Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

Bands

UMTS GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+ (800, 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)

4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 20, 25, 28, 40, 41)

http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-x-pure.html#specs-moto-x-pure-us

No band 26?

Phone looks good for the price-point, main concern would be the battery size to handle that QHD display.

We will have to find out the model number and check that device against the FCC docs. Maybe be a mistaken omission. It's also missing VZW B13.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bands

UMTS GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+ (800, 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)

4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 20, 25, 28, 40, 41)

http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-x-pure.html#specs-moto-x-pure-us

No band 26?

Phone looks good for the price-point, main concern would be the battery size to handle that QHD display.

No band 26, not for Sprint Spark then. Does those bands in the spec sheet coincide with the FCC docs?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Two tenths of an inch is a deal breaker for you? That's about the width of this O. If you can live with 5.5, you can live with 5.7.

Also the screen could be bigger, and the phone could remain relatively the same size (e.g. This phone looks to have a bigger screen (5.7) than the LG G4 (5.5), yet the style is almost exactly the same width as the G4).

• Like 1

No band 26, not for Sprint Spark then. Does those bands in the spec sheet coincide with the FCC docs?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is just for the Pure Edition.

They seem to have kept the bezel size at bay, making it alot more manageable, not much bigger than a GS6.

Here is a screen shot for a comparison
DSC_0737.0.jpg

To be honest, the Nexus 6 really is great once you get used to the size, its hard to go back to a tiny 5inch display. 

My sister has a Nexus 5, and its incredible how much more precise you need to be while typing.

But I do believe 5.5-5.7 could be the sweet spot!

Also the screen could be bigger, and the phone could remain relatively the same size (e.g. This phone looks to have a bigger screen (5.7) than the LG G4 (5.5), yet the style is almost exactly the same width as the G4).

153.9 x 76.1 X Style

159 x 83 N6

142 x 72 S5

148 x 76 G4

So pretty much G4 sized as you say.  That's doable 

• Like 1

Another excellent point.

We will have to find out the model number and check that device against the FCC docs. Maybe be a mistaken omission. It's also missing VZW B13.

I think right now they are only listing specs for the "pure" edition (FCC ID IHDT56UC2). As they get closer to release they'll probably also list the other variant (FCC ID IHDT56UC1) too. That one has band 26.

They seem to have kept the bezel size at bay, making it alot more manageable

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/wABq8WHwi7xJuDrlr8Ys7Djksq8=/1020x0/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3913308/DSC_0737.0.jpg

To be honest, the Nexus 6 really is great once you get used to the size, its hard to go back to a tiny 5inch display.

My sister has a Nexus 5, and its incredible how much more precise you need to be while typing.

But I do believe 5.5-5.7 could be the sweet spot!

I have gotten used to my Nexus 6. Although one hand typing is a bear. And every time I think I'm good with it, I pick up my wife's Moto X 2014 and I fall back in love with it. I'm looking forward to dropping down to the 5.7 again. And I think I like the light adjustments Moto makes to Android. I miss being able to wave my hand over my phone and see the time. The Nexus 6 almost feels like a step backward from the Moto X 2014.

I can't believe I have gotten excited over Motorola products. I have not been a Moto fan in the past. But I'm saving my pennies to try to be able to move up to the Moto X 2015 this year. But pennies have been hard to come by in 2015. At least for me.

• Like 1

I have gotten used to my Nexus 6. Although one hand typing is a bear. And every time I think I'm good with it, I pick up my wife's Moto X 2014 and I fall back in love with it. I'm looking forward to dropping down to the 5.7 again. And I think I like the light adjustments Moto makes to Android. I miss being able to wave my hand over my phone and see the time. The Nexus 6 almost feels like a step backward from the Moto X 2014.

I can't believe I have gotten excited over Motorola products. I have not been a Moto fan in the past. But I'm saving my pennies to try to be able to move up to the Moto X 2015 this year. But pennies have been hard to come by in 2015. At least for me.

I just installed PureNexus rom that has full Sprint DM support, really tough to start over..

I will concede 6 is a tiny bit too big.

But I would never go back to anything smaller than 5.5.

But this 5.7 device looks the part!

• Like 1

I think right now they are only listing specs for the "pure" edition (FCC ID IHDT56UC2). As they get closer to release they'll probably also list the other variant (FCC ID IHDT56UC1) too. That one has band 26.

Yeah, it's the Pure Edition. We already have a writeup on the Wall regarding FCC docs on the Sprint model, and it includes B26. But I am still hoping that the FCC docs on the Pure Edition model shows B26 available. I know many of our S4GRU member set would like to have an unlocked Pure Edition model over the Sprint model, if possible.

• Like 5

Yeah, it's the Pure Edition. We already have a writeup on the Wall regarding FCC docs on the Sprint model, and it includes B26. But I am still hoping that the FCC docs on the Pure Edition model shows B26 available. I know many of our S4GRU member set would like to have an unlocked Pure Edition model over the Sprint model, if possible.

If I were getting this, it'd be the Pure Edition, not the Sprint edition, so hopefully the Pure does really have the B26 it needs.  Otherwise, I'm holding out for sure. 

Sure, but I'm guessing Sprint doesn't.  Wouldn't surprise me if they keep the Spark enabled version for themselves as a differentiator.  So you'll have a choice between universal network compatibility or network performance on Sprint. 

Tim basically covered all of this in our article on The Wall three weeks ago and our discussions prior to that in the staff FCC OET thread.  What we can add to that now is the "UC2" variant will be sold as the Pure Edition.  But there is absolutely no chance it is usable on Sprint.

The Pure Edition does indeed lack band 26.  It is a curious omission, since it includes band 5 and covers all other Sprint LTE bands.  Additionally, it supports 2x CA -- just not on band 41.  Most damningly, the Pure Edition specs from Motorola claim CDMA2000 support, but that was never authorized in the FCC OET testing.  The CDMA2000 is just a latent capability of the Snapdragon X10 modem on board the Snapdragon 808 chipset.

So, in a nutshell, the "UC1" variant is the only one for Sprint.  And it also covers VZW -- should VZW not have its own Droid version this time around.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-389-teaser-hello-moto-x/

AJ

... It is a curious omission, since it includes band 5 and covers all other Sprint LTE bands.  Additionally, it supports 2x CA -- just not on band 41.

AJ

Yeah, that is a darn shame because once a device already supports B5, then from a technical perspective, adding support for B26 is a relatively minor effort (compared to adding say B41 to a US device which might otherwise doesn't support super-high bands and/or LTE TDD). Not sure what was Motorola's thinking on this one, especially given they put B41 support in the device.

• Like 1

I find this whole naming system to be really dump. X Style, Play, Pure? Its confusing.

It also doesnt help that not only are the sizes all different, but so are the specs. I dont like the Iphone but Apple has the naming system right.

Anyone know if the battery is removable?

Do these phones have pedometers?

Yeah, that is a darn shame because once a device already supports B5, then from a technical perspective, adding support for B26 is a relatively minor effort (compared to adding say B41 to a US device which might otherwise doesn't support super-high bands and/or LTE TDD). Not sure what was Motorola's thinking on this one, especially given they put B41 support in the device.

The band 41 support is important to some international operators, so there is that explanation.  But I suppose when Motorola knew at some point that the Pure Edition was going to include band 29 supplemental downlink for AT&T and never going to land on Sprint, it was not worth any added expense to include band 26 and test CDMA2000.

AJ

The band 41 support is important to some international operators, so there is that explanation.  But I suppose when Motorola knew at some point that the Pure Edition was going to include band 29 supplemental downlink for AT&T and never going to land on Sprint, it was not worth any added expense to include band 26 and test CDMA2000.

AJ

True, however, the Nexus 6 does have support for bands 29 and 26 so at least there is precedent for a recent Motorola handset which supports both.

Tim basically covered all of this in our article on The Wall three weeks ago and our discussions prior to that in the staff FCC OET thread.  What we can add to that now is the "UC2" variant will be sold as the Pure Edition.  But there is absolutely no chance it is usable on Sprint.

The Pure Edition does indeed lack band 26.  It is a curious omission, since it includes band 5 and covers all other Sprint LTE bands.  Additionally, it supports 2x CA -- just not on band 41.  Most damningly, the Pure Edition specs from Motorola claim CDMA2000 support, but that was never authorized in the FCC OET testing.  The CDMA2000 is just a latent capability of the Snapdragon X10 modem on board the Snapdragon 808 chipset.

So, in a nutshell, the "UC1" variant is the only one for Sprint.  And it also covers VZW -- should VZW not have its own Droid version this time around.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-389-teaser-hello-moto-x/

AJ

UC1 per FCC docs

LTE bands 2 4 5 7 12 13 17 25 26 41

UC2 per FCC docs

LTE bands 2 4 5 7 12 17 25 29 41

Specs per Motorola for Pure edition

LTE bands 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 12 17 20 25 28 40 41

Misprints aside and given the UC2 is the Pure edition, why the discrepancies between the Motorola spec page and the FCC docs for the UC2 as far as LTE bands? Like the inclusion of B29 for UC2 (not listed on Pure edition) or the omission of B1, 3, 8, 20, 28, and 40 for the UC2.

Also, why are they marketing pure edition as universal if it won't work on sprint?

Thanks

Edited by always_learner

True, however, the Nexus 6 does have support for bands 29 and 26 so at least there is precedent for a recent Motorola handset which supports both.

Very different price points, though.  This Pure Edition is being sold at $399, correct?

AJ

Misprints aside and given the UC2 is the Pure edition, why the discrepancies between the Motorola spec page and the FCC docs for the UC2 as far as LTE bands? Like the inclusion of B29 for UC2 (not listed on Pure edition) or the omission of B1, 3, 8, 20, 28, and 40 for the UC2.

Most/all of those others bands are non US.  FCC OET authorization documents typically do not include them, as they are not the purview of the FCC.  And band 29 is a supplemental downlink only band -- meaning reception, not transmission.  So, band 29 is a special case, a very odd case.

AJ

My personal concern is will sprint whitelist the Moto X variant for their network.