Q4 2015 Sprint Corp Earnings (Jan-Mar 2016)

NYC126

95% outdoors and 85% indoors. I'm almost never not on b41.

85% indoor that is impressive.  I notice on sensorly.com in NY there are more dark purple areas compared to a few months ago. B41 has poor propagation but yet you get the signal 85% indoor, is it because of beam forming and 4r4r antenna or maybe because of small cells?

85% indoor that is impressive. I notice on sensorly.com in NY there are more dark purple areas compared to a few months ago. B41 has poor propagation but yet you get the signal 85% indoor, is it because of beam forming and 4r4r antenna or maybe because of small cells?

Beam forming and carrier aggregation makes a huge difference. Before those were implemented i couldnt get B41 at my house and inconsistently at work, now both are solid b41 coverage areas for me.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

85% indoor that is impressive.  I notice on sensorly.com in NY there are more dark purple areas compared to a few months ago. B41 has poor propagation but yet you get the signal 85% indoor, is it because of beam forming and 4r4r antenna or maybe because of small cells?

Yes, and I think alot of that allowed them to properly optimize B41 to run well even in low signal situations. They have done an excellent job here in NYC optimizing the crap out of Band 41.

Yes, and I think alot of that allowed them to properly optimize B41 to run well even in low signal situations. They have done an excellent job here in NYC optimizing the crap out of Band 41.

One answer gives birth to another question or questions:  if that is the case, can we say that at the moment they don't really need small cells as much in NY city since B41 has the capacity and more than adequate coverage?  Secondly, why situations in LA or west coast are different?  I heard Sprint's network on that side is not as good? 

One answer gives birth to another question or questions:  if that is the case, can we say that at the moment they don't really need small cells as much in NY city since B41 has the capacity and more than adequate coverage?  Secondly, why situations in LA or west coast are different?  I heard Sprint's network on that side is not as good? 

There certain parts of NYC that aren't as dense, (ironically I don't travel to those areas that often) that can use densification, like lower Manhattan and certain spots in the outer boroughs. Also some indoor structures of course.

So while we can definitely use the small cells (and according to sources we are getting, and alot of them), I'm sure they're plenty of other markets that are in a lot worse shape than NYC that can take advantage of it. 

Problem is, NYC has over eight million potential suitors, its a hard argument to beat.

Because NYC was built out super dense by both Sprint and Clearwire so the merging of the two network made an even more dense network. AFAIK, Clearwire didn't build out nearly as well in other cities as they did in NYC. I remember back when I had an EVO 4G that I could pull 16Mbps (which was fast at the time). But small cells will help relieve congestion and add capacity as well as coverage. 

Think about it this way, NYC alone is slightly greater than th the population of the state of California. If Sprint is going to keep up with capacity demands, they need to deploy small cells there.

• Like 2

Agreed with the above....I've got 2xB41 in probably 80% of the places I go now. Ironically, only 3G at home - but very usable and I've got WiFi anyway. :D

I bounce between 3xB41, 2xB41 and B25/26 on my way to and from work every day but B41 is getting better in the East Bay each week. Yesterday I noticed another Sprint site that used to be a C.earwire site and it came online straight 3xB41.

Marcelo has his eyes on T-Mobile.

So glad to see the fundamentals have improved.

T-Mobile is the flashy kid, that seems to offer something new but most people are not looking past the hype which is selling the same BS as all the other in a new packaging.

Because NYC was built out super dense by both Sprint and Clearwire so the merging of the two network made an even more dense network. AFAIK, Clearwire didn't build out nearly as well in other cities as they did in NYC. I remember back when I had an EVO 4G that I could pull 16Mbps (which was fast at the time). But small cells will help relieve congestion and add capacity as well as coverage. 

Think about it this way, NYC alone is slightly greater than th the population of the state of California. If Sprint is going to keep up with capacity demands, they need to deploy small cells there.

I have never seen 16MB down, the max I had in SoCal was 12-13MB down on WiMax. I have a Clearwire site directly across the street, that was shortly B41 but shut down last year.

Edited by orangeblue
  • Like 3

Definitely different experience in different markets, here in NYC and NJ I agree with Deval, im on B41 about 95% of time in NYC and bout 85% in NJ.

Agree. Was in NYC 2 weeks back and on B41 most of the time except in Bronx and of course Grand Central.

Basically the answer is no and will continue to be no since Sprint doesn't want to make promises that could potentially be detrimental is they don't follow through. It's the mistake Sprint made under Hesse and I'm willing to bet Marcelo won't be making them again.

True. I don't blame him. Just hope a lot of good things are happening behind the scenes

Like you didn't pickup B41 in the the Bronx or you weren't in the Bronx?

I was in the Bronx during the day. Picked up B41 most of the time but was out at Fordham campus and some area's weren't strong.

I was in the Bronx during the day. Picked up B41 most of the time but was out at Fordham campus and some area's weren't strong.

Gotcha. Fordham U, and the bronx botanical gardens could use some densification. I'm sure they are coming.

I see the weakness in the smaller providers is that there's no opportunity for a converged experience between fixed home broadband and mobile for the most part in this country. AT&T has converged opportunity with wireline and DirecTV. Verizon kind of has that with FiOS in the Northeast but they got rid of wireline everywhere else. That said, it's kind of shocking I don't see a truly converged network experience on the horizon in most places in the US.

I can see cable operators making the same observation toward mobile. At what point does it make sense for a cable co to buy a mobile operator or vice versa? If I'm Comcast I'm looking at what opportunities could be had in this regard.

I just see the business as running wireless only and to be honest the smaller providers still have a large disadvantage in the balance sheet.

I am impressed that Sprint has done so well though. It's going to be a interesting summer.

Sprint barely gained postpaid subscribers this past quarter, and that was only because they extended their half-off promotion from end of last year.

The big question is whether Sprint can gain momentum in growth, let alone keep subscriber additions positive, without expensive gimmicks.

Sprint barely gained postpaid subscribers this past quarter, and that was only because they extended their half-off promotion from end of last year.

The big question is whether Sprint can gain momentum in growth, let alone keep subscriber additions positive, without expensive gimmicks.

I think its not just the cost factor, but the low churn rate is super important. Meaning a whole lot of folks are deciding to stick around, which is key.

I will just leave this here. This is S advantage over the others.

Check out @billho888's Tweet: https://twitter.com/billho888/status/727477710113673220?s=09

Sorry, but that midband and low band spectrum still has to grow for the time being. 5G is still years away and outside of very dense network areas, 2.5/2.6 GHz doesn't work very well. Building penetration will continue to be a big problem for B41 and working towards solutions to overcome the extremely fragile airlink will take time, which Sprint doesn't have. 8T8R panels have helped, but it still has trouble penetrating buildings.

It will be interesting to see if Sprint will use just the 2.5/2.6 GHz band for 5G or if it will continue on the vision of one day combining their PCS spectrum for uplink and EBS/BRS band for downlink.

Well, they outgained ATT and VZW in postpaid phone subs.. That's something that doesn't happen every day.

Well, they outgained ATT and VZW in postpaid phone subs.. That's something that doesn't happen every day.

It probably didn't. But it doesn't happen every quarter either.[emoji14]

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

And outgaining ATT and VZW was due to...  a 50% off ATT/VZW bill promotion? ;)

And I'm not trying to start an argument here.. Just though it was an interesting nugget. T-mo seems to be stealing the bulk of the customers from the big two. I miss the days of Sprint gaining big chunks of subscribers.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk