LG G5 User Thread (LG-LS992)

lilotimz

• 1 month later...

Anyone else care to share how the signal strength is in low signal areas compared to their other devices? Compared instore with my moto x pure and its only a few dbms weaker then my moto in good signal.

So far my G5 seems comparable with, maybe even a little better, than the Nexus 5X in the same areas, but I've only tested it in a few places so far. It definitely seems to hold onto LTE a bit better in marginal areas.

I will so far the LG G5 has the same signal strength as the S7. One thing I also noticed is that it doesn't camp out on B26 as the S7 does when I first turn it on (which honestly I'm OK with that since we now have 10Mhz of B25). Now speed test are strange I've noticed that I usually get faster speeds on the devices I put on my main line versus the ones on my other two lines, I've noticed this every single time. Could be coincidental of course. Still test driving it for another few days. If y'all have any questions let me know.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

400332f997caddc6347dad3c1e370a62.jpg

Good Speeds on the G5, when it comes to download. But upload is quite bad, on every single speedtest I've done. And WiFi is quite pitiful. Somewhat dissapointing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Really? I have seen better upload speeds on my G5 than my iphone 6s.

Yeah I'm quite taken back. Upload on the s7 is a good 3mbs faster than the G5. But download speeds are far better on the G5.

And WiFi is quite pitiful. Somewhat dissapointing.

Can you elaborate in detailed specifics on what exactly you're meaning here?  Are you talking in terms of just speed testing, or actual ability to connect (and stay connected) consistently, or what?

Just picked up a G5 today. Very impressed, so far. Early yet, but I can already say the UX is one of the best I've seen and this could easily become my favorite device. Pictures, reviews, and ads are not doing this one any justice. It mops the floor with the S7 edge.

You guys still enjoying your G5s?

The only minor complaint I might have thus far (and I read/knew about this going in beforehand from a review or three) is that you can't seem to adjust the brightness of the 'always on' screen.  I know it *can* be brighter than default because every once in awhile I see it initiate at full brightness, but it always ends up dimmer than I might like.

Can't say anything much about the LG UI because Nova Launcher went into play almost immediately after the very initial setup stages.  Overall RF performance seems to be a fair bit better than the GS4T I came from, for me thus far.

The only minor complaint I might have thus far (and I read/knew about this going in beforehand from a review or three) is that you can't seem to adjust the brightness of the 'always on' screen.  I know it *can* be brighter than default because every once in awhile I see it initiate at full brightness, but it always ends up dimmer than I might like.

Can't say anything much about the LG UI because Nova Launcher went into play almost immediately after the very initial setup stages.  Overall RF performance seems to be a fair bit better than the GS4T I came from, for me thus far.

I agree with the auto brightness setting; particularly when I have sunglasses on outdoors the default tends not to be bright enough.

LG apparently is pushing the "App Drawer" enabled version of their home screen to phones; I guess they finally got tired of Every Single Reviewer complaining about it.

(Too late for me... I went to Google Now and ain't going back!)

Now that the Gmail app supports Exchange on all phones, I'll probably also ditch using the LG Email application and go with semi-stock there.

Now that the Gmail app supports Exchange on all phones, I'll probably also ditch using the LG Email application and go with semi-stock there.

I'd have to have a separate app just for Exchange email with my current job regardless since I now work for a DoD related contractor.  But I almost never use the default mail app on phones anyway - I use the last working copy of the original Outlook.com app for my Hotmail account (not to be confused with the new Outlook app which, last time I tried testing it still was abysmal by comparison), and Gmail for my Google account.  

I've had the Hotmail account for probably close to 20 years now so even though I eventually got a Gmail account, I have way too much history/investment in the former to have tried to fully migrate over to the latter.

Following up on my original post now that I've had a few full days with this phone. There's really nothing to hate. It's not obviously spectacular, but I think that's what I like. It's not as jumpy and glitchy as the S7 edge and the LG UX isn't half bad - it's really quite intuitive, and I'm finding I prefer to have no app drawer on Android anyway. From an ergonomics standpoint, the phone is easy to hold and use for long periods of time. Honestly, no complaints. I really may actually hang on to this one for some time.

TL;DR: The G5 simply gets out of your way and just works on an Apple-like level, something I can't say for the S7e or any other Android phone.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So you like the phone yes? You talking like you're going to keep it right?

Absolutely! At least until I am ready to try another platform again. But cannot foresee myself replacing this with another Android phone. And I've already tried the S7e.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely! At least until I am ready to try another platform again. But cannot foresee myself replacing this with another Android phone. And I've already tried the S7e.

So I lied. The G5 is fantastic. The HTC 10 is even better. 

Because of how difficult I'm finding it to get my hands on an HTC 10 to look at, I'm leaning back toward the LG G5.  The question I have is, I'm very used to using my S5 with it lying on my desk at work.  If the screen is off, I can just press the power button (on the side) and wake it up.  However, the G5 has the power button on the back.

Given the always-on screen, can it be woken up from the screen without the rear button?  Or is there some alternate way of waking it up that does not require me to pick up the phone first?

- Trip