Booster/repeater antenna question for voice and data sprint

Me and my wife have tri band note 5's. I barely get voice signal in the house. I do get band 26 data but the speed is almost unusable. From my upper level east window i get -81 for voice and i pick up band 25 with -102 signal (10 megs up and down). From my west window i grab another tower. I pick up band 41 with -104 sognal (50 meg dl speeds) and voice signal is around -85. These signals i assume could be better from the roof another 10 ft up.

My question is this. I want to boost both voice and data into the house. Band 41 is out of the question i think because they don't have repeaters for the 2.5 ghz range. But i can live with the speeds of the 25 band from the other window. My goal is to use our phones with the hotspot feature around the whole house. is There a setup best suited for this?

The first S4GRU question in this scenario is why can you not use Wi-Fi for data at home?  Then, we can discuss further.

AJ

I guess my answer is that it would seem silly to me to purchase a mobile wifi device with a cap to give me data to our unlimited data phones. I don't even own a computer. I think i used the wrong terminology when i said hotspot. I meant the repeater/ booster and being able to pick up that signal throughout the house.

I guess my answer is that it would seem silly to me to purchase a mobile wifi device with a cap to give me data to our unlimited data phones. I don't even own a computer. I think i used the wrong terminology when i said hotspot. I meant the repeater/ booster and being able to pick up that signal throughout the house.

I just re-read what you wrote and I misunderstood initially. I know of a place where they used a booster to boost signal inside of a government building classroom. An antenna was mounted outside and a wire was run through the roof to the booster on the ceiling of the classroom. It boosted the signal inside by about 20 dbm on B25. I have no idea what it cost, but it sure works.

Sent from my Note 4

I dont have hotspot on our phones. I have a data service on a tablet we bought from sprint that has a 2 gig cap per month. It does have the hotspot on it free. I guess they want you to use up your data on those. I have set that in the window to give our phones data on a few occasions. I used the wrong terminology in my first post about "hotspot" i was referring to the boosted indoor signal from the repeater as "hotspot". I have nothing to hotspot to. All i have is my phones and a tablet. Im just wanting to be able to use them indoors and was looking for advice on what the best equipment would be ie. Yagi, omini, repeater brands and such.

I dont have hotspot on our phones. I have a data service on a tablet we bought from sprint that has a 2 gig cap per month. It does have the hotspot on it free. I guess they want you to use up your data on those. I have set that in the window to give our phones data on a few occasions. I used the wrong terminology in my first post about "hotspot" i was referring to the boosted indoor signal from the repeater as "hotspot". I have nothing to hotspot to. All i have is my phones and a tablet. Im just wanting to be able to use them indoors and was looking for advice on what the best equipment would be ie. Yagi, omini, repeater brands and such.

You do not have home internet of any kind?

No. My only options are satellite or mobile data. But I have no reason for home internet. I dont have computers or anything.

Weboost (formally wilson) has great cell phone repeaters of all size home and business applications.  As long as you can pick up somewhat of a signal then these should work for you.  (Just make sure to aim the outside unit at the tower that gives you the best reception) You can buy these on Amazon.com

Note: If you use antennasearch.com you can locate some Sprint towers in your area.  Also depending on your S4GRU membership you may be able to locate a tower precisely here.

I'm not sure if I can tell you exactly where the towers are in your area due to forum rules but I'd be willing to help if it's acceptable, maybe a forum moderator can chime in about this.

Just don't post specific address information here.  Just a nearby set of cross streets with town name.

When i was talking to someone at the repeaterstore.com they told me that an outdoor lte signal over -100 would not be able to be repeated into the home. I was getting about -104 on band 25 at the upstairs window. Is what he is saying true?

When i was talking to someone at the repeaterstore.com they told me that an outdoor lte signal over -100 would not be able to be repeated into the home. I was getting about -104 on band 25 at the upstairs window. Is what he is saying true?

Not over -100 dBm, under -100 dBm.  Note, we are talking negative numbers.

But that person at repeaterstore.com probably is confusing RSSI and RSRP.  LTE signal strength is measured via RSRP.  Signal generally is viable down to around -120 dBm.

For further reference, read my article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-308-rssi-vs-rsrp-a-brief-lte-signal-strength-primer/

It is the most viewed -- and plagiarized -- article ever at S4GRU.

AJ

• Like 4

Thank you. I just have the free membership. My cross streets are Regal Ridge Dr and Sycamore cir in Kearney MO 64060.

Yeah, you are in a bit of a bind.  In your rural location, you are surrounded by but almost equidistant from four Network Vision upgraded sites in Kearney, Excelsior Springs, Lawson, and Holt Truck Stop.  Your location seemingly is in cell edge coverage from all four sites, thus your signal quality always will be somewhat poor.

AJ

Yeah, you are in a bit of a bind. In your rural location, you are surrounded by but almost equidistant from four Network Vision upgraded sites in Kearney, Excelsior Springs, Lawson, and Holt Truck Stop. Your location seemingly is in cell edge coverage from all four sites, thus your signal quality always will be somewhat poor.

AJ

I have line of site to the one in Lawson which is the one i belive I'm getting the good speeds on b21 and also good voice signal.

Edited by Kearney

Good article. So the signal and speeds I get at the peak of my roof i should be able to get indoors with something like this.https://store.weboost.com/products/connect-4gx

Not even the roof.  Your upstairs signal strengths around -80 dBm for band class 1 CDMA1X (1900 MHz) and -100 dBm for band 25 LTE (1900 MHz) are basically equivalent and quite healthy signal strengths.  Those are usable signal strengths to distribute elsewhere in the house.  Signal quality and network congestion, though, may remain problems.

AJ

Not even the roof. Your upstairs signal strengths around -80 dBm for band class 1 CDMA1X (1900 MHz) and -100 dBm for band 25 LTE (1900 MHz) are basically equivalent and quite healthy signal strengths. Those are usable signal strengths to distribute elsewhere in the house. Signal quality and network congestion, though, may remain problems.

AJ

So would i be better going with an omini antenna on the roof? How does sprint choose lte signals from other towers? Would it kick me off a faster speed b25 from one tower to a slower but better signal from another one?

So would i be better going with an omini antenna on the roof? How does sprint choose lte signals from other towers? Would it kick me off a faster speed b25 from one tower to a slower but better signal from another one?

No, because of your almost equidistant location, you do not want an omnidirectional antenna on the roof.  A directional antenna upstairs and pointed through a window or wall would suffice.

AJ

No, because of your almost equidistant location, you do not want an omnidirectional antenna on the roof. A directional antenna upstairs and pointed through a window or wall would suffice.

AJ

I would also recommend pointing at Lawson with a directional unit. Make sure you play with it for awhile before permanently mounting it cause a few degrees here and there can improve or degrade your signal. Just remember to try all of the towers, just because one is closer doesn't mean it's better.

On antenna search there is a tower approximately 1.4 miles to the southeast at 16423 Endicott Road but when I look at Google maps all I see is a gravel road to a sight that was once there before but was taken down or the satellite picture is old and the tower is newer. By the way it says it's verizon. I'm not trying to take you away from Sprint but if your cell signal can't be fixed you might look at alternative carriers. The sprint tower is 3.7 miles from that intersection.

On antenna search there is a tower approximately 1.4 miles to the southeast at 16423 Endicott Road but when I look at Google maps all I see is a gravel road to a sight that was once there before but was taken down or the satellite picture is old and the tower is newer. By the way it says it's verizon. I'm not trying to take you away from Sprint but if your cell signal can't be fixed you might look at alternative carriers. The sprint tower is 3.7 miles from that intersection.

That tower is not there yet. The people that own the

Property to the west of that site was petitioning the construction of it in her back yard. I don't know if she won or lost but nothing is there

Edited by Kearney

That tower is not there yet. The people that own the

Property to the west of that site was petitioning the construction of it in her back yard. I don't know if she won or lost but nothing is there

More Info I found, click here.  I can't believe they would say it would ruin their view, what view?  It's just farmland.  LOL

More Info I found, click here. I can't believe they would say it would ruin their view, what view? It's just farmland. LOL

Yeah she was weird. She stopped all cars coming and going past her house and practically forced people to sign her stupid petition. I refused to sign it but i was also hoping it was a sprint tower too.

Yeah she was weird. She stopped all cars coming and going past her house and practically forced people to sign her stupid petition. I refused to sign it but i was also hoping it was a sprint tower too.

I guess we all have the right to complain especially if it's your own property but it just seems ridiculous in a rural area.  Looks like it's moving forward though.