Sprint Home Wifi Router [Wi-Fi Connect][Asus AC66u]

marioc21

So sprint is joining the home wifi router club.  From new Stephen Bye blog post.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/connecting-customers-to-the-best-available-network.htm

In-Home Coverage
Today Sprint launched WiFi Connect, a consumer WiFi router that prioritizes Sprint specific WiFi Calling over all other WiFi traffic and includes Smart Connect technology that dynamically manages 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi bands for optimal WiFi data performance, delivering a great Sprint customer experience in homes or small offices.  The solution is available free of charge to qualified customers.

This to go along with the news about free airport wifi through Boingo.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6954-sprint-to-offer-free-wifi-at-airports-through-boingo/?p=416348

• Like 7

So sprint is joining the home wifi router club. From new Stephen Bye blog post.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/connecting-customers-to-the-best-available-network.htm

This to go along with the news about free airport wifi through Boingo.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6954-sprint-to-offer-free-wifi-at-airports-through-boingo/?p=416348

How much would it cost - materials + manufacturing - for sprint to have made it be a pico-cell (b41 + b25) plus wifi?

Ditto for TMO to have added b4 lte + 190" Hspa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much would it cost - materials + manufacturing - for sprint to have made it be a pico-cell (b41 + b25) plus wifi?

Ditto for TMO to have added b4 lte + 190" Hspa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you need LTE + WIFI in your own home? This WiFi Connect device is basically a router with Sprint QOS if I'm not mistaken, similar to the ASUS that T-Mobile is offering. 

The whole point is using WiFi when in a fixed environment and LTE when mobile. 

• Like 1

So sprint is joining the home wifi router club.  From new Stephen Bye blog post.

So where do we signup? Lol. (I wonder if Framilies are excluded from being "qualified").

A lot of good stuff going on for Sprint right now. Between the wifi router with Sprint QOS, wifi calling at airports, Canada data/calling...this new Sprint continues to impress me.

• Like 2

I wonder if I could do the router outside Sprint coverage. Sprint does own spectrum here. Hmmm...

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 6

I wonder if I could do the router outside Sprint coverage. Sprint does own spectrum here. Hmmm...

Wouldn't it work just like an Airave?  It'd broadcast signal on the 1900 mhz range while using your ISP for backhaul.

Wouldn't it work just like an Airave? It'd broadcast signal on the 1900 mhz range while using your ISP for backhaul.

Yes, but they don't send Airaves out of service areas, and it will not work outside of Sprint markets. I'm hoping the router could be different. But not likely so.

• Like 1

Yes, but they don't send Airaves out of service areas, and it will not work outside of Sprint markets. I'm hoping the router could be different. But not likely so.

Well, maybe they'll announce South Dakota expansion and have your account on the list of eligible customers for it.  I may get this for my grandparents.  They're having router issues lately, and Sprint's signal could use a boost for them.  Win/win I think.

While I believe that 80% figure, and the second graph from this NYT article: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/travel/where-will-americans-travel-in-2015-.html?_r=0 seems to confirm that, there are some notable countries missing that I hope are some of the ones targeted for inclusion by the end of the year.  Even if they don't match T-Mobile's impressive list of countries, getting France, Italy, China & Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, India, the Bahamas and Caribbean countries, Australia and New Zealand would be huge for business travelers and vacationers.

I'm sure more will be added with time.  I notice that most of the initial batch were central and south american countries.  This ties in with Marcelo's push to win larger portion of hispanic customers.  

• Like 2

Yes, but this isn't a pico cell.  It's just a wifi router that prioritizes Sprint wifi calls. So maybe.  Doubt it has a gps receiver built-in. 

• Like 2

Confused I am this WiFi replaces airwave??

Giving faster speeds as the airwave was 3g?

Or this only works for certain phones?

Will this handoff back to the network?

Confused I am this WiFi replaces airwave??

Giving faster speeds as the airwave was 3g?

Or this only works for certain phones?

Will this handoff back to the network?

Wifi calling replaces airwave's purpose.

Your phone needs wifi calling, this router is not required, simply prioritizes sprint voice traffic.

No handoff to network until volte.

Has anyone given Sprint a call yet to see if they could order the router or get some info on it? 

I just got off the phone with CS...they had absolutely no clue what I was talking about. I directed them to the press release, and said she said she had heard absolutely nothing. She almost didn't believe they would be providing wifi routers.

So I guess we will need to wait a little more...maybe I will tweet Marcelo and ask him.

• Like 1

I just got off the phone with CS...they had absolutely no clue what I was talking about. I directed them to the press release, and said she said she had heard absolutely nothing. She almost didn't believe they would be providing wifi routers.

So I guess we will need to wait a little more...maybe I will tweet Marcelo and ask him.

I was going to call at lunch but I pretty much expected this. Sprint and its CS reps are rarely in sync on new things.

• Like 1

This is not suprising.  Sprint for some reason likes to announce stuff before telling any CS reps about it.

• Like 1

I was going to call at lunch but I pretty much expected this. Sprint and its CS reps are rarely in sync on new things.

Yep, i think that's the biggest disconnect that Marcelo hasn't been able to solve yet.
  • Like 2

The disconnect is the repz own fault. All these these press releases or policy changes are post on iconnect which is the home page of any computer on the sprint internal network. The thing to remember is to most of the 40k employees sprint is just a job and nothing more. There are a few of us sprint enthusiasts internally and we are few and far between.

• Like 7

The disconnect is the repz own fault. All these these press releases or policy changes are post on iconnect which is the home page of any computer on the sprint internal network. The thing to remember is to most of the 40k employees sprint is just a job and nothing more. There are a few of us sprint enthusiasts internally and we are few and far between.

Do you have any info on the Routers or who would qualify for one?

Not yet im off work today but ill look into it tomorrow.

Thank You. 

And just like I thought this was a good idea when T-Mobile did it, I think it is a good idea for Sprint.  It improves the customer experience while releiving cellular congestion.  It's really a win-win as long as it works well. 

• Like 1

Thank You.

And just like I thought this was a good idea when T-Mobile did it, I think it is a good idea for Sprint. It improves the customer experience while releiving cellular congestion. It's really a win-win as long as it works well.

It probably does if people are smart enough to use it. So many people just have blank stares when they hear about it.

this is the most interesting part of the release;

Outdoor Small Cells 

Small cells enable us to strategically add capacity in targeted high-traffic areas and extend coverage to hard-to-reach locations. The current product we are working with for outdoor street level coverage includes WiFi and should be commercially deployed in the near future.

The network at Sprint is our #1 priority and every day we continue to improve our customers’ experience. We’re excited about the transparent and seamless integration of WiFi, as well as the development of LTE for use in unlicensed spectrum, which we view as a natural complement to our cellular services. You’ll see us continue to invest in both of these technologies as we work to further unlock the true potential of our network and provide customers with an even better experience connecting @home, @work, and @play.   

Only the people who don't actually work hard actually view the releases on the internal websites.

Employees should not be held accountable for bad management. Good management would have had a robust change management plan with multiple internal announcements, training, and us toner service guides. This is basic management 101.

• Like 1

Only the people who don't actually work hard actually view the releases on the internal websites.

Employees should not be held accountable for bad management. Good management would have had a robust change management plan with multiple internal announcements, training, and us toner service guides. This is basic management 101.

I agree with this.  When I worked in CS for a large company, we at minimum would get info like this in a pre-shift breifing.  There would also usually be computer based training and or an email with detailed info. When you work in a busy call center you rarely have time to do a lot of reading on the intranet.