I experience an unusable signal all the time. I work on a boat off the coast of SC about 15 miles north of Myrtle Beach. I get a usable signal around 8 miles or so depending on exactly where we are. I often get a full signal past this but it doesn't work. There's quite a difference between all the companies on the ocean here. I'm surprised I can't get a signal farther out as it's open space. Sprint and VZW go about the same TMO goes further and ATT goes farther than all of them. we sometimes go 12-14 miles and ATT will work pretty much the whole time. I may be wrong but it seems like GSM travels further(usable) in open space.

Negative. It's just in your area, Tmo and AT&T have sectors pointed better over the water. VZW and Sprint may not be pointed directly over water at all. Sprint rarely tries to cover water outside of highest of trafficked areas. Most water coverage by Sprint is unintentional.

Robert is right -- you are wrong.

Because of its slotted nature, single time slot GSM has a hard limit at 35 km.  CDMA1X and W-CDMA are not subject to those same limits.  But CDMA1X and W-CDMA are subject to "cell breathing" that decreases cell radius with increased loading.

Both CDMA1X and W-CDMA still carry significant traffic.  GSM, on the other hand, is practically dead.

So, in addition to any antenna aiming, that may be why you got GSM.  Just do not venture beyond 35 km.

AJ

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well I haven't heard or read anything that Sprint has any plans to shut down CDMA. So I don't think Sprint lovers and customers have anything to worry about. But it would be nice if they get 1X 800 and LTE 800 built out, maybe then some people wouldn't hate Sprint, I used to hate them, now I'm curious about what this signal I've been getting is meant to ask them while I was on the phone with them if there are any new towers going up along highway 63, I would doubt it connecting the coverage that they left off at Lancaster to Ottumwa would make since. Hopefully Sprints CEO is serious about making Sprint #1 or #2 when it comes to network, only way thats happening is by building out, and adding more capacity. They got the Spectrum they got the money from Softbank now they just need to build out.

VERIZON IS SHUTTING DOWN THEIR CDMA/WCDMA NETWORK IN 2021.

Please consider the date of the thread you are posting in... and no need for all caps. Thanks.

I agree. Plus, this ought to have been posted in the General Topics forum section, rather than here. Seeing this thread I never read before, or at least don't recall having read before, made me think perhaps there were some new backup measure Sprint was taking in regards to a weakened signal.

Not having had Sprint in a while, still hasn't stopped me or hindered me in any way from visiting S4GRU. My past experiences with Sprint being mixed between both negative and positive, I keep checking in here, in part, to read about improvements made to the Sprint network. A mystery signal would certainly seem like a positive addition to the Sprint network, perhaps in the same way a couple perceives the birth of a new child. After all, this is Sprint we are talking about.

Anyways, Sprint has an amazing potential towards deploying a tremendous network, but they need to densify, and do it on a massive scale. Sprint customers need not to wonder so much about a mystery signal, but rather keep focusing on improvements being made to the "star" spectrum frequency of Sprint, 2.5ghz band 41!