Verizon EVDO roaming now?

There is no information on the screenshot to say it is on Verizon.

They are the only other CDMA/EVDO carrier here. It doesn't give any information about who I am roaming on unless I dial an invalid number which plays the "welcome to Verizon Wireless" message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting development if true.  i dont have an easy way to test since USCC is so big up here i dont know how to force verizon.  Didnt Claure say he wanted to stop paying verizon so much each month?  This would be quite an about face to happen.  Possibly Verizon just wanted to monetize their EVDO network more now that so many users have been moved over to LTE for them.

• Like 1

Something's fishy. Either this is a mistake of sorts (which I am very doubtful of), Verizon lowered the price of roaming for Sprint, or Sprint customers just haven't been roaming as much as they used to so Sprint feels more comfortable opening up Verizon EVDO roaming for their customers because it won't cost them as much.

Sprint had Verizon EVDO roaming on individual accounts in southern Ohio when I was there just last year. Not surprised that they opened in up nationwide. Verizon probably didn't charge any more for roaming EVDO since the data allotment didn't change.

Sprint had Verizon EVDO roaming on individual accounts in southern Ohio when I was there just last year. Not surprised that they opened in up nationwide. Verizon probably didn't charge any more for roaming EVDO since the data allotment didn't change.

I don't think Verizon every charged more for EVDO, Sprint just preferred everyone on 1X so they wouldn't use as much data.

VZW EV-DO roaming is not nationwide.  Rather, Sprint opened up more VZW EV-DO roaming markets in the PRL.  They do not cover the entire VZW footprint, however.

AJ

As another data point...I updated my PRL yesterday morning.  I then dropped off my daughter's school bag at our local school in central NJ.  Normally, the school is a dead zone for both Sprint and T-Mo (I have Project Fi).  In the school office, I looked down and realized I was on 3G...a quick check of SCP revealed I was on Verizon.  By the time I got back to my car outside, I was back on native Sprint coverage.

• Like 2

As another data point...I updated my PRL yesterday morning.  I then dropped off my daughter's school bag at our local school in central NJ.  Normally, the school is a dead zone for both Sprint and T-Mo (I have Project Fi).  In the school office, I looked down and realized I was on 3G...a quick check of SCP revealed I was on Verizon.  By the time I got back to my car outside, I was back on native Sprint coverage.

Keep in mind that "3G" can be either CDMA1X or EV-DO.  Did SignalCheck Pro show both CDMA1X and EV-DO connections on VZW?

AJ

Keep in mind that "3G" can be either CDMA1X or EV-DO. Did SignalCheck Pro show both CDMA1X and EV-DO connections on VZW?

AJ

Urgh. Not sure. I will have to repeat the experiment.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'Ve found that my devices have connected to Verizon 1x and Sprint EVDO since they're 2 different signals. To test this, I had to stream some audio to keep it roaming and I did a drive by of two sites locally where I knew Sprint and Verizon were on separate towers about a 1/2 mile apart . I found that I got -50s RSSI signals on both going by the respective towers. Also, I never changed 1x sectors when going by the site with the stronger EVDO signal which told me that Verizon was elsewhere.

As another data point...I updated my PRL yesterday morning. I then dropped off my daughter's school bag at our local school in central NJ. Normally, the school is a dead zone for both Sprint and T-Mo (I have Project Fi). In the school office, I looked down and realized I was on 3G...a quick check of SCP revealed I was on Verizon. By the time I got back to my car outside, I was back on native Sprint coverage.

When I'm on Verizon 1x on Project Fi, it says 3G next to the signal strength indicator. The only way to know if you're on EVDO is Engineering Screens or SignalCheck.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I'Ve found that my devices have connected to Verizon 1x and Sprint EVDO since they're 2 different signals. To test this, I had to stream some audio to keep it roaming and I did a drive by of two sites locally where I knew Sprint and Verizon were on separate towers about a 1/2 mile apart . I found that I got -50s RSSI signals on both going by the respective towers. Also, I never changed 1x sectors when going by the site with the stronger EVDO signal which told me that Verizon was elsewhere.

That is correct.  The PRL supports this behavior.

- Trip

The iPhone distinguishes between 1x and 3G still. But really the only way you know who you are connected to is by the field test mode. Sprint doesn't have any Cellular EVDO, and I was about 50 miles away from the nearest Sprint site so I kinda figured it was Verizon [emoji23]

I forced a PRL update on my Google Fi Nexus 6. Updated to 55051. Now Verizon 3G EVDO works. Nice for backup outside Tmo/Sprint LTE coverage. Makes Google Fi even more valuable now. And it says it's not even roaming. Should be billed exactly the same as all data. Nice.

af0733c7ca9bf8f24b638bb2efdce1d0.jpg

9f2a2eeec6238ff65bf237c1e156296a.jpg

c44ba2234693a2dedc90be74c50b687a.jpg

22e46e59cc3c9b93aee68e7d483e4dbe.jpg

• Like 8

Well, $20+$10/gig is pretty expensive. And Google has money. So, they'll give you full access.

It's a good value for people who don't use a lot of data.

It's a good value for people who don't use a lot of data.

I have the $100 Family Data Unlimited, so works out to about $50 per line + $19 x2 for iPhone 6S 64GB on the iPhone forever lease.

Much cheaper than what I am still paying Verizon and soon to be $20 more when Verizon has their way with me.

And it's funny because on my plan and my sisters $70 unlimited plan, we are able to stream videos at HD, never have we had our videos limited to 1.5Mbit/s [emoji23][emoji23]

• 3 weeks later...

So I was in Murphy, NC area.  Got a little LTE and 3G mapped in that area, not much though.  It is all roaming.  USCC and VZW. 

VZW roaming is weird.  I didn't hit a lot of VZW towers across three counties, but some would be 1x talk/text only, some would connect to EVDO and have no data connection.  Then some towers would give me 1Mbps on EVDO.

USCC roaming was great.  EVDO was 2Mbps and LTE was 5MHz on 700 and would pull 10~20Mbps.