Target using Sprint for public wifi

Destroyallcubes

So i figured out that Target in my local area uses Sprint for public wifi, and even possibly for its devices connection to Minneapolis. How common is this to see? Its obviously it is wimax due to higher pings 75-100 usually,  and speeds 2-6mbps. And what will happen once wimax shuts off?

So i figured out that Target in my local area uses Sprint for public wifi, and even possibly for its devices connection to Minneapolis. How common is this to see? Its obviously it is wimax due to higher pings 75-100 usually,  and speeds 2-6mbps. And what will happen once wiimax shuts off?

Have you asked the Target Lady?

8222012-113915-AM--2908966508852674775_z

AJ

• Like 3

Remember, Sprint also has landline business! They probably use Sprint as ISP via cable or fiber. Wimax won't have enough bandwidth for the entire store.

Ive never seen anything sprint related wireline here. Its all ATT and Suddenlink wireline wise. We used to have a clause guaranteeing one phone, and one cable operator in the city for awhile.

Sprint also shows as the 'ISP' at my local Target's free WiFi. For all we know, it might just be a VPN connection since the IP address is out of state and pings are higher than usual. No WiMax in this town.

For what it is, though, it works great. I use it each time I visit the store and it has never failed me.

Well target im sure uses a vpn to minneapolis for its private network. The network here shows wichita kansas iirc

Target's headquarters might use Sprintlink.

Well I dont think thats whats it is. On private computers at target, it shows up as Target Corp as the isp. The private and public use the same internet source, the public does not use a tunnel to minneapolis. It is straight from an internal router/server to restrict illegal stuff and to redirect to the login page. other than that its all in building. What is weird though is we use VOIP and wimax wouldnt be ideal, we could be using bundled T1 offering from them maybe?

Target's headquarters might use Sprintlink.

I looked up the Target WiFi IP address that I did a SpeedTest on yesterday. TCPIPUtils shows Sprintlink as the DNS servers.

http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-address/63.175.184.254

Target now has guest WIFI?

In my rural area all Target stores have had free WiFi for a few years.

Wifi for some restaurants like McDonalds and hotels up here use AT&T.  AT&T exists several states away.  I am sure this is the same type of set up.

Stores with AT&T WiFi in my area are so slow. :(

• Like 1

Wifi for some restaurants like McDonalds and hotels up here use AT&T. AT&T exists several states away. I am sure this is the same type of set up.

McDonald's uses Wayport for there network witch is owned by AT&T.

I looked up the Target WiFi IP address that I did a SpeedTest on yesterday. TCPIPUtils shows Sprintlink as the DNS servers.

http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-address/63.175.184.254

In my rural area all Target stores have had free WiFi for a few years.

Stores with AT&T WiFi in my area are so slow. :(

Ah cool. Well Sprint has a huge wireline network, so I wouldn't be surprised that Target is using Sprint as their IP providor. 

I would have thought that Iliad, the French telecom operator, provided Wi-Fi for Target. 

;)

AJ

• Like 1

I would have thought that Iliad, the French telecom operator, provided Wi-Fi for Target. 

;)

AJ

Right on Tar-jhay with that!

• Like 1

Well I dont think thats whats it is. On private computers at target, it shows up as Target Corp as the isp. The private and public use the same internet source, the public does not use a tunnel to minneapolis. It is straight from an internal router/server to restrict illegal stuff and to redirect to the login page. other than that its all in building. What is weird though is we use VOIP and wimax wouldnt be ideal, we could be using bundled T1 offering from them maybe?

Sprintlink doesn't offer Tx connections. Remember that the guest data need not go through the same VPN or tunnel as the corporate network.

Sprintlink doesn't offer Tx connections. Remember that the guest data need not go through the same VPN or tunnel as the corporate network.

Yes i am aware of the guest traffic being router differently. It goes through a seperate server than the private traffic. and routed different places. Well im honestly not sure what ISP offering they actually use, the speeds are usually pretty symetric, lately its been around 4down/5up

It is called MPLS. Works similar to a VPN but not really a VPN.  And Sprint only serve those big big cooperation. So you won't easily find them.

Ive never seen anything sprint related wireline here. Its all ATT and Suddenlink wireline wise. We used to have a clause guaranteeing one phone, and one cable operator in the city for awhile.

Sprint also shows as the 'ISP' at my local Target's free WiFi. For all we know, it might just be a VPN connection since the IP address is out of state and pings are higher than usual. No WiMax in this town.

For what it is, though, it works great. I use it each time I visit the store and it has never failed me.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I find these comments very interesting.  My Sprint supplied phones all show Target as the WiFi name.  In any Target Store WiFi offering in metro Omaha, Nebraska. useless would be an upgrade.

My normal Sprint 3G is what I end up using in the Target stores..  Outside 4G LTE is spotty at best in this area despite claims the 4G LTE conversion is supposed to be complete in this area.

As advertised by Sprint 4G WiMax is mostly toast, but a few towers were forgotten.  No I will not publish where I can find it.  My mobile WiFi uses only 4G WiMax or falls back to 3G.

As advertised by Sprint 4G WiMax is mostly toast, but a few towers were forgotten.  No I will not publish where I can find it.  My mobile WiFi uses only 4G WiMax or falls back to 3G.

Yeah we kind of know where to find the Clearwire Wimax Protection sites since the S4GRU Sponsors area does contain such a map documenting said sites that were put up to meet FCC minimal coverage requirements to keep their BRS / EBS spectrum. 

According to your profile you have one of the non triband devices that only utilizes PCS LTE 1900.  Omaha, NE and all around is covered with SMR LTE 800 which has superior coverage to LTE 1900 and numerous areas now have TDD-LTE Band 41 as well for capacity.

Having a triband device will substantially improve user happiness due to having additional LTE bands for coverage and speed. We here also have a substantial member base that track Sprints network upgrades in your region (Nebraska / Iowa and nearby) who have complaints mainly about speeds being average and coverage holes due to 3G only GMO sites but I don't recall hearing complaints about actual coverage so it most likely is the fact that you're still using a single band device that causes you the speed and coverage issue. 

Anyways. Welcome to S4GRU and be sure to read the rules of the forum and the FAQ for general info!

• Like 5

Outside 4G LTE is spotty at best in this area despite claims the 4G LTE conversion is supposed to be complete in this area.

About 93% of the Sprint sites in Douglas County have Band 25 LTE. The vast majority of these also have Band 26. As Tim noted, your problem is more a device problem than anything. Sprint still has site spacing issues here, but I'm on LTE probably 95% of the time.

Wimax never was here for any practical purposes. Sprint has a little over 100 sites in the Omaha metro. Clearwire had a 4 site protection network.