I'm going with AJs theory on cell breathing, which is why you only get these signals at night. You're probably not going to be able to make a phone call/text/data past -106dBm on 1X. It is cool how far that signal must be traveling to get to you.

I haven't seen any phone connect to a signal that weak, but I'm not surprised you can't use it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The signal usually isn't that weak last night, Wednesday morning I was getting anywhere between 70 and and 95 dBm though most of the time it would stick in the 80 range. When I was taking the screenshots there was a powerful storm system. It didn't stop until about an hour ago, by then the signal was gone for the day. Like I've said it is usually gone by 8am. I will post the other screenshots soon from the other two devices and take more as I get a new Spark compatible device.

Here are screenshots from my Samsung Galaxy S 3 still the same thing, but the signal is slightly better.

K2XGJNI.png

SiRNyYo.png

eDcRnNh.png

3nuNDOF.png

FOGRc7S.png

I'll upload the images from my Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE screenshots soon after this.

Could be atmospherics playing with the signals.  Look up "TV DXing" for an example of what happens in the UHF TV band during tropospheric ducting, and that band is right below the 700 MHz/800 MHz bands.  I wouldn't be surprised, also, if that made the downlink path much stronger than the presumably much weaker uplink path, meaning that you would see a signal you can't actually use because you can see the tower but the tower can't see you.

- Trip

• Like 4

Could be atmospherics playing with the signals.  Look up "TV DXing" for an example of what happens in the UHF TV band during tropospheric ducting, and that band is right below the 700 MHz/800 MHz bands.  I wouldn't be surprised, also, if that made the downlink path much stronger than the presumably much weaker uplink path, meaning that you would see a signal you can't actually use because you can see the tower but the tower can't see you.

- Trip

But why only during the morning hours, and only within a certain time frame, anywhere between midnight and 8am the signal shows up usually its strong and sticks around, and doesn't go in and out like it did during my screenshots. And it happens no matter what the weather conditions, this morning the weather was really bad and so was the signal, yesterday morning was normal-ish and the signal came in like always that morning at 1:39am CST I remember looking at the time the minute I noticed the signal, and I have a photographic memory so I remembered it very well. And around 7:30 the signal was gone, it's always gone by 8am. And it acts almost the same with each device.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see if you could receive any texts when these signals are aquired.

I didn't have a chance to try out texting when I had the signal, as it was only around for about 10 minutes this morning and came in and out faster than I could take a screen shot. I will watch for it again tomorrow morning and each morning afterwards and check out the area around me and see what I get. If I do get text the question would be, why doesn't calling or data work. And if I don't get text the better question is why do I the signal but can't use it.

Does this happen year round?

Anyone know if temperature inversions could be a factor?

I first noticed it last September when I moved here at the end of August, I also noticed it a few times each month since then and have begun watching it daily for a week or so now.

• Like 1

The sites in Lancaster and Greentop, Missouri are close enough as the crow flies to Seymour, Iowa to get a signal when conditions are ideal. Since SCP references Queen City in one of its offset sectors, it is likely coming from one of these sites. Most likely the Greentop site. Or it's possible a new site has been added between Greentop and Lancaster.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 1

Could you post pn part of 1x engineering screen please

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I could but It wouldn't show anything important right now. As I don't have a signal, like I've said before it is always gone by 8am. And it comes back sometime after midnight, so unless you want to see what it says when I don't got a signal I don't think it'll be much info there until I get signal again tomorrow morning.

Also I'm getting a new Spark device I plan to order one today. And should hopefully have it by tomorrow if I get my order in by 11am CST. I'll use it Saturday morning to test and take screenshots on it and post them. I'll update when I get it if by somehow I get a signal with it outside of the midnight to 8am routine thats been happening.

I could but It wouldn't show anything important right now. As I don't have a signal, like I've said before it is always gone by 8am. And it comes back sometime after midnight, so unless you want to see what it says when I don't got a signal I don't think it'll be much info there until I get signal again tomorrow morning.

Also I'm getting a new Spark device I plan to order one today. And should hopefully have it by tomorrow if I get my order in by 11am CST. I'll use it Saturday morning to test and take screenshots on it and post them. I'll update when I get it if by somehow I get a signal with it outside of the midnight to 8am routine thats been happening.

That's fine whenever you got it grab that and might be able to help.

Rickie

That's fine whenever you got it grab that and might be able to help.

Rickie

I definitely will, I was in that area looking around this morning didn't think much of it since I had no signal.  And I'll be sure to post screenshots when I get my new LG Tribute. Just placed my order. Maybe a newer Spark device might act different than these older LTE devices. I should get it tomorrow. But since UPS doesn't deliver before 8am and normall they are in town by 4pm I'll post screenshots of what I get with it Saturday. I'm going to post images from the screenshots from my Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE on my next post.

could it be some neighbors air rave that for whatever reason they only use during certain times?

For an airave to work you have to be within AIRAVE COVERAGE, which it checks. And an airave can't reach that far. I have an airave which I've tried using it worked before I moved here, I never deactivated it, according to Sprint it's still active, but when I try using it it doesn't work. Plus if a device is picking up Airave coverage it would have to go threw since the airave won't let devices connect to it unless it is working. Plus no one in a twenty mile raduis has Sprint they either have US Cellular or Verizon, which Verizon isn't available in my town. And no Airave is going to reach Twenty miles or more, not even a mile, 5,000 square feet thats all and from what I leaned from my Airave when I used it, that means you can be about 50 feet away, depending on the building.

The sites in Lancaster and Greentop, Missouri are close enough as the crow flies to Seymour, Iowa to get a signal when conditions are ideal. Since SCP references Queen City in one of its offset sectors, it is likely coming from one of these sites. Most likely the Greentop site. Or it's possible a new site has been added between Greentop and Lancaster.

SID 4190 is the St. Louis MTA, so that band class 1 signal is definitely coming from Missouri.

AJ

• Like 3

SID 4190 is the St. Louis MTA, so that band class 1 signal is definitely coming from Missouri.

AJ

I'm pretty sure you and I are on the right path. No other explanation is more plausible and supported by the evidence. :tu:

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure you and I are on the right path. No other explanation is more plausible and supported by the evidence. :tu:

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

Plausibility and evidence be damned!

I want this to be a Sprint powered network spaceship!

• Like 1

speaking of weird signals, In Palestine Tx, west of it near the trinity river, I was able to get sprint signal , 1x be it that, with a signal of -100 dbm, and texting/calling worked, even loaded a few web pages. with the closest site being 30-40 miles away. Crazy things have happened like that lately. If I was able to do that Through thick forest of trees, I would not be surprised if something similar is happening to you

speaking of weird signals, In Palestine Tx, west of it near the trinity river, I was able to get sprint signal , 1x be it that, with a signal of -100 dbm, and texting/calling worked, even loaded a few web pages. with the closest site being 30-40 miles away. Crazy things have happened like that lately. If I was able to do that Through thick forest of trees, I would not be surprised if something similar is happening to you

Sadly I don't get a data, and voice doesn't work, haven't tried texting yet. I plan to watch it again tomorrow morning and take more screenshots if the signal acts differently, acts like it normally does. I also plan to switch focus and see what I get when I get my new Spark compatible device.

• Like 1

This is why the shutdown of CDMA doesn't need to be a #1 priority. Leaving a few 1X carriers can allow some impressive coverage.

• Like 3

Well I haven't heard or read anything that Sprint has any plans to shut down CDMA. So I don't think Sprint lovers and customers have anything to worry about. But it would be nice if they get 1X 800 and LTE 800 built out, maybe then some people wouldn't hate Sprint, I used to hate them, now I'm curious about what this signal I've been getting is meant to ask them while I was on the phone with them if there are any new towers going up along highway 63, I would doubt it connecting the coverage that they left off at Lancaster to Ottumwa would make since. Hopefully Sprints CEO is serious about making Sprint #1 or #2 when it comes to network, only way thats happening is by building out, and adding more capacity. They got the Spectrum they got the money from Softbank now they just need to build out.

(UPDATE) It is 8:30 PM Central Time and my device is getting a signal outside of the normal midnight to 8am pattern. Plus it says a new location. I've taken screenshots will post them as soon as I get them on imgur.

Here the images, this is quite interesting it has never broken the pattern before. It's still happening, going in and out. But there is now a signal. Outside of the normal times.

uYCr53T.jpg

cI24Vlf.jpg

uGAiBbM.jpg

FTEoVDh.jpg

From my first look it seems to be the same tower as they all have the same SID. Interesting if this keeps happening.

From my first look it seems to be the same tower as they all have the same SID. Interesting if this keeps happening.

Nope the SID/NID are going to be the same for a given area. The BID is the site specific identifier. This is a new one from what you had previously posted.