Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

The Nexus 5X has started shipping today, Monday 10/19.  So, S4GRU has opened the Nexus 5X user thread in advance of shipments that could arrive as early as tomorrow.  We also have published a second update -- complete with all LTE ERP/EIRP figures -- to the Nexus 5X article on The Wall.

Please see the article for additional specs:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-398-updated-teaser-is-s4gru-5x-certain-that-this-is-the-new-nexus-5x/

A sticking point for many Sprint users who have ordered a Nexus 5X will be the need to acquire a new 4FF nano UICC/SIM card running the CSIM activation program.  That can be a simple process or a difficult one.  We cover some of that discussion in The Wall article.  To help S4GRU readers obtain or purchase the correct Sprint "CSIM 4FF V5," we have posted below the relevant info for both Sprint and Best Buy Mobile.

Sprint (corporate store with repair center or international support online chat):

Part: SIMGLW446C

SKU: CZ2144LWC

UPC: 019962040146

Best Buy Mobile:

Part: SPRINT HTC M9/MOTO X PURE SIM

SKU: SIMLTGSM4FF

UPC: 7000116

34edeg4.jpg

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7063-moto-x-2015-pure-edition-users-thread/?p=444079

AJ

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

For activation of the Nexus 5X on Sprint, if you already have a compatible and activated 4FF nano SIM (such as from the HTC One M9, 2015 Moto X, et al.), you can reuse that CSIM in the Nexus 5X.  However, you first must add the Nexus 5X IMEI/MEID to your account.

The Sprint online activation tool had no difficulty with that process today, perfectly recognizing a 16 GB Nexus 5X, even including the proper handset image.  Any Nexus 5X purchased from the Google Store appears to be already whitelisted on Sprint.  As you add the Nexus 5X IMEI/MEID to your account, the online activation tool gives you the explicit option to reuse your current SIM.  You do not need to reenter the UICC ID.

With the Nexus 5X IMEI/MEID addition complete, you can power cycle the handset.  The hands free activation process will then start and successfully complete.

AJ

• Like 1

The Nexus 5X user thread is live.  The Wall article has been updated a second time with all LTE ERP/EIRP figures and analysis.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-398-updated-teaser-is-s4gru-5x-certain-that-this-is-the-new-nexus-5x/

AJ

• Like 2

I'll share some pictures I took today after first opening up the package. 

20151020_125926.jpg
20151020_123137.jpg
20151020_123102.jpg
20151020_124536.jpg
20151020_124202.jpg

Just like some reviews have pointed out, the fingerprint unlocking is REALLY fast.  Can't even see the lockscreen.  I'm still getting used to the fingerprint position on the back.  I never liked it on the LG G series.  I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The phone feels almost exactly the same as the white Nexus 5 from 2013.  Slightly matte feeling and a bit slippery.  The mint Ringke case is also slippery so I've swapped it out already for the Ringle Smoke Black Clear Fusion case.

Even the button presses of the Power and Vol buttons are eerily similar to the old N5.  It doesn't feel as solid as clicking on metal buttons like on the S6 Edge. 

It would've been nice if Google instead introduced a Nexus 5P instead and charged a bit more.  On the bright side, I have a feeling it will be super easy to swap out the battery in the future as it was on the old N5.

There have already been two updates on the phone.  Right now, I'm on the latest MDB08I version. 

I'm still playing around with it but so far it's good.  Fast, smooth, and easy to use.  I've already unlocked the bootloader and may flash TWRP when good custom ROMs come out.  In the meanwhile, it'll be just Novalauncher and Root.

• Like 1

This is why Nexus devices are great.  Easily modded. :)

Mine arrives tomorrow.  I got my Verus case yesterday and it looks good.  Surprisingly, the 5X is pretty big, according to the case but I'll have to get my hands on it before making judgement.

I'll share some pictures I took today after first opening up the package.

I am not able to see your photos. It says you deleted or disabled them.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 2

Woo hoo!

2mqj58k.png

AJ

• Like 7

Woo hoo!

AJ

Could we get a user experience based RF comparison between the n5 and the n 5X when you get a chance AJ?

• Like 1

Woo hoo!

Now, the not so good news.  While engineering screens display both PCC and SCC signal metrics and are accessible via the *#*#DEBUG#*#* dialer code, the debug app does not stay in the recent apps drawer.  Moreover, it does not allow a home screen shortcut.

AJ

I have restored a reserved second post, updating it with Nexus 5X activation instructions for those who have other handsets with already activated Sprint SIM cards that also are compatible with the Nexus 5X.

AJ

• Like 1

I am not able to see your photos. It says you deleted or disabled them.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Sorry, Photobucket was being glitchy.  I posted them up again.

• Like 1

I bought the Verus case and ordered two USB-C type chargers from OnePlus.

I get my phone tomorrow, but from the Verus case reviews, it looks like the case doesn't fit quite right. :(

Let me know how you like those cables. I ordered 2 cables from Monoprice but I might want 2 or 3 more and have been considering those cables because they are quite cool.

Let me know how you like those cables. I ordered 2 cables from Monoprice but I might want 2 or 3 more and have been considering those cables because they are quite cool.

I'll let you know.  I have them still in their containers until I get the phone lol.  If the Verus case doesn't work and I really like the phone, I'll probably buy the Google Bumper Case.

Could we get a user experience based RF comparison between the n5 and the n 5X when you get a chance AJ?

That will be somewhat difficult.  I cannot have both running on the same Sprint line in the same place at the same time.  I suppose, though, with the separate SIM cards that I can gauge LTE signal metrics on both.  The Nexus 5 will be inactive, only monitoring network signal.

AJ

That will be somewhat difficult.  I cannot have both running on the same Sprint line in the same place at the same time.  I suppose, though, with the separate SIM cards that I can gauge LTE signal metrics on both.  The Nexus 5 will be inactive, only monitoring network signal.

AJ

That should be close enough, as I'd think you'd be able to roughly tell if you're having 'better' signal in places that you did with the n5. 

I'll let you know.  I have them still in their containers until I get the phone lol.  If the Verus case doesn't work and I really like the phone, I'll probably buy the Google Bumper Case.

I've personally been a fan of Cruzerlite and Diztronic. Check them out if you like TPU styles cases. Diztronic has been my favorite as they offer a more plain design.

Cruzerlite:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014QTDZI4/ref=twister_B014QTDVLA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Diztronic: (unfortunately currently on preorder)

http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Diztronic-Matte-Slim-Fit-Flexible/dp/B015YRPUGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445471613&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+nexus+5x+case

• Like 1

Got my phone today. Waiting on the sim from Sprint. Since I preordered how do we get out gift card. I need to order cables and chargers.

No one replied but in the reviews it was a small card in the box that had headphone icons on it . See:

Also as a bonus for this promotion: http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2015/10/red.html

"YouTube Music is designed to make discovering, watching and listening to music easier than ever. Any song or artist you choose on YouTube Music will start you on a personal journey through one of the richest music catalogs; just sign in, tap a track you love, and see where your music takes you. And as a special bonus - YouTube Red works with Google Play Music, so subscribe to one and automatically get access to the other."

Basically you also get 90 days of ad-free youtube as well, nice!

• Like 1

Mine arrived today. Sprint store said they didn't have the SIM. Went to Best Buy and bought the wrong SIM...for $3 + tax. Sprint store felt sorry enough for me to actually try and find the SIM. They found it, and about two hours after the saga started I was staring at a fully activated 32GB black 5X. Didn't realize AJ had posted the SKUs for Best Buy and SPrint SIMs earlier, otherwise that would've saved me an hour-plus. Ah well.

Subjectively, the 5X is zippier on B41 than the 5, all else equal. Was consistently seeing a few Mbps better down and 1 Mbps better up...35/14.5 rather than 30/13...at the same place. Granted, that's within the margin of error tower load wise, but promising nonetheless. Still can't get B41 inside my apartment, but that's to be expected. For the couple of B41 sites I bounced off of, none had CA so I wasn't able to test out those blazing speeds. Maybe when I head downtown tomorrow I'll find a CA site...

• Like 3

Didn't realize AJ had posted the SKUs for Best Buy and SPrint SIMs earlier, otherwise that would've saved me an hour-plus. Ah well.

At S4GRU, we aim to please.  But we cannot and will not pleasure you directly.  You must frequently visit our site for info to pleasure yourself -- or to use for her pleasure.

:P

AJ