Sprint wants to save $1B by relocating towers

JeffDTD

attachicon.gifCapture+_2016-01-21-05-11-091.jpg would these speeds be considered enhanced LTE or still 700 mhz10 by 10 for at&t

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

CA for Sure. at&t doesnt have CA in my area. They need it tho Speeds are slow without it.

Jeez. That's a long way from "Network Vision". Ridiculous title.

Also ridiculous claims.

As we were discussing Sprint’s plans with the industry this week, more than one person commented that Sprint’s pole-based network plan would never work in Dallas or Houston.

Most of Southwest Texas is Pole country. Inner Houston is filled with utility poles EVERYWHERE! Heck, some neighborhoods even have major overhead power lines running through the heart of neighborhoods. T-Mobile, at&t, and even Sprint use some of them right next to Downtown Houston and where available. The author may live in suburban Katy or Sugarland since anything inside the city limits of Houston runs above ground. The only concern would be maintenance of such poles since a lot of the poles aren't supported by concrete foundations. The swampy soil causes a lot of the poles to lean in some places and whichever agency is in charge of them will wait until repair is really necessary.
  • Like 1

In some way, I agree. I like information. Lots of it. And all the nerdy details. Don't hold anything back.

But, when you look back at all major upgrades from the other carriers, they don't provide those kinds of details. The best you will get is...'this is what our over inflated coverage map will look like at the end of the year.' I suppose Sprint could do that. But they aren't really planning expansion. This is about densification and in footprint infill. Which really only can be measured by performance after the fact.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The difference is two fold. First, sprint is struggling bad finically, which means the markets need clarification on how they spend there money. Second, sprint is under going its third massive, transformative network mega project in 8 years ( WiMAX, Nv 1.0, NGN). On top of that sprint is attempting a massive cost savings effort. None of the other carriers have attempted something like this and none have sprint's balance sheet. So, sprint shouldn't expect to be treat by analyst and the media the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The difference is two fold. First, sprint is struggling bad finically, which means the markets need clarification on how they spend there money. Second, sprint is under going its third massive, transformative network mega project in 8 years ( WiMAX, Nv 1.0, NGN). On top of that sprint is attempting a massive cost savings effort. None of the other carriers have attempted something like this and none have sprint's balance sheet. So, sprint shouldn't expect to be treat by analyst and the media the same way.

Sprint doesn't need to give away their playbook because they have a lot of debt coming due. They need to give financial clarity on how they will handle it. Which is what they did this morning.

Sprint has just as many mega projects as everyone else in the past 8 years. VZW...LTE > XLTE/VoLTE > B2/Small Cells/Marco Site Expansion. AT&T...FauxG (HSPA+) > LTE > VoLTE/B29+B30. T-Mobile...FauxG (HSPA+) > LTE/VoLTE > B12/Expansion. It's just that these guys all have been under the radar, low key and vague.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

In all honesty this is Sprint's fault. By being mum on it's NGN work plans and failing to increase capital expenditure guidance, sprint force the media and industry analysis to talk to tower companies, vendor partners and others, who probably only have parts of sprint's plans, in order to piece together what is going on. Sprint created the environment for this kind of speculation.

You know something, being mum is the better way to go. Why continuously have to overshare information, just ready and easy pickings for the trolls?

Let's just get it done, and slap the competitors in the face with a 1/2 price deal.

• Like 3

Sprint doesn't need to give away their playbook because they have a lot of debt coming due. They need to give financial clarity on how they will handle it. Which is what they did this morning.

Sprint has just as many mega projects as everyone else in the past 8 years. VZW...LTE > XLTE/VoLTE > B2/Small Cells/Marco Site Expansion. AT&T...FauxG (HSPA+) > LTE > VoLTE/B29+B30. T-Mobile...FauxG (HSPA+) > LTE/VoLTE > B12/Expansion. It's just that these guys all have been under the radar, low key and vague.

I think vzw CTO said it best when he explained the difference between what his company has done (and att) with their network and what Sprint has done. He said that vzw has had a steady progression on technology with each upgrade building on what came before, sprint is a company that has had several pivots, where they have attempted to leap from one point to another. I think he pretty much nailed it. Only sprint has decommission a 3G technology and a 4g technology, only sprint significantly reduced the number of cell sites owned (went from 60 to 40 thousand when they shut off Nextel) and only sprint did a full rip and replace of their network (which is still only largely complete).

What sprint has done is materially different than what other companies have done and to this point hasn't been rewarded. It will be interesting to see if they make the latest pivot work for them.

Look, what adding the detail they did add today do for the tone of the reports and the stock.

• Like 1

Verizon and T are never telling the world what they are doing with their network. I am glad Sprint is taking that approach because the haters in the tech media and trolls will shred their goals to the ground if they disclose what they will do.

I think vzw CTO said it best when he explained the difference between what his company has done (and att) with their network and what Sprint has done. He said that vzw has had a steady progression on technology with each upgrade building on what came before, sprint is a company that has had several pivots, where they have attempted to leap from one point to another. I think he pretty much nailed it. Only sprint has decommission a 3G technology and a 4g technology, only sprint significantly reduced the number of cell sites owned (went from 60 to 40 thousand when they shut off Nextel) and only sprint did a full rip and replace of their network (which is still only largely complete).

What sprint has done is materially different than what other companies have done and to this point hasn't been rewarded. It will be interesting to see if they make the latest pivot work for them.

Look, what adding the detail they did add today do for the tone of the reports and the stock.

Those are just words from an executive. Talking points. I can also say with just words that Sprint has had a steady progression of technology. Steady is a relative term. If this is the crux of your argument, we need to move on to something else to discuss.

I'm bummed that the Cardinals lost so embarrassingly in the NFC Championship. The Cardinals are my NFC team. What do you think of Carolina advancing?

And they did what I expected yesterday. Added a lot of financial clarity and very little network playbook clarity. That's what they needed to do. Even if I would have preferred lots of network info.

• Like 2

I'm bummed that the Cardinals lost so embarrassingly in the NFC Championship. The Cardinals are my NFC team. What do you think of Carolina advancing?

As a cardinals fan, myself. I am disappointed with how things turned out. We dropped the ball (literally) too many times. That one punt where Panthers recovered basically cost us the game. Palmer wasn't on his A-Game, neither was Fitzgerald. Both missed great opportunities.

But, I have no grudge against Carolina. They are good and I can see them winning the Superbowl.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 4

As a cardinals fan, myself. I am disappointed with how things turned out. We dropped the ball (literally) too many times. That one punt where Panthers recovered basically cost us the game. Palmer wasn't on his A-Game, neither was Fitzgerald. Both missed great opportunities.

But, I have no grudge against Carolina. They are good and I can see them winning the Superbowl.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

That about sums it up for me too.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just a question....i don't know if this thread is already up.... but would sprint need a chunk of the 600mhz spectrum or will they be fine without it?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

There's a thread for that...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk