Band 26 & 41 Mini Macro (Nokia Networks)

lilotimz

Nokia Networks

Flexi Zone Micro High Power 2x20W BTS

This equipment is what is known as a "mini macro" for it has the footprint of a low powered small cell unit but the power output that is like those of a macro site.

Such units are for densification purposes where it fills in the gaps between existing minimal to no coverage areas without substantial costs associated with deploying a new macro site.

RW7ppFF.jpg

OrprcK6.jpg

1JJ3scB.jpg

0VeMvv2.jpg

Photo Credits: /u/smacksa from /r/tmobile

• Like 14

Nokia Networks

Flexi Zone Micro High Power 2x20W BTS

This equipment is what is known as a "mini macro" for it has the footprint of a low powered small cell unit but the power output that is like those of a macro site.

Such units are for densification purposes where it fills in the gaps between existing minimal to no coverage areas without substantial costs associated with deploying a new macro site.

Photo Credits: /u/smacksa from /r/tmobile

Deployed nationwide soon™?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Exciting to see! 

Is this an omnidirectional one sector site, or does the 2x20 watt imply it's a two sector design? 

The design doesn't look bad. I can see it fitting on many pre-existing wooden power/telephone polls.

Pretty sweet stuff. When can we get fill in here in West Michigan. Honestly, where I can get good sprint B41 x2 it's 100 plus mpbs download so we just need to fill in the gaps. I ran a speed test the other day against a friend with AT&T and he was embarrassed about how slow their network was when it died with latency test (GRANDVILLE). We seriously smoked them. Anyway, if sprint fills in with small cells, we will rule the market imo.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Will we see more of these vs. the pico cells that were posted in 2015? None of those have shown up in the Philly market, but I am hopeful for the mini macro.

No at&t or vzw small cell developments here either. Only T-mobile due to MetroPCS building out a DAS years ago...

• 3 weeks later...

Exciting to see! 

Is this an omnidirectional one sector site, or does the 2x20 watt imply it's a two sector design? 

The design doesn't look bad. I can see it fitting on many pre-existing wooden power/telephone polls.

That antenna appears omnidirection (maybe pseudo-omni), but a panel antenna could be used instead depending on the coverage target.

2x20 means the radio has two ports capable of 20 W each. Each B41 channel needs to transmit and receive on both ports to create the two parallel paths necessary for MIMO. Typically you deploy one radio per sector. 20 W leaves room for 2 or 3 CA using 10 or 6.667 watts per channel respectively assuming the radio supports more than a 20 MHz bandwidth and the rest of the system supports CA (modem and controller).  I would have to image Sprint required at least 2 CA support.

For reference the macro site B41 radios are 8x20 watts. They have eight ports to allow beam forming. Also 8 ports allows 8 branch receive diversity which improves the UL performance. UL is typically what limits a cell's size. This is especially important in TDD because you are not receiving all of the time (sometimes you are transmitting) so the average received power is lower than FDD for a given frequency. FDD typically uses 4 branch receive diversity for B25 (B26 uses 2 branch) so there is a 3 dB (twice as much) boost to the UL link budget using 8 branch Rx vs. 4 branch. You still have higher propagation losses at 2500 MHz versus 1900 MHz, but you make 3 dB of that back by using twice an many ports to receive the signal.

These mini-macros only have 2 ports (8 cut in half twice) so right there you have a 6 dB reduction in the link budget vs. a macro site 2.5 GHZ TDD.

The existing ALU (Nokia) B25 small cells (MCO) use a 2x1W transmitter configuration. You can use technologies like enhanced  inter-cell interference coordination (eICIC) to extend the footprint of the small cell, but the MCO is still limited, and you only have 5 MHz FDD on an MCO. These 2x20W B41 mini-macros should be better in almost every way.

If using B41 for BH you would need to use resources of a nearby macro. However, in many cases B41 macros might not be highly loaded because of limitations of the 2.5 GHz frequency so these mini-macors can be use the extend the range. Tim has an excellent article on this. The best BH is fiber, but microwave can be cheaper, and UE relay is cheap and fast to deploy. You could come back and add fiber BH later as capacity needs grow.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-404-sprint-enters-the-relay-race/

I've heard rumors of Nokia having these, nice to see one deployed.

• Like 3

That antenna appears omnidirection (maybe pseudo-omni), but a panel antenna could be used instead depending on the coverage target.

2x20 means the radio has two ports capable of 20 W each. Each B41 channel needs to transmit and receive on both ports to create the two parallel paths necessary for MIMO. Typically you deploy one radio per sector. 20 W leaves room for 2 or 3 CA using 10 or 6.667 watts per channel respectively assuming the radio supports more than a 20 MHz bandwidth and the rest of the system supports CA (modem and controller). I would have to image Sprint required at least 2 CA support.

For reference the macro site B41 radios are 8x20 watts. They have eight ports to allow beam forming. Also 8 ports allows 8 branch receive diversity which improves the UL performance. UL is typically what limits a cell's size. This is especially important in TDD because you are not receiving all of the time (sometimes you are transmitting) so the average received power is lower than FDD for a given frequency. FDD typically uses 4 branch receive diversity for B25 (B26 uses 2 branch) so there is a 3 dB (twice as much) boost to the UL link budget using 8 branch Rx vs. 4 branch. You still have higher propagation losses at 2500 MHz versus 1900 MHz, but you make 3 dB of that back by using twice an many ports to receive the signal.

These mini-macros only have 2 ports (8 cut in half twice) so right there you have a 6 dB reduction in the link budget vs. a macro site 2.5 GHZ TDD.

The existing ALU (Nokia) B25 small cells (MCO) use a 2x1W transmitter configuration. You can use technologies like enhanced inter-cell interference coordination (eICIC) to extend the footprint of the small cell, but the MCO is still limited, and you only have 5 MHz FDD on an MCO. These 2x20W B41 mini-macros should be better in almost every way.

If using B41 for BH you would need to use resources of a nearby macro. However, in many cases B41 macros might not be highly loaded because of limitations of the 2.5 GHz frequency so these mini-macors can be use the extend the range. Tim has an excellent article on this. The best BH is fiber, but microwave can be cheaper, and UE relay is cheap and fast to deploy. You could come back and add fiber BH later as capacity needs grow.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-404-sprint-enters-the-relay-race/

I've heard rumors of Nokia having these, nice to see one deployed.

With the complete acquisition of Alcatel-Lucent by Nokia Networks, the superior Nokia networks equipment will be quite the sight to behold.

Especially in the future when they integrate the Alcatel-Lucent cdma portfolio into their own flexi 10 system so that they can deploy their very well regarded macro micro flexi hot zones.

Also vast majority of small cells are limited to 2x2 due to size limitation and 2 carrier aggregation.

Nokia does have a 4x4 flexi zone 2 pico unit but only for 3.5 GHz at this moment.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

With the complete acquisition of Alcatel-Lucent by Nokia Networks, the superior Nokia networks equipment will be quite the sight to behold.

Especially in the future when they integrate the Alcatel-Lucent cdma portfolio into their own flexi 10 system so that they can deploy their very well regarded macro micro flexi hot zones.

Also vast majority of small cells are limited to 2x2 due to size limitation and 2 carrier aggregation.

Nokia does have a 4x4 flexi zone 2 pico unit but only for 3.5 GHz at this moment.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Yes, I am looking forward to seeing the Nokia equipment. ALU always seemed a little behind.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Tracking these is going to be a nightmare. Is there really no way they can share an eNodeB ID on a macro site?

Brand new GCI/PCI and EARFCN at least for B41 small cells. Haven't encountered a B26 one yet.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Brand new GCI/PCI and EARFCN at least for B41 small cells. Haven't encountered a B26 one yet.

I expected a new GCI. I didn't expect a new GCI per sector (although it does make sense given the name mini macro).

zwKS32B.png

EDIT: These are using the same EARFCNs as the first 2 carriers on the 8T8R sites.

I expected a new GCI. I didn't expect a new GCI per sector (although it does make sense given the name mini macro).

zwKS32B.png

EDIT: These are using the same EARFCNs as the first 2 carriers on the 8T8R sites.

Oh. If it's a regular site colocation with macro site then yeah it'll have different GCI but same EARFCN as the macro network.. Each mini macro is considered its own eNB and as such must each by identified individually.

• 2 years later...
On 2/17/2017 at 11:59 AM, lilotimz said:

Oh. If it's a regular site colocation with macro site then yeah it'll have different GCI but same EARFCN as the macro network.. Each mini macro is considered its own eNB and as such must each by identified individually.

This might explain something that I have been seeing. Apologies that the images are from Google Maps but the poles are right in front of an Elementary School which is across the street from a Middle School. As a dude, definitely not stopping the car to take my own pictures in this case. Here is the base of the pole I believe to be a sprint pole:
7rGnCXT.png%C2%A0

Anyways, there are what appears to be two or three of these Nokia Mini Macro's.

rZdM6h2.png

There are three antenna on top of the pole and there are three eNB that I have been seeing in this area. 
33pHdfy.png
There is also this tiny equipment cabinet next to the pole. 

jQa7i3w.png

There is a second tower (shown above) about 100 ft away, but if the original tower is responsible for all of the eNB that I have seen, then this second tower must not be a Sprint tower. Am I correct in presuming that the third eNB is likely from the same pole and not this second pole?

Edited by PedroDaGr8

19 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

This might explain something that I have been seeing. Apologies that the images are from Google Maps but the poles are right in front of an Elementary School which is across the street from a Middle School. As a dude, definitely not stopping the car to take my own pictures in this case. Here is the base of the pole I believe to be a sprint pole:

Anyways, there are what appears to be two or three of these Nokia Mini Macro's.

There are three antenna on top of the pole and there are three eNB that I have been seeing in this area. 

There is also this tiny equipment cabinet next to the pole. 

There is a second tower (shown above) about 100 ft away, but if the original tower is responsible for all of the eNB that I have seen, then this second tower must not be a Sprint tower. Am I correct in presuming that the third eNB is likely from the same pole and not this second pole?

That is correct. Those are 3 mini macros feeding old clearwire sector antennas with the old Clearwire cabinet. 

Inside the clear cabinet it's pretty much just power and a cisco router / switch. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

That is correct. Those are 3 mini macros feeding old clearwire sector antennas with the old Clearwire cabinet. 

Inside the clear cabinet it's pretty much just power and a cisco router / switch. 

Thanks, that cleared up a lot of confusion for me. This location is in a geographic shadow with respect to a major site, so it makes sense that they would use a small setup like this here.

Thanks, that cleared up a lot of confusion for me. This location is in a geographic shadow with respect to a major site, so it makes sense that they would use a small setup like this here.
It's considered a macro site FWIW. Looks like heavy site design restrictions for that area!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

On 6/11/2019 at 11:38 AM, lilotimz said:

It's considered a macro site FWIW. Looks like heavy site design restrictions for that area! 

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it is between two schools and adjacent to a winery district, I think that explains any restrictions. That being said, there are several B25/B26/B41 towers nearby, this tower just falls in a shadow area for these deployments.

That being said, armed with this knowledge I found out a second set of Nokia Mini-Macros at a nearby hospital (eNBs B6BD7, B6BD9, and B6BDB). Oddly enough, these were in an area I thought was covered by another local site but that site didn't have B41. Additionally, they are building a massive shopping complex right by the hospital so these should cover that area pretty well. 

Does any other provider use these Nokia Mini-Macros?

Yeah, it is between two schools and adjacent to a winery district, I think that explains any restrictions. That being said, there are several B25/B26/B41 towers nearby, this tower just falls in a shadow area for these deployments.

That being said, armed with this knowledge I found out a second set of Nokia Mini-Macros at a nearby hospital (eNBs B6BD7, B6BD9, and B6BDB). Oddly enough, these were in an area I thought was covered by another local site but that site didn't have B41. Additionally, they are building a massive shopping complex right by the hospital so these should cover that area pretty well. 

Does any other provider use these Nokia Mini-Macros?

Only Sprint uses these type of All in one mini macros.

You'll predominately find standalone mini macro on macro setups as part of Clearwire site replacements since it's a cheap drop in replacement.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm seeing a lot of new small cells in my area using these Nokia Mini Macro radios. Both Sprint only sites and Crown Castle small cells shared with Verizon. They are removing a bunch on these radios from macro sites with the M-MIMO installs, looks like they are putting them back to good use. I've been very impressed with the range on these, most of them are usable at least a mile from the site. The screenshots are from a different small cell location, the first one I found in Louisville this morning wasn't in a good location for taking pictures, there was a tree between it and the parking lot next to it. I found the one pictured below on my way home from that one.

Another note, at least around here all of the small cells are using a different EARFCN than the macro sites, making it easier to locate by SCP logs and looking at your neighbor cell list. Here they are all using 40072/40270. Macros are using 41094/41292/41490.

Shared site, on this particular small cell the bottom two radios are Verizon B13 & B4. Looks like a JMA antenna. I'm assuming these are tapping into the existing fiber at the base for backhaul, I didn't see the wireless backhaul receiver on the pole.

CPOBIhAl.jpg

zrLHSvF.jpg

cIRPYZNl.jpg

pUD4Ye3.png

Sprint only site:

1wfYzVXl.jpg

• Like 2