Spark v. Spark Turbo

So I drove by the towers in question, the closest one (1.5 miles) to me was transmitting at Band 25 on my first drive by, and then on 26 the next time.  I am between the other 2 towers, the one south of me (2.3 miles) was transmitting at Band 41, and while I was near it I got Ping 63, 18.80dl/12.85ul, but about 3 blocks from my house it starts to drop off.  The one to my North (2.3 miles) was showing 3G and -92 but kept spinning on the bottom of the page with the word Connecting. I tried to close the phone app by "throwing away the phone card"(old Palm Pre habits die hard) but everytime I tried to run another test it just had a blank Field Test and Connecting on the bottom.  I ended up having to turn my phone off/on to get it to clear up. 

Is there a certain distance that band 41 starts fading?

Thanks,

Tony

Is there a certain distance that band 41 starts fading?

Thanks,

Tony

There isn't a specific distance that Band 41(or any radio frequency/technology) begins to fade. It varies by every site in every market. It depends on a plethora of environmental factors, site transmit power, down tilt, etc.

-Anthony

• Like 1

Sprint updated their coverage map and it's now more realistic as far as Spark coverage. For example here in Tampa they took away roughly 60 percent of the Spark coverage shade yellow. It almost matches the WiMAX footprint to a t. I also noticed they did the same thing across the country. So the map would indicate Spark coverage only where band 41 is present.

• Like 1

Sprint updated their coverage map and it's now more realistic as far as Spark coverage. For example here in Tampa they took away roughly 60 percent of the Spark coverage shade yellow. It almost matches the WiMAX footprint to a t. I also noticed they did the same thing across the country. So the map would indicate Spark coverage only where band 41 is present.

Nice. What about non spark lte?

Wow...I am actually very impressed with the changes. Where it says fair and spark is there, I most often can get service outside, but not inside on b41. Where it is turbo or darker yellow, I have tested that I can get b41 inside of buildings and have much faster speeds. This map is much more accurate. Good on sprint

• Like 1

Wow...I am actually very impressed with the changes. Where it says fair and spark is there, I most often can get service outside, but not inside on b41. Where it is turbo or darker yellow, I have tested that I can get b41 inside of buildings and have much faster speeds. This map is much more accurate. Good on sprint

I don't agree with this.  On the map in some areas where it shows dark Spark turbo, my phone goes to 3G.  And this is outside.  I think their map it still a LITTLE overstated.

I don't agree with this.  On the map in some areas where it shows dark Spark turbo, my phone goes to 3G.  And this is outside.  I think their map it still a LITTLE overstated.

Well then I guess it depends on your area. Mine is pretty accurate. There are spots where I don't think I would have spark at all, but comparing the places I visit most and where I usually don't or do have spark, its accurate for me. 

• Like 1

Well then I guess it depends on your area. Mine is pretty accurate. There are spots where I don't think I would have spark at all, but comparing the places I visit most and where I usually don't or do have spark, its accurate for me. 

Cool.  Yeah, maybe it is based on area.

I will agree with that, Chicago market is now more true to what the coverage map should reflect

They also changed it in NYC to reflect coverage more accurately. It's great that they're making changes to the maps but it would be better in they just got a whole new map altogether.

I'll settle for just making the thing bigger! At least they have dynamic/smooth updating and scrolling.
  • Like 1

Wow. They really did revamp the "Spark" coverage. Much better reflection of the coverage pattern from each site. Not perfect, but it's hard to make a wireless coverage map that takes into consideration every single variable.

Maps don't take into account buildings, foliage, or other non-topographical obstructions. For Kansas City at least, the map is MUCH better than it was. Not perfect not, but better.

There are also areas on the map that don't have Spark coverage shaded which do have it like recently turned on 8t8r.

Nope, like it was with LTE, that will probably wait for some sort of launch or announcement before that coverage makes it onto the maps.

My area now shows no Spark at all even though I am parked on B41 now, park on it at home, and on most of my commute. 

- Trip

Same as above.

• Like 1

Oh I see. Did they increase the amount of zoom needed to see it? I feel like before you could be further out and see that distinction

I think they did.

Also, I've examined the map and now it appears that it is largely accurate for Charlotte if "Fair" LTE (Regular, non-Spark) means intermittent drops to 3G in a 400m-2mi radius from the center of the "Fair" spot depending on how bad it is.

• Like 1