JWMaloney

Member Level: eHRPD

• Honored Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 5, Nexus S 4G
  • LocationShreveport, LA

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

I found out a little more about these. They're actually less of mini macros and more of cascaded antennas. The fiber from the RRHs ties into nearby macro sites.

<p><span style="font-size:10px;">Framily is full, thanks guys!</span>

#42 bigmachine

bigmachine

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 6s, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7)
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:41 PM

I found out a little more about these. They're actually less of mini macros and more of cascaded antennas. The fiber from the RRHs ties into nearby macro sites.

Any idea how much coverage that site provides?

#43 JWMaloney

JWMaloney

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationShreveport, LA

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

Any idea how much coverage that site provides?

Band 25:

2016-05-04-5A0D7.png

Band 26:

2016-05-04-5A8C5.png

The three red dots are the satellites for that site. Last time I visited them, they were SISO and 3G-only, and I had to toggle airplane mode to connect to them. That is to say, if they were actually broadcasting LTE, either I couldn't connect to it, or it was using the same GCI/PCI as the parent site.

One more nearby with two satellites. Band 25:

2016-05-04-5A0DE.png

Band 26:

2016-05-04-5A8BE.png

Those two are actually in a location where the LTE map layer shows fair coverage (although band 41 from the site to the north with the green dot covers it well):

2016-05-04-westwego-marrero-lte.png

The other three, I'm not really sure about. They're definitely within a large gap between sites, but it shows good coverage:

2016-05-04-marrero-harvey-gretna-lte.png

#44 bigmachine

bigmachine

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

The three red dots are the satellites for that site. Last time I visited them, they were SISO and 3G-only, and I had to toggle airplane mode to connect to them. That is to say, if they were actually broadcasting LTE, either I couldn't connect to it, or it was using the same GCI/PCI as the parent site.

Thanks for taking the time to add all of that detail!

It's interesting that the second site satellites are within the B25 coverage.  Is there a topographical reason for that?

Also, may I ask, how are you getting the individual sector coverage info?  (I'm assuming that's what black polygons are.)

#45 JWMaloney

JWMaloney

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationShreveport, LA

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

It's interesting that the second site satellites are within the B25 coverage.  Is there a topographical reason for that?

Doubtful. This is New Orleans, everything is flat and sinking.

Also, may I ask, how are you getting the individual sector coverage info?  (I'm assuming that's what black polygons are.)

CellMapper. Keep in mind the polygons aren't the complete extent of coverage for that site -- just the stronger parts of what has been observed.

#46 lilotimz

lilotimz

S4GRU Moderator

• S4GRU Staff
  • 8,744 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Pixel 5", Nexus 7 (2013) & 9 (2014), GS8, GS7, iPad Air 2
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:52 PM

Ah. C-RAN is it? Fascinating!

#47 JWMaloney

JWMaloney

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationShreveport, LA

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:18 AM

Ah. C-RAN is it? Fascinating!

I don't think it would be Cloud RAN, insofar as I believe it's just tied into a standard Ericsson RBS cabinet at the base of the macro site. It might even be a second cabinet -- some of the NOLA permits called for 4 rather than 2 for some reason; and the CDMA cell ID is different.

It's more of an ODAS. This is the XD -> XB relationship I brought up in the town hall thread. There is an XB cascade ID at the location of the macro, and each antenna has an XD cascade ID associated with the XB ID.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's just one of these outdoor configurations. These went up shortly before Sprint retired the RRUS 11 B25, which would explain why we didn't see it more often.

YC1B5M6.png

#48 WiWavelength

WiWavelength

S4GRU Technical Editor

• S4GRU Staff Member
  • 17,650 posts
  • Phones/Devices:N/A
  • LocationN/A

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

It's more of an ODAS. This is the XD -> XB relationship I brought up in the town hall thread. There is an XB cascade ID at the location of the macro, and each antenna has an XD cascade ID associated with the XB ID.

Exactly.

Last year, David Koeller found some unexpected GCIs near West Campus at the University of Kansas.  Later, I determined that it was DAS.  Now, this is a public thread, so I will not post full Cascade IDs.  But here are partially redacted Cascade IDs of two of the several DAS RRUs:  ****XD472 and ****XD474.

Then, at the Plaza Storage macro site about a mile away, I discovered a second base station, a second Cascade ID:  ****XB470.  Note the alphanumerical relationships.  Bingo.  There is where the DAS interfaces with the macro network.

AJ

#49 bigmachine

bigmachine

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

I just came across several of these XD/XB sites in the LA Metro market.

So, if there's an XB, should there be some XD satellites?

Unfortunately it's the areas that are served by these sites that tend not to be mapped on Sensorly.  (And forget the Sprint.com maps -- that's useless as far as hunting sites in this market.)

#50 JWMaloney

JWMaloney

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationShreveport, LA

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

Then, at the Plaza Storage macro site about a mile away, I discovered a second base station, a second Cascade ID:  ****XB470.  Note the alphanumerical relationships.  Bingo.  There is where the DAS interfaces with the macro network.

We found this one a few years ago during the earlier part of NV deployment:

fq_das_nodes.png

fq_das_head.png

So, if there's an XB, should there be some XD satellites?

It's the other way around: If you see XD, you know there's a corresponding XB.

#51 bigmachine

bigmachine

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

Might not be the best thread for this, but if anyone is searching for small cell permits be sure to keep an eye on these DBAs for Mobilitie:

Interstate Transport and Broadband

Utility Pole Authority

CA Transmission Network

Telemobilitie 

NC Relay Technology and Networking

source:  https://medium.com/@...76d4#.y25f67j0d

#52 Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Phones/Devices:HTC EVO3D, EVO4G, ...and others... ;)
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:49 AM

Might not be the best thread for this, but if anyone is searching for small cell permits be sure to keep an eye on these DBAs for Mobilitie:

Interstate Transport and Broadband
Utility Pole Authority
CA Transmission Network
Telemobilitie
NC Relay Technology and Networking

source: https://medium.com/@...76d4#.y25f67j0d

Been awhile since I've been around here but figured if come catch up as we just had a few poles installed by mobilitie here and the permit showed telemobilite I believe... They initially threw a cell up on a 80ft pole but it's being relocated after some complaints on location and will be a 50ft pole now... I'll snag pics when I go by it again.

Had initially assumed it was VZ LTEU testing as I get good service where this pole is covering already.

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

#53 bigmachine

bigmachine

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:37 AM

They initially threw a cell up on a 80ft pole but it's being relocated after some complaints on location and will be a 50ft pole now... I'll snag pics when I go by it again.

The early round of "we're going to build it and you're going to like it" didnt always work out for Mobilitie.

#54 Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Phones/Devices:HTC EVO3D, EVO4G, ...and others... ;)
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

The early round of "we're going to build it and you're going to like it" didnt always work out for Mobilitie.

I'm surprised the city got mobilitie to move the pole location and also make it smaller at cost to mobilitie... Mobilitie claims the new location will offer same coverage but I just don't see how that's even possible...

Oh well we shall see... Surprised to see Sprint moving in here as it's also a dark spot for VZ as well and the hood has been complaining to VZ for awhile now.

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

#55 bigmachine

bigmachine

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

Oh well we shall see... Surprised to see Sprint moving in here as it's also a dark spot for VZ as well and the hood has been complaining to VZ for awhile now.

I can't speak for other areas, but in LA Metro Verizon has mostly placed its small cells in more heavily trafficked areas that seem to benefit VoLTE.  Maybe Verizon isn't finished (is any carrier ever finished?), but so far Mobilitie seems to have more small cells in low-traffic areas than Verizon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ericsson, LTE 1900, Pico Cell, Small Cell, micro cell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users