Sprint to Offer Free Wifi at Airports Through Boingo

marioc21

LOS ANGELES & OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), April 30, 2015 - Boingo Wireless, the leading DAS and Wi-Fi provider, and Sprint today announced a multi-year Wi-Fi agreement, enabling access to seamless and secure Boingo Wi-Fi networks in 35 major U.S. airports. Leveraging Boingo’s industry-leading network technology, connecting to Wi-Fi will become as easy and safe as cellular.

Sprint devices within proximity of a Boingo hotspot can automatically connect to the Wi-Fi network seamlessly, providing service at the fastest speeds available, be that cellular from Sprint or Wi-Fi from Boingo. The auto-authenticating Wi-Fi connections are available at no additional charge to all Sprint customers with capable devices, and usage while connected to Wi-Fi does not count towards a customer’s monthly service plan. Sprint and Boingo conducted successful market trials with millions of Sprint handsets, which demonstrated the consumer benefits of effortless authentication onto Boingo’s network.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-and-boingo-bring-seamless-wi-fi-to-millions-of-sprint-travelers.htm

Edit: Only thing I don't see is a list of what devices are "capable". 

• Like 6

This would have been nice a few years ago when they stared upgrading their networks. However, now people expect Sprint to have ubiquitous LTE throughout airports in primary and secondary markets. But it will be welcome at some places.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 5

Also, here's Stephen Bay with a blog post about Sprint's new committment to Wifi.  

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4886-lg-g2-users-thread/page-287

Only thing new besides the airport news is that they will also offer a home wifi call router.  Looks like it'll be free to "qualified" customers. Probably the same asus one that T-Mo offers? 

• Like 2

This would have been nice a few years ago when they stared upgrading their networks. However, now people expect Sprint to have ubiquitous LTE throughout airports in primary and secondary markets. But it will be welcome at some places.

Better late than never. Personally, I always prefer wifi to LTE. One, it doesn't eat my data allotment and 2 it doesn't eat my battery as fast.  Unfortunately I don't travel much for work.  So I hope they expand the wifi option more broadly in near future. 

• Like 2

It's great to have that option for free though. Even if LTE coverage is available, the ability to jump on WiFi is great.

• Like 3

It's great to have that option for free though. Even if LTE coverage is available, the ability to jump on WiFi is great.

Only question I have is which devices are capable of using the service?  Is it only newer models?  

Did you guys miss this at the end?

Outdoor Small Cells 
Small cells enable us to strategically add capacity in targeted high-traffic areas and extend coverage to hard-to-reach locations. The current product we are working with for outdoor street level coverage includes WiFi and should be commercially deployed in the near future.
  • Like 1

And here's a FierceWireless article from back in march that suddenly makes sense.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/boingo-signs-multiyear-wi-fi-offload-deal-tier-1-us-carrier/2015-03-10

So the airport component may just be the beginning.

• Like 6

Did you guys miss this at the end?

Also this

We’re excited about the transparent and seamless integration of WiFi, as well as the development of LTE for use in unlicensed spectrum, which we view as a natural complement to our cellular services. You’ll see us continue to invest in both of these technologies as we work to further unlock the true potential of our network and provide customers with an even better experience connecting @home, @work, and @play.

We already knew that Sprint small cells had WiFi capability and had somewhat of a confirmation that they would be utilizing that capability given the announcement of the deployment in KC.

• Like 2

How does Boingo know a phone is a Sprint phone? Does Sprint have a database of MAC addresses that they supply?

hope its doesn't rely on Sprint Connections Optimizer, that app is really annoying

• Like 1

Only question I have is which devices are capable of using the service?  Is it only newer models?  

I think it's a smart way to use the Connection Manager which 99% of users end up disabling anyway. Automatically connecting to WIFI as needed is pretty cool actually.

Sprint is finally making it seem like their in it for the longhaul. With WiFi "roaming", small cells, and what seems like LTE-LAA, Sprint is in a great position in terms of their network.

I posted this on Reddit, but its also apt here.

Prophet of Truth, Halo 2: There are those that said this day would never come...What are they to say now?

• Like 4

I think this is only going to work on iPhones and Windows Phones. Some of the articles and press releases talk about using Boingo's "Passport Secure" application. Looking at Boingo.com and the Passport Link you will see this;

"Start with a device running iOS7 (or higher), OSX Mavericks (or Higher) or Windows 10. Passpoint works with all Hotspot 2.0 capable devices running Windows 10, iPhone 5 (or Higher), iPad 3rd Generation (or Higher), iPad Air, all iPad Minis, and Macs running OSX Mavericks (or Higher)."

So maybe no love for Android Phones here.

OFF TOPIC - I wish this software would allow me to post Links, Pictures and other things like it use too. :td:

I think this is only going to work on iPhones and Windows Phones. Some of the articles and press releases talk about using Boingo's "Passport Secure" application. Looking at Boingo.com and the Passport Link you will see this;

"Start with a device running iOS7 (or higher), OSX Mavericks (or Higher) or Windows 10. Passpoint works with all Hotspot 2.0 capable devices running Windows 10, iPhone 5 (or Higher), iPad 3rd Generation (or Higher), iPad Air, all iPad Minis, and Macs running OSX Mavericks (or Higher)."

OFF TOPIC - I wish this software would allow me to post Links, Pictures and other things like it use too. :td:

I'm sure they'll have a workaround for Android phones (probably a login portal.)

Otherwise, they'd be restricting access to more than half of their customer base!!!

"Your Sprint smartphone will actually auto-connect to those Hotspots. I noticed this, this week when I was traveling to New York for LG’s G4 event. The Sprint Galaxy S6 I had with me had WiFi turned off, but it would turn on and connect to Boingo Hotspot. Probably a way for Sprint to get some congestion off of their network in that area as well." source:http://mobileosworld.com/post/117773514277/sprint-and-boingo-enter-multi-year-wifi-agreement

'Here’s how it works: Sprint devices within proximity of a Boingo hotspot will automatically connect to our Wi-Fi network, seamlessly and securely. It will be invisible to the consumer – there is nothing she needs to do – no software to download, no passwords to remember, no hoops to jump through. It just happens.
As Sprint’s CTO Stephen Bye said, “By enabling our customers to move seamlessly between secure Wi-Fi and cellular, our customers will have a better mobile experience in more locations, all while lowering the cost of data usage.”' source: http://www.boingo.com/blog/2015/04/a-big-day-at-boingo/

• Like 4

I asked Marcelo on twitter which devices were supported. Specifically if the LG g2 was and received this response from a sprint rep.

@AdrienneNort

@marioc @sprintnews @boingo Nearly all of our Android-based devices are supported

I think as someone stated elsewhere this goes through the sprint connections optimizer app.  No separate app is needed. 

• Like 2

This is interesting and actually pretty exciting. One question though. If our phones will auto-connect to Boingo wifi over WPA-2 connection is that secure enough to prevent hacking attempts?

I really like Google's auto-VPN over WiFi...is there a way to enable VPN automatically while on WiFi or will the WPA-2 encryption be enough?

The press releases also mention seamless cellular to WiFi...I assume that will be data only...right?

Sprint is finally making it seem like their in it for the longhaul. With WiFi "roaming", small cells, and what seems like LTE-LAA, Sprint is in a great position in terms of their network.

Why does sprint need LAA? How is 2.5tdd not enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk