why does 3g seem to be stronger than B26

Just kinda wondering why sprints 3g which is 1900mhz, seems to penetrate and have a stronger signal then B26?

B26 is turned on at low power, or just aimed lower. They optimize it later to provide better propagation. Aside from that, LTE will always drop out sooner than 3g because it requires a stronger and more stable connection. 

• Like 2

Ahhh makes sense, thanks for the info. Any ideas on if they are still optimizing B26 around Lakeland Fl area.

Optimization is technically a never-ending process (they tweak the settings constantly), but initial optimization (that would noticeably improve range) can happen anywhere from the day after Band 26 is enabled on a tower to more than 6 months later.

Unfortunately, the process is so complicated that it requires a certified technician to do it and Sprint doesn't have enough to go around.

• Like 2

Optimization is technically a never-ending process (they tweak the settings constantly), but initial optimization (that would noticeably improve range) can happen anywhere from the day after Band 26 is enabled on a tower to more than 6 months later.

Unfortunately, the process is so complicated that it requires a certified technician to do it and Sprint doesn't have enough to go around.

I was going to say...my local site has been upgraded to B26 for about a month now and it's reach is about the same as LTE 1900, but the way it is set up is everyone's camping on B26 so it's very slow.  Only single-band phones get B25, and it's much, much faster.  I'm thinking they tune certain areas at a time and continually optimize them.

I like that LTE is spectrum efficient, but sometimes I do wonder what EvDo RevB and higher would be like on Sprint as far as reach and building penetration.

For rural sites where interference is less of a concern, B26 should reach just a bit further than 3G on PCS does (1x included), bested only by 1x800. There have actually been a couple reports of B26 coverage somehow exceeding even 1x800 on some rural highway sites.

In urban/suburban areas, they do need to be more conservative, but I would still expect it to at least match the Ev-DO footprint.

If all surrounding sites are broadcasting B26, but a tri-band device still experiences either frequent drops to 3G or is sticking to B26 rather than shifting up to B25 or B41 during an active data session, then optimization is either not finished in that area, or wasn't finished properly.

Yeah I notice in my area B26 has about the same signal as B25 if not a little worse, can't wait for Sprint to finally optimize it. I've had my Nexus 5 since August and it's been the same no improvement, hopefully by the new year it will be optimized. It's quite funny actually I get no B25/B26 in my house but I am picking up B41 from a Clearwire site a few blocks away.

Yeah I notice in my area B26 has about the same signal as B25 if not a little worse, can't wait for Sprint to finally optimize it. I've had my Nexus 5 since August and it's been the same no improvement, hopefully by the new year it will be optimized. It's quite funny actually I get no B25/B26 in my house but I am picking up B41 from a Clearwire site a few blocks away.

Very similar up in the Pottstown area, i rarely "see" LTE800 despite being surrounded by it. If i do transition to LTE800 it's typically for a few seconds before dropping to EV-DO. On a plus LTE2500 rollout seems to be picking up pace.

Here's a 5 minute video I just took of what optimized B26 looks like at the edge of signal. It beats EVDO, and also rivals 1X.

The "action" starts around 1:40.

What phone is that that picks up LTE so quickly when moving in and out of coverage? Or was airplane mode being toggled?

I swear the nexus 5's LTE scan timer is upwards of 20 or 30 minutes, very frustrating to hit a cell edge and drop to EVDO, returning to LTE coverage mere seconds later but having your phone camp on EVDO for the next 20 minutes.

What phone is that that picks up LTE so quickly when moving in and out of coverage? Or was airplane mode being toggled?

I swear the nexus 5's LTE scan timer is upwards of 20 or 30 minutes, very frustrating to hit a cell edge and drop to EVDO, returning to LTE coverage mere seconds later but having your phone camp on EVDO for the next 20 minutes.

Depends on the device.  If you have an active data session during the set scan intervals, it'll not scan for 4G because it'll disrupt the data flow.  That's why usually you'll stay on 3G often if you're streaming internet radio or have a background process using an active data session.  N5 is one of the few devices I believe that you can't modify the scan timer. 

This is a galaxy Note 4. The reason it's picking up LTE so fast, is because that B26 LTE is the only good Sprint signal it's seeing. When its roaming, it's desperate to find any Sprint service. In an area that has a weaker B26 or stronger 1x/EVDO, it will take the normal ~3 minutes or so to pick up LTE again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a 5 minute video I just took of what optimized B26 looks like at the edge of signal. It beats EVDO, and also rivals 1X.

The "action" starts around 1:40.

Incredible how Verizon has awesome signal at this location but Sprint just struggles ????

Incredible how Verizon has awesome signal at this location but Sprint just struggles

its simply because verizon has more towers in that location for some reason. also they run on 850MHz or something for 3G.

Also a properly tuned B26 site should easily best a 3G site. i mean heck i have read stuff on here with people saying they got 1x800 more than 10 miles from their location (and i have experienced it to) and i have seen my friends verizon phone on 4G KILL IT in terms of range.

Also a properly tuned B26 site should easily best a 3G site. i mean heck i have read stuff on here with people saying they got 1x800 more than 10 miles from their location (and i have experienced it to) and i have seen my friends verizon phone on 4G KILL IT in terms of range.

Not necessarily. LTE is more fragile than 1x/EVDO, and in some places, EVDO may still reach further than Band 26, even when properly tuned.

-Anthony

• Like 1

its simply because verizon has more towers in that location for some reason. also they run on 850MHz or something for 3G.

Exactly....more towers. Sprint needs MORE towers....
  • Like 1

Exactly....more towers. Sprint needs MORE towers....

Sprint's nationwide network site spacing is setup for 1900MHz, if its properly configured it can match Verizon's Cellular 850 setup. Verizon's primary LTE band is 700MHz which means they do not have to deploy LTE on every site they are located on, Sprint's 800 SMR LTE should closely match it in non-IBEZ markets once its fully deployed.  

• Like 1

Sprint's nationwide network site spacing is setup for 1900MHz, if its properly configured it can match Verizon's Cellular 850 setup. Verizon's primary LTE band is 700MHz which means they do not have to deploy LTE on every site they are located on, Sprint's 800 SMR LTE should closely match it in non-IBEZ markets once its fully deployed.  

And the beauty is that almost every site will get 800mhz LTE, so take the PCS site spacing, and tack on 800mhz LTE.

• Like 1

And the beauty is that almost every site will get 800mhz LTE, so take the PCS site spacing, and tack on 800mhz LTE.

VZW is deploying on all the sites they have here in Southern Illinois, the problem is twofold:

1. They have too many customers.

2. That grid has to be densified to handle getting LTE signal everywhere as well as adding on capacity.