Sprint backhaul

Does anybody know what provider Sprint uses for Backhaul for their cell sites? if they use local ISP's in the area or somebody else.

it seems in my area Sprint uses the same backhaul provider as T-Mobile as they'll have super high latency pretty much everywhere but Verizon on the other hand has a solid low latency.

Speeds are fine w/ Sprint but just the latency is hitting 200+ms like T-Mobile.

Does anybody know what provider Sprint uses for Backhaul for their cell sites? if they use local ISP's in the area or somebody else.

it seems in my area Sprint uses the same backhaul provider as T-Mobile as they'll have super high latency pretty much everywhere but Verizon on the other hand has a solid low latency.

You should check out the Backhaul Vendors by Market thread in the Premier section  ;)

That is information we do not have here. We have some early backhaul provider information from the beginning of NV but a lot has changed since 2011 so we cannot say for sure. 

I hope Sprint is upping the backhaul soon. I am in Las Vegas tonight and I can't find any CA and speeds top out at max 30MB down but in some areas B41 seems to be very overloaded and I get about 3-4MB down.

Those areas may or may not be overloaded. There have been a few intermittent problems in the area over the last few weeks. And just a week ago I was getting speeds up to 49 down with just 2-3 dots of signal on my iPhone.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

I hope Sprint is upping the backhaul soon. I am in Las Vegas tonight and I can't find any CA and speeds top out at max 30MB down but in some areas B41 seems to be very overloaded and I get about 3-4MB down.

Me too. I don't see more than 30-35 Mbps almost ever on B41

Me too. I don't see more than 30-35 Mbps almost ever on B41

And that has you concerned?  Seriously?  Really?

AJ

• Like 9

No. It's just that they're wasting capacity and in areas with a lot of ppl, the network is a lot slower than it could be.

But your evidence does not directly lead to that conclusion.  Your reasoning is flawed.  In areas with many users, speeds are going to be slower -- due to usage.  And 30-35 Mbps is speedy on any airlink, under any circumstances.

AJ

But your evidence does not directly lead to that conclusion. Your reasoning is flawed. In areas with many users, speeds are going to be slower -- due to usage. And 30-35 Mbps is speedy on any airlink, under any circumstances.

AJ

Ok what I mean is when I'm the only user on the tower, I can pull 30mbps on B41. By the Microsoft campus, I can barely get a Meg during the day (on B41). If the backhaul were better, that wouldn't be the case.

Ok what I mean is when I'm the only user on the tower, I can pull 30mbps on B41. By the Microsoft campus, I can barely get a Meg during the day (on B41). If the backhaul were better, that wouldn't be the case.

Nope.  You are still jumping to specious conclusions.  You have no idea if you are the only user on a given sector.  And you lack the information to determine if your signal can support higher speeds.

AJ

• Like 3

Nope. You are still jumping to specious conclusions. You have no idea if you are the only user on a given sector. And you lack the information to determine if your signal can support higher speeds.

AJ

Even if I am not the only person using the sector serving my house, I don't think anyone here is up at 1:30 AM running data intensive processes. Since B41 tops off around 80mbps, and I'm only able to pull 30, where are the other 50 megabits? Unless a -80 to -90 dbm air interface is the bottleneck that's killing 63% of my connection speed, I can't think of anything other than the backhaul.

Even if I am not the only person using the sector serving my house, I don't think anyone here is up at 1:30 AM running data intensive processes. Since B41 tops off around 80mbps, and I'm only able to pull 30, where are the other 50 megabits? Unless a -80 to -90 dbm air interface is the bottleneck that's killing 63% of my connection speed, I can't think of anything other than the backhaul.

Yep, what you describe can be airlink limited.

The maximum is the absolute maximum from the absolute ideal -- 64-QAM, 2x2 MIMO, no retransmission, no other users.

Cross your fingers and hope for good luck.  In reality, top speeds tend to run no better than 50 percent of absolute maximum speeds.  That is just the real world.

AJ

• Like 1

Example:

Sprint; http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1400466127

Verizon; http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4735492390

Same test server, location

In these instances, Verizon backhaul is likely routed through Oahu and then stateside. Sprint's backhaul takes you stateside and then to Oahu. So Verizon would have a better ping in this instance to a server in Honolulu. But would take longer to get a large amount of data complete to its target there.

This is common with island internet service. Any route that takes you stateside will show an increase in ping. Since 99% of your traffic will be going stateside (most servers for most of the things your device will communicate with will be stateside), then the higher ping returns are more accurate.

I would use stateside servers to judge more accurate day to day performance. But use island servers just to see what raw interisland performance is running.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 4

Yep, what you describe can be airlink limited.

The maximum is the absolute maximum from the absolute ideal -- 64-QAM, 2x2 MIMO, no retransmission, no other users.

Cross your fingers and hope for good luck. In reality, top speeds tend to run no better than 50 percent of absolute maximum speeds. That is just the real world.

AJ

Wait isnt spark 4x2?

You should check out the Backhaul Vendors by Market thread in the Premier section  ;)

Does Sprint provide any of their own backhaul?  Being Tier 1 provider, always wondered if Sprint provides backhaul to those sites that might make sense.

Or maybe if they cut some deals to ISPs they provide backhaul to that provide backhaul to their sites.

iPhone supports 4 antennas I think.,.

Negative.  No smartphone ever has supported 4x MIMO.  And it will be a long time, if ever.  Something the size of smartphone will be hard pressed to get 4 individual antenna paths that support LTE.  Not enough real estate.  Not to mention, it wouldn't be very effective when held.

If we ever see a 4x MIMO device, it will likely be on a large tablet, hotspot, or computer or other device (like car).  It may never get to a smartphone with current technology.

• Like 2