WiMax and network stress

MacinJosh

I think that Clearwire's WiMax is starting to feel the heat of network stress in some areas. I just did 4 or 5 speedtests a few minutes ago and the best download speed i got with max WiMax signal was 7.2 Mbps. The strange thing is that my upload speeds were 1.5 Mbps with peaks up to 2Mbps.

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift using Forum Runner

Perhaps Clear isn't investing in PM to save cash. Although Sprint signed on to keep the switch on for 3 more years, I don't recall Clear saying it would keep it running at 100%. I guess I have to stop being gullible when reading press releases.

7.2Mbps is still normal download speed performance.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

• Like 1

From Sprint.com:

"Users of the Sprint 4G network can expect to experience average speeds of 3Mbps to 6Mbps download and up to 1.5Mbps upload"

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/coverage/support/important_coverage_info_popup.shtml

7.2mb is Over what they suggest for 4G speeds.

• Like 1

Visalia is a primary Clear market with many Clear customers. Most of my speedtests lately for 4g here have been 2 to 4 mbps. In fact, my iSpot from Clear won't go over 2.5 now.

I hit 12mbps a few weeks ago, there is a tower a few hundred feet away from me that I always get decent speeds from but its never been that fast. Its usually around 6 to 9 but it was consistently hitting 12.

I'm starting to wonder if some of the Sprint T1 upgrades are boosting Clearwire too

I'm starting to wonder if some of the Sprint T1 upgrades are boosting Clearwire too

Sprint's T1's do not provide enough bandwidth to help a Clearwire WiMax site one iota. Most Sprint T1's are limited to 1.5Mbps. Some ILEC's give them faster T1's...but not many.

Robert

Sprint's T1's do not provide enough bandwidth to help a Clearwire WiMax site one iota. Most Sprint T1's are limited to 1.5Mbps. Some ILEC's give them faster T1's...but not many.

Robert

So i guess Clearwire is starting to prepare some areas for the LTE upgrades.

So i guess Clearwire is starting to prepare some areas for the LTE upgrades.

I guess that's possible. But I wouldn't bank on it.

Robert

Robert

I remember thinking I was awesome because I had a T1 line in my dorm...

That was in 1998 though :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Robert

If it is faster than 1.5 its no longer a T1 :)

• Like 1

I remember thinking I was awesome because I had a T1 line in my dorm...

Your dorm had an actual T1 (DS1) line? Or your dorm had 10BASE-T Ethernet?

AJ

Your dorm had an actual T1 (DS1) line? Or your dorm had 10BASE-T Ethernet?

AJ

I guess it could have been 10BASE-T. They always referred to our connection as T1...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

This is why the faster LTE is lit up in markets and the EVO customers buy LTE phones and can start taking advantage of LTE speeds, the better the Wimax speeds will be for the rest of us and capacity will be relieved.

There is only 2-4 towers (unconfirmed) in Toledo,OH....My best was 6.7mbps. I drive and deliver med equipment, I use speed test for than 10x's a day..They have 4g in the (ghetto areas)...Wonder why ? Is there a location base for WIMAX towers ? And when they put new Network Vision crap in, will they still have 4g in those areas and not spread it ?

There is only 2-4 towers (unconfirmed) in Toledo,OH....My best was 6.7mbps. I drive and deliver med equipment, I use speed test for than 10x's a day..They have 4g in the (ghetto areas)...Wonder why ? Is there a location base for WIMAX towers ? And when they put new Network Vision crap in, will they still have 4g in those areas and not spread it ?

Always wondered that as well with the wimax locations. The two towers in my metro area are in those same areas.

Always wondered that as well with the wimax locations. The two towers in my metro area are in those same areas.

I have heard this comment a lot. It seems to be more than anecdotal. It seems that in many places, Protection Sites are located in less than ideal locations. I have two theories...

1. Tower rents are cheaper in the hood
  2. Population density is higher, so you can cover more POP's with less sites and get to the FCC requirement easier

Or maybe, it's both? Clearwire did not put up Protection Sites so they could be used and appreciated. They put them up for the sole purpose of keeping their license with the FCC. If anyone could actually use the signal, that was just a bonus for them. These were never seen as generating any revenue for Clearwire, quite the contrary. The Protection Sites are a huge financial drain on the company.

So, where they went was not strategic in any way for consumers or usability, only to maximize coverage area for purposes of FCC reporting.

Robert

• Like 1

WiMAX Speeds have always been extremely variable for me.

The routing doesn't seem all that great - the speed tests between various servers has VERY large swings.

That said, the right server at the right time = this:

6872836341_fca383598e.jpg

That said, most of the time WiMAX in Boston is no better than Sprint 3G and the coverage is beyond horrible.

• Like 1

WiMAX Speeds have always been extremely variable for me.

The routing doesn't seem all that great - the speed tests between various servers has VERY large swings.

That said, the right server at the right time = this:

6872836341_fca383598e.jpg

That said, most of the time WiMAX in Boston is no better than Sprint 3G and the coverage is beyond horrible.

Wow. You are getting better download speeds than I do.