can't recommend sprint to anyone in OC or else they won't be my friend for long.
  • Like 7

So it's gonna be a 5G "demonstration." My guess is that Sprint will have a large TV with a speed test page on it showing a static image of 1 terabyte per second.

Even though you're joking, you're pretty much right actually! I believe they're using the demo tech to wirelessly broadcast the game in 4K on some multiple large displays

I hope this sentiment isn't shared at Sprint. People don't leave because of 1 Mbps connections which people wouldn't even notice a difference on their phones, they leave because sprint drops to 3g with sub 100 kbps speeds or no connection at all in major metropolitan areas. I can't recommend sprint to anyone in OC or else they won't be my friend for long.

[emoji115]

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprints-5g-plans-no-surprise-analysts/2016-05-05

In comments submitted to the FCC last month, Sprint noted that it holds about 19,000 fixed microwave licenses and is one of the largest users of licensed fixed microwave systems in the U.S. Sprint operates more than 200 microwave paths at 28 GHz as a lessee, and as 5G services emerge, the need for backhaul services, included fixed microwave backhaul, will increase, the operator said.

Oh damn, this could be very helpful in the long run! Someone quickly aggregate their microwave holdings and start S5GRU!