Verizon EVDO roaming now?

So I was in Murphy, NC area. Got a little LTE and 3G mapped in that area, not much though. It is all roaming. USCC and VZW.

VZW roaming is weird. I didn't hit a lot of VZW towers across three counties, but some would be 1x talk/text only, some would connect to EVDO and have no data connection. Then some towers would give me 1Mbps on EVDO.

USCC roaming was great. EVDO was 2Mbps and LTE was 5MHz on 700 and would pull 10~20Mbps.

Verizon has numerous LTE only cell sites and have thinned out their CDMA services to bare minimum.

My experience with Verizon roaming has been pretty weird. I cannot seem to pass data over EVDO although my phone picks it up. Verizon 1x loads things but my phone pretty much always picks up EVDO over 1x. Tried a PRL update with no luck. Anyone else seeing this?

Verizon has numerous LTE only cell sites and have thinned out their CDMA services to bare minimum.

Doesn't explain why some towers on EVDO I get data, some I dont.  Then if a tower has 1x, I imagine it'll have EVDO still which I lack to connect too.  All within just three counties, forty miles in a very remote area. 

Doesn't explain why some towers on EVDO I get data, some I dont. Then if a tower has 1x, I imagine it'll have EVDO still which I lack to connect too. All within just three counties, forty miles in a very remote area.

As I said they thinned out cdma. Evdo is first to go to be used for lte service. 1x can stay.

As I said they thinned out cdma. Evdo is first to go to be used for lte service. 1x can stay.

So you know for a fact that they shut down a couple towers 3G there, but then left others where I traveled? To me sound like your just starting a broad fact that won't apply everywhere. The biggest town I past population is 1,500 people. The second biggest is just 500. I don't see why they'd have LTE on anything but 700 still, and shut down EvDo.

And it still doesn't explain why one towers EvDo gives me data, but the next towers EvDo gives me an exclamation.

So I was in Murphy, NC area.  Got a little LTE and 3G mapped in that area, not much though.  It is all roaming.  USCC and VZW. 

VZW roaming is weird.  I didn't hit a lot of VZW towers across three counties, but some would be 1x talk/text only, some would connect to EVDO and have no data connection.  Then some towers would give me 1Mbps on EVDO.

USCC roaming was great.  EVDO was 2Mbps and LTE was 5MHz on 700 and would pull 10~20Mbps.

On a Nexus 5!? You got USCC LTE on a Nexus device!?

For whatever reason, my phone roaming will have spotty 3G and bumping to 1X with no usable Verizon EVDO. However in all those same areas, I can force my Verizon Blackberry Classic down to only 1XEV and attain a stable connection and 1-2Mbit/s easily.

Could it be how they interact when roaming, like is it scanning too much for the tiniest bit of Sprint (would make sense).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. And all the VZW sites added in my area since 2012 have been LTE only.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

So you know for a fact that they shut down a couple towers 3G there, but then left others where I traveled? To me sound like your just starting a broad fact that won't apply everywhere. The biggest town I past population is 1,500 people. The second biggest is just 500. I don't see why they'd have LTE on anything but 700 still, and shut down EvDo.

And it still doesn't explain why one towers EvDo gives me data, but the next towers EvDo gives me an exclamation.

It is true in my area. They have shut down EVDO on some towers to make room for B2 LTE, when needed. Then use CLR as 1x only for backup phone call capacity for non-VoLTE and M2M devices.

The exclamation point means VZW will not let you authenticate. VZW may not let you on for many reasons, from the site being too busy to just software issues preventing confirmation of your account.

• 2 weeks later...

I had EVDO roaming last night in San Jose on my old HTC EVO 4G in a parking garage. Although Wimax still runs stong in the area, Sprint's 3G signal was not available. On my iPhone 6s, LTE was stong on B26.

It is true in my area. They have shut down EVDO on some towers to make room for B2 LTE, when needed. Then use CLR as 1x only for backup phone call capacity for non-VoLTE and M2M devices.

The exclamation point means VZW will not let you authenticate. VZW may not let you on for many reasons, from the site being too busy to just software issues preventing confirmation of your account.

No doubt VZW might be shutting down some 3G, but if EVDO was shut down I wouldn't even connect to EVDO.  Just some of the towers would not authenticate, but some would. I connected to EVDO on all the towers, just some would no authenticate. 

Side question, does VZW 1x on CLR show up as 1xRTT or will it show up as 1x800/1x850?

Quick question so I'm going to Marquette MI to see my lady next month but it's outside Sprint coverage area, voice coverage it says roaming plus and data it says off network. So if I use data and my phone says extended 3G(iPhone 6S plus) will it count against my data plan ? I have unlimited data ? Also I want to add her to my account but her school is there, if she's roaming all the time will they automatically cancel that line ?

Quick question so I'm going to Marquette MI to see my lady next month but it's outside Sprint coverage area, voice coverage it says roaming plus and data it says off network. So if I use data and my phone says extended 3G(iPhone 6S plus) will it count against my data plan ? I have unlimited data ? Also I want to add her to my account but her school is there, if she's roaming all the time will they automatically cancel that line ?

Try setting the data map to "3G & more" and look again.

No doubt VZW might be shutting down some 3G, but if EVDO was shut down I wouldn't even connect to EVDO.  Just some of the towers would not authenticate, but some would. I connected to EVDO on all the towers, just some would no authenticate. 

Side question, does VZW 1x on CLR show up as 1xRTT or will it show up as 1x800/1x850?

1xRTT in SignalCheck, as far as I know.

- Trip

• 2 months later...

How much data were you guys able to use on verizon or other networks while roaming? Last sep I roamed while going from oregon to cali, then cross country to DC on amtrak. Lots of roaming on the train and it shut off within a day claiming I had used too much roaming but honestly I hadnt hardly used it at all. Less than a few website visits and background apps. Then data shut off and I only had voice unless I went back on native sprint coverage. I saw verizon 1x and EVDO by a couple other companiea along the way.. I would guess that I only actually got to use 100MB roaming data. It was pathetic.

I switxhed to tmobile since but thought about going back to sprint assuming roaming has been improved as sprint does have significantly more coverage with roaming while traveling (on amtrak tmobile users phones tend to work less at least last year).

Edited by wise

How much data were you guys able to use on verizon or other networks while roaming? Last sep I roamed while going from oregon to cali, then cross country to DC on amtrak. Lots of roaming on the train and it shut off within a day claiming I had used too much roaming but honestly I hadnt hardly used it at all. Less than a few website visits and background apps. Then data shut off and I only had voice unless I went back on native sprint coverage. I saw verizon 1x and EVDO by a couple other companiea along the way.. I would guess that I only actually got to use 100MB roaming data. It was pathetic.

I switxhed to tmobile since but thought about going back to sprint assuming roaming has been improved as sprint does have significantly more coverage with roaming while traveling (on amtrak tmobile users phones tend to work less at least last year).

All new Sprint plans come with 100 MB of roaming, while some older plans include 300 MB. Sprint has added a few roaming partners in which data is treated as regular usage, but still displayed as roaming on maps and on your phone. Unfortunately, these roaming areas are mostly in western Kansas and a few other rural areas. If your concern is roaming limitations, you're better off going to At&t, Verizon, or an MVNO that uses those networks. If you travel a lot West of the plains, Sprint and T-Mobile aren't for you.

I completely understand your dilemma though. I've been thinking of dumping Sprint and going with Verizon or At&t. The roaming speeds/limits do get annoying after a while and as soon as I leave most interstates, it's Verizon 1x for me. Even T-Mobile has better coverage in the areas I frequent in East-Central Texas, unfortunately they aren't reliable. The only thing keeping me on Sprint is the fact that I still have 2 year contracts and phone subsidies with them.

All new Sprint plans come with 100 MB of roaming, while some older plans include 300 MB. Sprint has added a few roaming partners in which data is treated as regular usage, but still displayed as roaming on maps and on your phone. Unfortunately, these roaming areas are mostly in western Kansas and a few other rural areas. If your concern is roaming limitations, you're better off going to At&t, Verizon, or an MVNO that uses those networks. If you travel a lot West of the plains, Sprint and T-Mobile aren't for you.

I completely understand your dilemma though. I've been thinking of dumping Sprint and going with Verizon or At&t. The roaming speeds/limits do get annoying after a while and as soon as I leave most interstates, it's Verizon 1x for me. Even T-Mobile has better coverage in the areas I frequent in East-Central Texas, unfortunately they aren't reliable. The only thing keeping me on Sprint is the fact that I still have 2 year contracts and phone subsidies with them.

AFAIK the 100MB amount is a soft cap and at 300MB it's a hard cap on the newer plans. Additionally, my phone doesn't show roaming in those areas where roaming is treated like home usage.

• 9 months later...

Anyone else having issues accessing data when roaming on Verizon?? I get absolutely nothing on evdo or 1x.

Sometimes. Most the time it works. It is just spotty. It will error out a lot but if you keep refreshing it will generally work. At least, That has been my experience.

Anyone else having issues accessing data when roaming on Verizon?? I get absolutely nothing on evdo or 1x.

I think Verizon has very few resources left for CDMA. Chances are the carriers they have running are just over capacity. "Normal" users never use CDMA anymore, so it's been left to rot. Wouldn't be surprised if there was just a single 1x and a single EVDO carrier.

Sent from my Pixel XL

It has always seemed to be on a site by site basis. In its most limited that I have seen, calls, texts, and google navigation would go through, but nothing else. The same limitation some times apply to Sprint 1x800 sites.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I'm not talking about slow data speeds, but no data at all. A connection fails to authenticate through both Verizon EVDO or 1x and I'm usually staring at an x on the signal bar. Verizon is likely not running low on capacity as they have dedicated their entire cellular spectrum to CDMA and EVDO.

fC0mFOq.png