Data Caps / Throttling on NET10 via AT&T

darickster09

Hey guys,

So I am new to the data throttling world.  I have a Nexus 6 and as such I am able to swap out sim cards as i please.  Right now sprint is doing work on towers near me so my LTE services are in disarray and do not work very well.  Its worse than dial up on a 28.8 k modem.  lol.

So my question is for anyone who has used prepaid services that use AT&T's towers.  Specifically Net10.  I purchased a net10 sim card from a local store that sells all sorts of prepaid services.  I purchased the $40 unlimited talk/text/data (cap of 500mb high speed with unlimited slower speed).  So my question is since Net10 uses AT&T towers and has LTE, HSPA+, and so on.  is the throttling for if i am connected solely to high speed (E.G. LTE)?  or is it on any of the speeds?  Because on LTE here at my home im pulling about 20mbps or so down and 10 up on speedtest.  Whereas on HSPA+ i pull about 7 down and 1.5 up.  So will I be throttled back worse than that if i hit my 500mb limit of high speed?  Is HSPA+ considered high speed data?  I probably already know the answer to that, but ill ask anyway.  Thanks guy.

Kevin

Net10 is just like straight talk owned by Tracfone/American Mobli (I think thats the right spelling lol). I think its a crappy MVNO company but thats my opinon. Its not throttling probably its the way they have it set up, if I remember seeing that somewhere, I think Howardfourms. Anyways I know that info I just gave wasnt helpful but I saw this post so I thought I would say how I felt about it. Plus why dont you use your Sprint phone even though LTE may not be good? Also some of the new phones also do WIFI calling. Just a thought. 

I am keeping my sprint service, but I cant use data whatsoever right now because of the upgrades.  So i decided to try alternative method until they are fixed.  Thats why.  Plus I dont have wifi at home currently.  cant afford it... plus the rental doesnt want the cable company to come in and do whatever it is that they do.  And the phone lines are messed up in the house right now.  So until they get them fixed for DSL im relying on my phone...

• Like 1

Straight Talk / Net10 throttle to 64Kbps once your data is used up. It doesn't matter how fast or what network (2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, etc) you used up the first 500Mb on - after that it's throttled to 64Kbps.

SOME people on HF have reported that they sometimes aren't accurate with when the throttle kicks in. Keep an eye on it. In the future, I recommend just going to Cricket if you need prepaid AT&T service. More data, more reliable, faster throttle. (128Kbps)

Alternatively, Straight Talk sells data only (tablet) sim cards at Walmart (they can be used in phones). $15 for 1GB or $25 for 2GB over 30 days, or $40 for 4GB over 60 days. Can choose AT&T or T-Mobile. If T-Mobile is an option, you can consider a T-Mobile hotspot or USB modem; Harbor Mobile sells 5GB of data for $15 plus tax each month ($18 total?). Once Sprint fixes the network in your area, you can also consider Freedompop - but you probably have a lot more data on your Sprint service?

Anywho, don't waste your data on Speedtests. Fast speeds drains your data quickly.

• Like 1

I am keeping my sprint service, but I cant use data whatsoever right now because of the upgrades.  So i decided to try alternative method until they are fixed.  Thats why.  Plus I dont have wifi at home currently.  cant afford it... plus the rental doesnt want the cable company to come in and do whatever it is that they do.  And the phone lines are messed up in the house right now.  So until they get them fixed for DSL im relying on my phone...

ok thats why, lol well at least its something even though its slow

Straight Talk / Net10 throttle to 64Kbps once your data is used up. It doesn't matter how fast or what network (2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, etc) you used up the first 500Mb on - after that it's throttled to 64Kbps.

SOME people on HF have reported that they sometimes aren't accurate with when the throttle kicks in. Keep an eye on it. In the future, I recommend just going to Cricket if you need prepaid AT&T service. More data, more reliable, faster throttle. (128Kbps)

Alternatively, Straight Talk sells data only (tablet) sim cards at Walmart (they can be used in phones). $15 for 1GB or $25 for 2GB over 30 days, or $40 for 4GB over 60 days. Can choose AT&T or T-Mobile. If T-Mobile is an option, you can consider a T-Mobile hotspot or USB modem; Harbor Mobile sells 5GB of data for $15 plus tax each month ($18 total?). Once Sprint fixes the network in your area, you can also consider Freedompop - but you probably have a lot more data on your Sprint service?

Anywho, don't waste your data on Speedtests. Fast speeds drains your data quickly.

500 Mb, what is this 2010? What a joke

500 Mb, what is this 2010? What a joke

agreed...  but thats how they make their money!  lol.

Net10 is vzw

No its not with Net10 and Straight talk, you can pick what carrier you want to be on based on the packaging, GSM means AT&T, CDMA means vzw (also can be found on the model as C or G usually at the end). With that being said more specifically Straight Talk did used to ALSO have CDMA S (Sprint) and GSM T (T-mobile) versions too but I havent seen them in well over a year.