Phantom Coverage: Places with 4G Coverage, Not Shown on Clear's nor Sprint's Coverage Maps

S4GRU

There are a few places that have coverage, but for some reason do not show up on Clear's Coverage Maps. I have added this sticky forum post to keep track of them. I will update this note as they appear (or disappear).

• Cloquet, Minnesota. The tower went live back in March 2011. It was initiallly on Clear's maps, but disappeared. The tower was recently confirmed as still operational, though not showing. You can view some of the coverage from Sensorly Android users at http://sensorly.com
  • Allentown, Pennsylvania. I received an e-mail back in July that someone was able to get a WiMax signal just south of Bethlehem. Also, a poster in the official Sprint forums mentioned they received a WiMax signal on the south side of Allentown. Also, Sensorly.com shows one blip of WiMax coverage being reported. However, recent comments from folks in the area cannot substantiate this phantom site. Let me know if you are able to connect to it.

POSSIBLE OTHER PHANTOM SITES:

• Fallbrook, California. A blips appears on Sensorly's site along I-15 near the CA-76 exit, SE of Fallbrook towards Paia. Looking for confirmation that there is a signal in this location.
  • Moreno Valley, California. A blip appears on Sensorly's site on I-215 on the west side of Moreno Valley near Edgemont. Looking for verification that this is real coverage from a protection site.
  • Perris, California. A double blip of coverage has shown up on Sensorly on the I-215 corridor through Perris. Looking for verification of this protection site.
  • Eaton Rapids/Springport, Michigan. In a remote spot between the South Central Michigan towns of Eaton Rapids and Springport, a blip of coverage is hown up on Sensorly's maps. Is this a legit prptection site? Or a GPS malfunction?
  • Hobbs, New Mexico. This town is not showing on Clear's coverage maps, but there was a mysterious blip that showed up on Sensorly a few miles west of town. Looking for confirmation if any Sprint 4G users go through this area. Could be a GPS error on the device that reported it to Sensorly.
  • Rocky Mount/Wilson Regional Airport, North Carolina. There is definitely confirmed Protection Sites in the cities of Rocky Mount and Wilson. However, there is a blip along I-95 that has shown up on Sensorly near the Rocky Mount/Wilson Regional Airport. This area would be out of range of the other two towers. Is this a Phantom Site not shown on Clear's Coverage Maps?
  • Milford, Texas. Right along I-35E, between Dallas and Hillsboro, a blip of coverage is showing up on Sensorly's website, that is not shown on Clear's coverage maps. Looking for confirmation of this site.

HISTORY:

• Des Moines, Iowa. In November 2011, Des Moines was removed from the list. The two WiMax towers there have re-appeared back on the coverage maps at clear.com.
  • Ventura/Oxnard, California. In October 2011, Ventura and Oxnard were removed from the list. The one WiMax tower there has appeared on the coverage maps at clear.com.
  • Asbury Park, New Jersey. Removed from the list when coverage showed up on the evening of September 12th on Clear.com's website.
  • Houghton/Hancock, Michigan. The twin burgs were removed from the list when they reaopeared back on Clear's Coverage Maps on August 16th, after being gone for 2 months.
  • Kankakee, Illinois. Coverage finally showed up on coverage maps the evening of July 27th. Thanks to Rai Diaz who discovered this operating cell before Clear even showed it on their map!!!
  • In early July, the tower in Fortuna Foothills, Arizona (just east of Yuma) disappeared from coverage. However, it re-appeared on July 26th. On one message board, it said that it was taken down temporarily because it interfered with an operator in Mexico and now has been rectified. I have been unable to confirm this mystery.

• 2 months later...

well i can give you some info on the yuma foothills protection site. i have used two different 4g phones to try and get coverage of that site and it does not pick up anything. but then again its the desert and it could have been interfering with radio transmission from aliens for all we know....but it is wierd that it shows that cell site online but no signal from it. hmmmmm? i say aliens

• Like 1

I can confirm this. No connection there either

well i can give you some info on the yuma foothills protection site. i have used two different 4g phones to try and get coverage of that site and it does not pick up anything. but then again its the desert and it could have been interfering with radio transmission from aliens for all we know....but it is wierd that it shows that cell site online but no signal from it. hmmmmm? i say aliens

Sent from my geriatric Evo

• 1 month later...

If you zoom in on Phoenix, AZ from Clear's coverage map, there are 6 towers in the Metro area. 3 in the southeast (Tempe, Mesa, Chandler). 2 in the north (North Phoenix and North Scottsdale, and one on the westside on interstate 10.

I spend a lot of time around the North Phoenix Tower (N. 7th St and E. Bell Rd.) and get a good 4G signal on my Nexus S 4g.

I have not checked the others.

BR

If you zoom in on Phoenix, AZ from Clear's coverage map, there are 6 towers in the Metro area. 3 in the southeast (Tempe, Mesa, Chandler). 2 in the north (North Phoenix and North Scottsdale, and one on the westside on interstate 10.

I spend a lot of time around the North Phoenix Tower (N. 7th St and E. Bell Rd.) and get a good 4G signal on my Nexus S 4g.

I have not checked the others.

BR

I've gotten a decent 4G signal on I-10 between 83rd Ave and 59th.

• 2 months later...

Lafayette, IN has had 4G WiMax for well over a year and I don't see the coverage on any of Sprint or Clear's maps. The coverage is VERY spotty, but i'm down there every weekend and I can always get a 4G signal in certain areas. On average, it's barely faster than 3G.

Lafayette, IN has had 4G WiMax for well over a year and I don't see the coverage on any of Sprint or Clear's maps. The coverage is VERY spotty, but i'm down there every weekend and I can always get a 4G signal in certain areas. On average, it's barely faster than 3G.

I was in Bloomington Indiana on the 5th and I got excellent WiMax signal. It went from fair to excellent as we drove through town. It tested a solid 8-10mbps for about 5 speedtests I did in passing. The shame is I had held off on getting a WiMax phone when I lived there a year ago because I thought there was no 4G :angry: . Turns out the tower less than a mile from my previous apartment was equipped. Shame too because we had Comcast there and that works about 10% of the time.

Edit: Also, greetings from Muncie fellow Indiana S4gru member.

Edited by Contreramanjaro
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's some new phantom sites on Sensorly's maps in Oceanside, CA 92056. They seem to be exactly in the same spots where Sprint's fastest 3G data speeds are. I wonder if Clearwire shares towers with Sprint or vice-versa in these areas. I don't have a wimax phone so I can't test them out.

• 3 weeks later...

There are four Wimax sites I have connected to near my home, that dont appear on sprints coverage but I have passed data on and connected to. There is one in Ocala FL, Lady Lake FL, Brooksville FL, and Sebring FL. Also on Clears website it indicates coverage in Bellevue FL (just south of Ocala and just north of Lady Lake on U.S. 441) but I have yet to be able to connect to the site as if there actually is not a site there.

Edited by jtbnanuk
  • Like 1

There are four Wimax sites I have connected to near my home' date=' that dont appear on sprints coverage but I have passed data on and connected to. There is one in Ocala FL, Lady Lake FL, Brooksville FL, and Sebring FL. Also on Clears website it indicates coverage in Bellevue FL (just south of Ocala and just north of Lady Lake on U.S. 441) but I have yet to be able to connect to the site as if there actually is not a site there.[/quote']

I have a lot of family in Marion County. None of them have ever reported being able to connect to the Belleview tower, ever. Not even when it first showed up on Clear maps over a year ago. I even gave them the GPS coords of the site, just west of town off CR 484.

Thanks for your post.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• 3 weeks later...

In the Asheville Metro Area:

• Asheville, North Carolina just west and north of Downtown where Patton Avenue Intersects I-26/I-240 and extends up to UNC Asheville, West on Patton Avenue out until the interesection of Patton Ave/Haywood Road and extends East into Downtown Asheville as far as Missions Hospital/Pack Square. Also available at the Asheville Airport area.
  • Black Mountain, NC
  • Swannanoa, NC
  • A small area in Candler, NC around I-40 Exit 37.

Edited by izick

• 2 weeks later...
There is 1 tower in Marinette Wisconsin that now has 4g WiMax service

That site has been operating for over a year and a half: http://s4gru.spruz.com/pt/Current-List-of-SprintClear-4G-Unannounced-Cities-Protection-Sites---May-20-2011/blog.htm

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Eaton Rapids/Springport, Michigan. In a remote spot between the South Central Michigan towns of Eaton Rapids and Springport, a blip of coverage is hown up on Sensorly's maps. Is this a legit prptection site? Or a GPS malfunction?

Could you provide GPS coordinates of this spot? I cannot find it on Sensorly's maps; as far as I can see, there's nothing south of Lansing until you get to Jackson. I've got a Samsung Conquer lying about that still works, and could make a road trip probably in the coming weeks, if you still think this is a possible location.

Could you provide GPS coordinates of this spot? I cannot find it on Sensorly's maps; as far as I can see' date=' there's nothing south of Lansing until you get to Jackson. I've got a Samsung Conquer lying about that still works, and could make a road trip probably in the coming weeks, if you still think this is a possible location.[/quote']

The spot has been removed from the maps. Actually many of the phantom sites have. They must have been anomalies. Since I created this thread, I have since received GPS coords of all the WiMax Protection Sites in the country. And this site was not on the list. It may be time to close this thread.

There are four Wimax sites I have connected to near my home, that dont appear on sprints coverage but I have passed data on and connected to. There is one in Ocala FL, Lady Lake FL, Brooksville FL, and Sebring FL. Also on Clears website it indicates coverage in Bellevue FL (just south of Ocala and just north of Lady Lake on U.S. 441) but I have yet to be able to connect to the site as if there actually is not a site there.

That site in Belleview is actually very close to my parents house. However, I've never connected to it myself when I've been up there...

I have a lot of family in Marion County. None of them have ever reported being able to connect to the Belleview tower, ever. Not even when it first showed up on Clear maps over a year ago. I even gave them the GPS coords of the site, just west of town off CR 484.

Thanks for your post.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Had no idea you had family there. I live in Tampa but my family lives in Belleview. The tower is actually right next to the house I grew up in lol.

Had no idea you had family there. I live in Tampa but my family lives in Belleview. The tower is actually right next to the house I grew up in lol.

I lived in North Central Florida from 1987 to 1994. I lived in Belleview and went to Lake Weir Middle School, but we moved to Putnam County and I went to Interlachen High School and graduated there in 1994.

I lived in North Central Florida from 1987 to 1994. I lived in Belleview and went to Lake Weir Middle School, but we moved to Putnam County and I went to Interlachen High School and graduated there in 1994.

Guess that shows what a small world it is. For a brief time we both lived in the same tiny city lol.

• Like 1