Band 41 availability

If the new upgrades have everything in one then why don't they have it up and running everywhere there is 4g? I get that the 800 can't be available when its too close to the border but 2500 has a short range so why not have it broadcast?   

I have seen equipment up, but no b41 signal until 3+ months later. Perhaps it is a shortage of techs to fire it up, maybe a permit build issue, or they are waiting for a cluster launch, I don't know.

In delaware its been random and not in clusters , there lot band 41 on towers but not fired up. Not even close in otimized sites either they got lot work before they can launch a market.some sites dont even reach 1/2 mile yet low power.

If the new upgrades have everything in one then why don't they have it up and running everywhere there is 4g? I get that the 800 can't be available when its too close to the border but 2500 has a short range so why not have it broadcast?   

money too I am sure is involved lol

In delaware its been random and not in clusters , there lot band 41 on towers but not fired up. Not even close in otimized sites either they got lot work before they can launch a market.some sites dont even reach 1/2 mile yet low power.

My my area they did not fire in clusters from what I was told, they probably do Band 41 differently. 

My my area they did not fire in clusters from what I was told, they probably do Band 41 differently. 

B41 doesn't need to be rolled out in clusters. That was only 3G since it was a legacy vs new equipment situation. B41 is simply an overlay at existing Network Vision standards.

2.5GHz uses a 8T8R panel so there's planning and permits involved for that. Then once all that is done and approved, they have to wait for one of the contractors to actually get to it and go install it. Then they need faster backhaul (think about it, just one 2.5GHz carrier on one sector can do around... 70Mbps or more? x 3 sectors = over 200Mbps more capacity on that tower). If the backhaul isn't fast enough, it'd just be hurting speeds on 1900MHz/800MHz LTE. And some companies are slow at upgrading backhaul. As an example, I read on HoFo that T-Mobile has over 200 work orders to upgrade backhaul in Tucson but CenturyLink is taking their sweet time to complete them. It's not always as easy as calling Comcast and requesting a faster package. :P 

• Like 2

B41 doesn't need to be rolled out in clusters. That was only 3G since it was a legacy vs new equipment situation. B41 is simply an overlay at existing Network Vision standards.

Thats what I thought thanks for clarifying 

• Like 1

I thought the new panels were all in one as in 800/1900/2500. In Tucson almost all of the cell sites are upgraded with the new panels and RRU with most having back haul. Do they have to have to be cleared to use 800 before 2500 can be activated? 

I thought the new panels were all in one as in 800/1900/2500. In Tucson almost all of the cell sites are upgraded with the new panels and RRU with most having back haul. Do they have to have to be cleared to use 800 before 2500 can be activated?

No. The orginal Network Vision Panels are 800/1900. Band 41 requires a separate panel, called an 8T8R (8 transmitter, 8 receivers) panel/RRH's. And even though a site may have upgraded backhaul, it may only be sufficent for Band 25 or Band 25/26. Band 41 requires much more backhaul in order to be sufficiently supplied, so although a site may have 25/26, it may not be able to receive Band 41 yet.

And to your second question, no, they don't have to be cleared to use 800 before they can use 2500.

-Anthony

• Like 1

No. The orginal Network Vision Panels are 800/1900. Band 41 requires a separate panel, called an 8T8R (8 transmitter, 8 receivers) panel/RRH's. And even though a site may have upgraded backhaul, it may only be sufficent for Band 25 or Band 25/26. Band 41 requires much more backhaul in order to be sufficiently supplied, so although a site may have 25/26, it may not be able to receive Band 41 yet.

And to your second question, no, they don't have to be cleared to use 800 before they can use 2500.

-Anthony

Oh wow, i thought thought the NV panels had it all. So they have to go back and put more panels up on the sites they already upgraded to NV? Damn.. Is there a time frame for areas where they have to do that?

Oh wow, i thought thought the NV panels had it all. So they have to go back and put more panels up on the sites they already upgraded to NV? Damn.. Is there a time frame for areas where they have to do that?

Yes, they have to deploy extra equipment. A time frame? Well, I would leave that question up to the higher ups on here to answer, as I can't provide an accurate answer to that.

-Anthony

• Like 2

So they have to go back and put more panels up on the sites they already upgraded to NV? Damn.. Is there a time frame for areas where they have to do that?

Yes.  S4GRU has some band 41 projected deployment schedules in the Premier sponsor section.

AJ

• Like 2

-Anthony

See this confuses me. I was under the impression that backhaul delivered to ALL b25/26 sites is scalable instantly to increase for capacity. 

• Like 2

See this confuses me. I was under the impression that backhaul delivered to ALL b25/26 sites is scalable instantly to increase for capacity. 

Scalable? Yes. Instantly? No.  Also, don't forget, to get B25 LTE live, some sites launched with missing or duct-taped backhaul due to delays from companies like C-Link.

• Like 3

-Anthony

Scalable? Yes. Instantly? No.  Also, don't forget, to get B25 LTE live, some sites launched with missing or duct-taped backhaul due to delays from companies like C-Link.

I thought backhaul was ordered with enough for 40mhz of band 41 and the unusual for band 25/26 so we wouldn't have problems like this?

I thought backhaul was ordered with enough for 40mhz of band 41 and the unusual for band 25/26 so we wouldn't have problems like this?

Last I heard around here, that was the original plan, and we all know how long those last... about until they encounter the real world. I think a lot are, but not all, due to all the delays.

Last I heard around here, that was the original plan, and we all know how long those last... about until they encounter the real world. I think a lot are, but not all, due to all the delays.

The backhaul in the most of the NV deployed sites are scalable somewhat. That's why you get B41 sites broadcasting 40 mbps per sector. That's the provisioning for another 5x5 FDD-LTE carrier that does not impact Band 25 or 26.

What they did not plan originally was having multiple band 41 carriers being broadcasted from Sprint equipment since the original plan was for Clearwire to deploy Band 41 hotspts over the Clear network. That plan and work order was not finalized until well into 2013 where most backhaul were already ordered (last minute ordering...wohoo) and equipment deployed from the backhaul companies who did not realize they had to tap into gig capable equipment that quickly. 

It was / is also bad management of backhaul on Sprints part too.

• Like 4

I wonder when band 41 will be on the majority of Sprint sites?

Getting the equipment on the towers will not be the problem,backhaul will be the problem just as it already is for band 25 and 26. Will even be more of a problem for band 41.

• Like 1

Getting the equipment on the towers will not be the problem,backhaul will be the problem just as it already is for band 25 and 26. Will even be more of a problem for band 41.

Eh, as long as they can provision the fiber for more throughput, we should be fine.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I wonder when band 41 will be on the majority of Sprint sites?

Good question. How many sites do they have? Like 48,000 b41 sites including clearwire right? I'd be surprised if they had 20,000 sites with b41 on it right now.