maximum speeds attainable?

Folks - precursory note:  No need to run out and do speed tests.

I have always in the back of my head, from somewhere, thought the maximum speed that Sprint will achieve on uploads was 14.7ish mb.

Is this still the case?  Was it ever the case? 

I went through all of my speed tests that I have done over the past year or so (approximately 25) and none were over 14.72mb (on any band)... until today.  I was inside of the local grocery store waiting on some doughnuts and decided to speed test.  27.10mb download with 22.55mb UPLOAD.  This was on a B25 10x10 carrier.  

Is that unexpected?  It was to me!

27.10mb download with 22.55mb UPLOAD.  This was on a B25 10x10 carrier.  

Is that unexpected?  It was to me!

Did you not answer your own question?  It was a 10 MHz FDD carrier -- double the RF bandwidth of a 5 MHz FDD carrier.

AJ

Did you not answer your own question?  It was a 10 MHz FDD carrier -- double the RF bandwidth of a 5 MHz FDD carrier.

AJ

Had I known that, I would not have posted the question to begin with.  Thanks for the info.  My surprise was that this was the first time I've seen uploads peak over the 14.7mb that I thought previously attainable.

I believe the top Speed for band 41 on upload is 17. Anything higher would require either 10X10 or higher FDD-LTE or 2xca for upload on band 41.

Or Sprint makes the TDD ratio more upload oriented, even though they never will because there is no reason to.

-Anthony

The fastest on Sprint I've experienced has been I believe 87mbps down, 12mbps up.  That's on an LTE Plus site.  Upload is always poor on Sprint devices because the TDD configuration limits the amount of spectrum allocated to upload.  FDD configurations tend to be better on the upload.

Upload is always poor on Sprint devices because the TDD configuration limits the amount of spectrum allocated to upload. 

I don't really agree that Sprint upload is always poor.  4-12Mbps (with a good signal) on TDD is not low upload speeds.  That range meets the needs of 99.9% of upload uses.  My AT&T FDD upload speeds typically are 2-5Mbps.  Even on a 10x10 FDD carrier.  And that always meets my needs.

• Like 2

I don't really agree that Sprint upload is always poor.  4-12Mbps (with a good signal) on TDD is not low upload speeds.  That range meets the needs of 99.9% of upload uses.  My AT&T FDD upload speeds typically are 2-5Mbps.  Even on a 10x10 FDD carrier.  And that always meets my needs.

Poor choice of words, I agree.  I meant to say it's not quite as fast as the competition because they don't allocate a dedicated up to 20Mhz bandwidth on the uplink. 

• Like 1

Poor choice of words, I agree.  I meant to say it's not quite as fast as the competition because they don't allocate a dedicated up to 20Mhz bandwidth on the uplink. 

Band 41 does allocate a dedicated 20 MHz bandwidth on the uplink.  But it is 20 MHz TDD, not 20 MHz FDD.

AJ

• Like 3

Band 41 does allocate a dedicated 20 MHz bandwidth on the uplink.  But it is 20 MHz TDD, not 20 MHz FDD.

AJ

What I mean is that for TDD configuration, they take a certain portion of their 20Mhz to uplink, I think it is a 3/2 configuration?  So roughly 12Mhz on the download and 8Mhz on the upload?  Which means in 20+20 CA, it'd be 24Mhz on the download, and 16 Mhz on the upload, whereas B4 is often 20x20, where 20 is dedicated to the downlink and 20 is dedicated to the uplink. 

EDIT: Since they are prioritizing downlink (which is more important, anyways.) they technically have more bandwidth available for users due to the TDD configuration so they can actually boast about having the fastest network, given the technologies for both carriers are the same. (ie: 4x2MIMO, etc.)

What I mean is that for TDD configuration, they take a certain portion of their 20Mhz to uplink, I think it is a 3/2 configuration?  So roughly 12Mhz on the download and 8Mhz on the upload?  Which means in 20+20 CA, it'd be 24Mhz on the download, and 16 Mhz on the upload, whereas B4 is often 20x20, where 20 is dedicated to the downlink and 20 is dedicated to the uplink.

And I think for now, they are not doing CA on the uplink (yet).

• Like 1

EDIT: Since they are prioritizing downlink (which is more important, anyways.) they technically have more bandwidth available for users due to the TDD configuration so they can actually boast about having the fastest network, given the technologies for both carriers are the same. (ie: 4x2MIMO, etc.)

TDD is time based, not frequency based. In your example of a 3/2 configuration, in a 5 second time window, for a total of 3 seconds, the full 20mhz will be dedicated to download, and for a total of 2 seconds the full 20mhz will be dedicated to upload. For 20+20 CA a full 40mhz would be dedicated to upload and download respectively during their respective time slots.

• Like 3

TDD is time based, not frequency based. In your example of a 3/2 configuration, in a 5 second time window, for a total of 3 seconds, the full 20mhz will be dedicated to download, and for a total of 2 seconds the full 20mhz will be dedicated to upload. For 20+20 CA a full 40mhz would be dedicated to upload and download respectively during their respective time slots.

Well then, TIL.  Does that mean there isn't a simultaneous connection on both the downlink/uplink since it's time based?

Well then, TIL.  Does that mean there isn't a simultaneous connection on both the downlink/uplink since it's time based?

No simultaneous downlink/uplink connection.  That is why it is TDD -- Time Division Duplex.  Were you not aware of that?

AJ

• 3 weeks later...

lilotimz, can I asked where you got these orange graphs from, and if there are more of them somewhere? I would like see see the different up and download rates for TDD.

Nokia Networks TDD LTE time frame configurations.

Other configurations can be found by looking through white papers dealing with TDD time frames.

So are those rates assuming 2x2 MIMO, or which Category device? Sprints base stations are 8x8, so what is the max speeds one could get?

There is no 4x4 or 8x8 UE available.

Next step up is 4x4. Right now it's 2x2/4x2.