Coverage map updated - lots more Spark and LTE

dkyeager

http://coverage.spri...TNAV=SJS:HE:Cov

Appears to include all Spark areas that were mentioned by Saw: Atlanta, Boston, Las Vegas, Nashville, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose, and Washington, D.C.  Plus those covered by the press:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2015/02/18/sprint-lte-sprint-spark-network-expansion.html?page=all

"The new Sprint Spark markets include:

• Anderson, Ind.
  • Appleton, Wis.
  • Ashtabula, Ohio
  • Camden, N.J.
  • Champaign-Urbana, Ill.
  • Cleveland, Tenn.
  • Fort Collins-Loveland, Colo.
  • Grants Pass, Ore.
  • Greeley, Colo.
  • Manchester-Nashua, N.H.
  • Monroe, Mich.
  • Muncie, Ind.
  • New Haven-Milford, Conn.
  • Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, Va.
  • Peabody-Lawrence-Methuen, Mass.
  • Peoria, Ill.
  • Providence, R.I.
  • Raleigh-Cary, N.C.
  • Sandusky, Ohio
  • Shelby, N.C.
  • Spokane, Wash.
  • Springfield, Mass.
  • Springfield, Ill.
  • Zanesville, Ohio"

And even more b41 sites.

"The new 4G LTE markets include:

• Batavia, N.Y.
  • Columbia, Mo.
  • Coos Bay, Ore.
  • Flagstaff, Ariz.
  • Jasper, Ind.
  • Lima, Ohio
  • Maui, Hawaii
  • Norwalk, Ohio
  • Orange County, N.Y.
  • Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, Calif.
  • Port Townsend, Wash.
  • Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
  • Pueblo, Colo.
  • Salisbury, Md.
  • Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-Goleta, Calif.
  • Springfield, Ill.
  • Statesboro, Ga.
  • Talladega-Sylacauga, Ala.
  • Terre Haute, Ind.
  • The Big Island, Hawaii
  • Vail, Colo.
  • Warrensburg, Mo.
  • Washington, D.C.-Arlington-Alexandria, Va.
  • Wheeling, W.Va."

This appears to be one of the more accurate maps, at least for my market.  Now includes everything except sites brought up during the last month, which is reasonable.  It is missing sites from other markets that have Spark sites, but have not been launched. Overall, a vast improvement over prior maps. 

:tu:  :tu:  Impressive Band 41 coverage. 

Sprint: :thx:

• Like 2

Interesting... the LTE footprint (orange) in my area has suddenly become much, much more realistic. However, the Spark coverage is now wildly optimistic. Showing yellow (best) coverage where neither 3G (purple) or LTE (orange) coverage is shown.

How about when you zoom in about 3/4 to maximum zoom?

Just noticed my area has changed to showing fair, yet we get 50Mbps+ plus turbo is gone from map in this area as well.  Seems like they wiped out some of the Clear B41 coverage.

I wonder what the Spark population count will now be?  at least 150 Million, maybe 175.

Well it appears the Spark coverage in Wichita Falls is showing up on the map already. Though it is extremely optimistic looking more like what the final product should be once they finish the last couple towers and do the optimization.

Interesting... the LTE footprint (orange) in my area has suddenly become much, much more realistic. However, the Spark coverage is now wildly optimistic. Showing yellow (best) coverage where neither 3G (purple) or LTE (orange) coverage is shown.

^This. I barely get b26 in my apartment....Let alone having Excellent Spark coverage. Unless they are planning on putting in some 8t8r here, I don't see that changing. Widly optimistic seems about right.

• Like 1

I just checked the updated maps for LA Metro.  I'm of the opinion that something went very wrong with this map update.  The last version that had Turbo depicted was actually very accurate.  This latest update is like a Barnett Newman painting:

http://www.wikiart.org/en/barnett-newman/yellow-painting-1949

• Like 2

Spark coverage in this update seems to be extremely optimistic.

I agree with this. it states that in my town of Gonzales, CA that I should be surrounded by Band 41. This is not the case. we just barely got band 25 active less than 6 months ago and even then, I cant get LTE inside my house which is located approximately half a mile away. We dont even have CDMA 800 active yet.....unless the recent completion of moving the panels off a temporary tower back to their original location is an indication of this Spark upgrade.

edit: I wonder when Robert will update his completion maps. This should give us some better insight.

• Like 1

Spark is a lot closer to my home on the maps. Is Spark only B41 on these maps or is it all bands? Because I have B26 already at my home and have had it for a few months but the maps just updated recently.

Only Sprint can answer for certain, but my observations are b26 is and extension of LTE, b41 is Spark

Well, around here... the Spark for Appleton is surprisingly... accurate.

But I will call BS on the orange, there are still a cluster of 4 towers still on 3G only that they are claiming are doing LTE.

No way. Nuh uh. I drive past them all frequently and I'm on 3G. It still needs to be purple.

Overall though, Spark is moving quickly and that's a GREAT sign!

Well, around here... the Spark for Appleton is surprisingly... accurate.

But I will call BS on the orange, there are still a cluster of 4 towers still on 3G only that they are claiming are doing LTE.

No way. Nuh uh. I drive past them all frequently and I'm on 3G. It still needs to be purple.

Overall though, Spark is moving quickly and that's a GREAT sign!

What are speeds like?

What are speeds like?

From the towers I've checked, I've gotten anywhere from low 30's to about 40 on B41, usually with only a -90 to -110 dbm.

I know most probably still need backhaul provided to them.

The parts east of Dallas are a bit over stated but not by much. Got b41 on most of I20 going to and leaving Dallas, once you leave the DFW market on I20 it doesn't appear again