Faulty Replacement Device (Asurion)

tybo31316

About 3 weeks ago my wife broke her iPhone5s. I called Sprint's customer service line and filed a claim for the device. I paid the $200 deductible to receive the replacement. Upon receiving the replacement iPhone5s we noticed that people had a hard time hearing her when having conversations on the phone. At first we thought that it was the people on the other end of the call having issues. Then we discovered that it didn't matter who she called on a variety of carriers and even landlines everyone had a hard time hearing what she was saying. So I made a call to customer service and was told to take the replacement device to the Sprint store they provided me with over the phone. Took the phone to the Sprint store twice and both times the service and repair guys said there's no problem with the phone. Once again I called Sprint customer service and they said its nothing they can do about it because the techs in the store didn't find any issues. Today, I emailed Asurion and is awaiting a reply.

Has anyone had this problem and how can I go about getting Sprint to resolve this issue?

About 3 weeks ago my wife broke her iPhone5s. I called Sprint's customer service line and filed a claim for the device. I paid the $200 deductible to receive the replacement. Upon receiving the replacement iPhone5s we noticed that people had a hard time hearing her when having conversations on the phone. At first we thought that it was the people on the other end of the call having issues. Then we discovered that it didn't matter who she called on a variety of carriers and even landlines everyone had a hard time hearing what she was saying. So I made a call to customer service and was told to take the replacement device to the Sprint store they provided me with over the phone. Took the phone to the Sprint store twice and both times the service and repair guys said there's no problem with the phone. Once again I called Sprint customer service and they said its nothing they can do about it because the techs in the store didn't find any issues. Today, I emailed Asurion and is awaiting a reply.

Has anyone had this problem and how can I go about getting Sprint to resolve this issue?

I had a problem with an Asurion replacement device once, on an Epic 4G Touch.  The store gave me problems.  I called Asurion back.  They replaced it via FedEx.  I had to send the faulty one back, of course.

• Like 1

I had a problem with an Asurion replacement device once, on an Epic 4G Touch. The store gave me problems. I called Asurion back. They replaced it via FedEx. I had to send the faulty one back, of course.

I just contacted Asurion via phone. The Asurion rep is saying the same thing as the Sprint rep. They want me to take it into the store for repair. Every time I take it to the Sprint store they can't seem to find the problem.

I just contacted Asurion via phone. The Asurion rep is saying the same thing as the Sprint rep. They want me to take it into the store for repair. Every time I take it to the Sprint store they can't seem to find the problem.

Maybe try calling the store from outside so they can experience the low volume issue themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If it is under 30 days the service and repair store shouldn't have much of a problem doing an Advanced Exchange. If it is within the 30 days, the exchange does not count against their exchange budget. It is categorized as a 30 Day Bounce in the list of reasons for approving the exchange.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I had multiple problems with Asurion replacements, but they are usually good about replacing the phones they send you.

If you are super nice to the assurion rep when you call and the rep on the other side of the line is feeling the "Christmas spirit", there is always the chance they can upgrade you to the newer model version of your phone. I went from an HTC Evo 3D, to a GS2, to a GS3 in a span of 1 month thanks to Assurion.

Sprint Tech on the other hand...screw those guys. They are the sole reason I had to even use the Assurion deductible.

• Like 1

Just request Sprint to replace at the store.  They will order a replacement since you have insurance.  Explain why would you come to the store twice if it ain't a problem.  I had this issue with a defective device, I just simply requested, please just order me a replacement so I am on my way.  If they give you a hard time, request for the manager and for the district managers info.  Send it my way I will send it to my contacts.  It is BS sometimes, you have to do it.  We pay for the insurance every month!

Escalate this because you are simply not satisfied with their customer service.  But again, the store can simply order a new replacement which I have done so many times if you have insurance.  It will come in similar packaging what Asurion sends.

• Like 1

Has this made you reconsidering insurance? With the 200 deductible, doesn't apple care make more sense?

I can't believe the deductible they charge on top of the high monthly rate.

Yes apple care makes more sense now. Whenever my wife upgrade her phone that's the route that we are going to take. I'm actually considering dropping insurance on both my lines and save $22 a month.

Just request Sprint to replace at the store. They will order a replacement since you have insurance. Explain why would you come to the store twice if it ain't a problem. I had this issue with a defective device, I just simply requested, please just order me a replacement so I am on my way. If they give you a hard time, request for the manager and for the district managers info. Sent it my way I will send it to my contacts.

Escalate this because you are simply not satisfied with their customer service. But again, the store can simply order a new replacement which I have done so many times if you have insurance.

I'm going to go to a corporate store today. The store I went to twice is a third party retailer that the Sprint rep sent me to. I don't go to Sprint stores much but when I do I prefer to use corporate stores. The closest one is about 30 miles out.

Yes apple care makes more sense now. Whenever my wife upgrade her phone that's the route that we are going to take. I'm actually considering dropping insurance on both my lines and save $22 a month.

I'm going to go to a corporate store today. The store I went to twice is a third party retailer that the Sprint rep sent me to. I don't go to Sprint stores much but when I do I prefer to use corporate stores. The closest one is about 30 miles out.

That explains it.  It has to be a corporate store for them to order a replacement.  Third party retailer won't help.

• Like 2

I've worked at a third party retailer and we would order an advance exchange if the problem were there.  Though there are more times than not that the store is close or over what their budget of exchanges is in a month and may be getting pressured to keep it under.

• Like 1

The $200 deductible just makes the insurance seem like a joke to me. You pay $11/month for a year while the device is under manufacturer warranty. So I would end up paying $132 in monthly fees plus $200 deductible. Pretty sure I could find a used device for less than $332 if I needed to.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The $200 deductible just makes the insurance seem like a joke to me. You pay $11/month for a year while the device is under manufacturer warranty. So I would end up paying $132 in monthly fees plus $200 deductible. Pretty sure I could find a used device for less than $332 if I needed to.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

When she broke the phone I started to purchase another one from Craigslist but didn't trust it.

When she broke the phone I started to purchase another one from Craigslist but didn't trust it.

Swappa is safer, and eBay is usually a decent place to get stuff. I sell some of my old stuff on eBay.

• Like 1

About 3 weeks ago my wife broke her iPhone5s.

Since your wife broke her handset, why not let her handle this mess?  Or maybe she should have not broken her handset in the first place.

Generally speaking, women and handheld electronic devices are terrible together.  Women sit on them, drop them, throw them, and just abuse them.

I like women.  And I like electronics.  But that is why I keep the two separate -- because I have little patience for women and electronics.

AJ

• Like 5

Since your wife broke her handset, why not let her handle this mess? Or maybe she should have not broken her handset in the first place.

Generally speaking, women and handheld electronic devices are terrible together. Women sit on them, drop them, throw them, and just abuse them.

I like women. And I like electronics. But that is why I keep the two separate -- because I have little patience for women and electronics.

AJ

I usually handle it because in the past with other issues she would go into the store pissed off. When they find out she's not the account holder they send her away. This is the first device that she has actually broken all the other issues were malfunctioning equipment or bad Samsung batteries.

Since your wife broke her handset, why not let her handle this mess? Or maybe she should have not broken her handset in the first place.

Generally speaking, women and handheld electronic devices are terrible together. Women sit on them, drop them, throw them, and just abuse them.

I like women. And I like electronics. But that is why I keep the two separate -- because I have little patience for women and electronics.

AJ

Uhhh, wow. Umm, yeah. I will just leave that one right there.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 2

Uhhh, wow. Umm, yeah. I will just leave that one right there.

I think you misinterpret my post.  I have little patience for women AND electronics together -- that is why I keep them separate.  But I have plenty of patience for women.  And I have plenty of patience for electronics.  Individually.

Now, it may be a stereotype that women mistreat electronics.  But every stereotype begins with a kernel of truth.  And if you do not believe me, come spend some time on a college campus.  Watch women putting iPhones in their back pockets and sitting on them, dropping them right and left as if they were hot potatoes, chucking them carelessly like spare change into their sharp object filled purses, etc.

Women are worse than men in those regards -- because women generally are smaller, are less coordinated, and view technology as a means to an end.  Some men are inattentive, too, just not to the same degree as women -- because many men view their electronics as their precious toys.

In the end, show me a woman with a year old handset that has experienced daily use and is still in top notch condition.  The odds of that are slim to none.  Meanwhile, my handsets are practically pristine, just like the day I bought them.

AJ

I think you misinterpret my post.  I have little patience for women AND electronics together -- that is why I keep them separate.  But I have plenty of patience for women.  And I have plenty of patience for electronics.  Individually.

Now, it may be a stereotype that women mistreat electronics.  But every stereotype begins with a kernel of truth.  And if you do not believe me, come spend some time on a college campus.  Watch women putting iPhones in their back pockets and sitting on them, dropping them right and left as if they were hot potatoes, chucking them carelessly like spare change into their sharp object filled purses, etc.

Women are worse than men in those regards -- because women generally are smaller, are less coordinated, and view technology as a means to an end.  Some men are inattentive, too, just not to the same degree as women -- because many men view their electronics as their precious toys.

In the end, show me a woman with a year old handset that has experienced daily use and is still in top notch condition.  The odds of that are slim to none.  Meanwhile, my handsets are practically pristine, just like the day I bought them.

AJ

It appears I didn't misinterpret your post.  Your explanatory post expanded exactly what I thought you meant.  And I don't even mean to sound like I am passing judgment on your opinion.  I just was taking a slightly humorous stand offish approach on what I deducted could be potentially radioactive.  Looking for the fallout shelter.   :hide:

Wait... fall out from women?!?... electronics?!?...or both!!!??!!! 

And AJ, you forgot to mention that they habitually forget to charge (or even look at the 1% icon) then and get upset when they die. Lol...

Kernel off truth... it's a whole ear of corn. But I am glad my fiancé never reads this site. lol 

That last post was completely off topic, but should asurion be going away sometime soon? Softbank and sprint are talking about the synergies of having brightstar under the umbrella, but what good is it if they are still using asurion? 

I'm assuming that that deal was inked before Softbank bought sprint and then brightstar, but if it helps sprint's bottom line, why have they not changed?  At best buy, we used brightstar & the replacements were very high quality, very rarely did we have anyone that had a problem with a replacement phone. 

But the real problem is the 3rd party stores not having the tools to fix customer problems when they arose. I remember having to drive to Johnstown NY to get a phone serviced when i was in Erie PA b/c the corporate store there didn't even have a tech & 3rd party stores could only open new lines. 

If they want the revenue from the TEP, they need to have a better system for dealing with customer's problems. Hopefully the new radio shack locations will at least treat customers like corporate stores, even though they might not have a tech on site. 

Wait... fall out from women?!?... electronics?!?...or both!!!??!!! 

And AJ, you forgot to mention that they habitually forget to charge (or even look at the 1% icon) then and get upset when they die. Lol...

Kernel off truth... it's a whole ear of corn. But I am glad my fiancé never reads this site. lol 

I probably will get reamed for this.  And I do not know if it is apocryphal or true.  But the joke about the woman driving and complaining of sluggish acceleration and funny smell -- all because the parking brake unknowingly has been engaged for weeks -- does make me chuckle.

AJ

• Like 3

That last post was completely off topic, but should asurion be going away sometime soon? Softbank and sprint are talking about the synergies of having brightstar under the umbrella, but what good is it if they are still using asurion?

I'm assuming that that deal was inked before Softbank bought sprint and then brightstar, but if it helps sprint's bottom line, why have they not changed? At best buy, we used brightstar & the replacements were very high quality, very rarely did we have anyone that had a problem with a replacement phone.

But the real problem is the 3rd party stores not having the tools to fix customer problems when they arose. I remember having to drive to Johnstown NY to get a phone serviced when i was in Erie PA b/c the corporate store there didn't even have a tech & 3rd party stores could only open new lines.

If they want the revenue from the TEP, they need to have a better system for dealing with customer's problems. Hopefully the new radio shack locations will at least treat customers like corporate stores, even though they might not have a tech on site.

There have already been two synergies. Sprint announced in may tablet insurance switches from assurant to E-securitel which is a bright star subsidiary and they already switched to brightstar for buybacks and trade ins.

The Sprint @Radioshack employees are regular sprint employees with all the same rules and guidelines. I may or may not be running one when the next round open in may. I havent heard back from the DM yet.

• Like 5