Signal Bars on Sprint Samsung Devices

owensri2

I've been curious as to why a say -104 signal on a Sprint Samsung device only shows 1 bar for LTE (Triband Devices), where as the same -104 on a Verizon device will show 3 bars. Anything -100 and below on a Sprint device is 1 bar. Shouldn't this be corrected? It gives the impression that you have terrible signal when actually you have a pretty good signal. Obviously we here at S4GRU know better, but to the average user it's pretty disconcerting.

I've been curious as to why a say -104 signal on a Sprint Samsung device only shows 1 bar for LTE (Triband Devices), where as the same -104 on a Verizon device will show 3 bars. Anything -100 and below on a Sprint device is 1 bar. Shouldn't this be corrected? It gives the impression that you have terrible signal when actually you have a pretty good signal. Obviously we here at S4GRU know better, but to the average user it's pretty disconcerting.

I thought verizon phones show voice signal on the bars. Correct me if im wrong. Just like the single band speint phones used to do.

I've subscribed to the theory that they forgot to make allowances in the formula that determines the number of bars for the difference between RSSI & RSRP. A -100 RSSI signal for 1x or Ev-DO is rather weak and deserves only one bar, equating roughly to a -115 to -120 RSRP LTE signal.

• Like 2

I've subscribed to the theory that they forgot to make allowances in the formula that determines the number of bars for the difference between RSSI & RSRP. A -100 RSSI signal for 1x or Ev-DO is rather weak and deserves only one bar, equating roughly to a -115 to -120 RSRP LTE signal.

I'm 95% sure this is the case. I'm not quite sure why it hasn't been fixed yet though. Maybe future Lolipop builds will have it corrected.

I'm 95% sure this is the case. I'm not quite sure why it hasn't been fixed yet though. Maybe future Lolipop builds will have it corrected.

I can't speak for Samsung but my Moto X2 received the Lollipop update a few weeks ago and I experience the same issue on AT&T's LTE, also my LG which runs KitKat on Sprint's LTE network is the same way, anything above -102dBm produces one single bar. 

Just a note I just go by MikeJeep's SignalCheck Pro app which can display my network type and signal bars the appropriate way.  :)

• Like 2

I can have a -102dBm signal (1 bar) on LTE and it'll pull 30mbps.  And this is on B25.  Not sure why the low signal threshold.  It's within the RIL and appears to be Sprint specific w/ Spark icon.  I'm thinking maybe Sprint Enginerrs don't know the difference between RSSI and RSRP?

• Like 1

This topic has already been discussed, not sure where EXACTLY on this site off the top of my head but it was while ago, not specifically for Samsung but Sprint phones in general....

Mean this thread? http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of your bars, it means absolutely nothing on your notification bar when you are dealing with LTE Data, just like jeremyvbk mentioned in the thread he quoted.  

The signal bars really mean nothing in terms of what your speeds will be. you can have 1 bar and still get 10-20mb downlink speeds, even with a low signal by finding the LTE Strength in debug menu, the same applies.  

If you wonder why your data speeds differ so often, you have to think of network traffic, its not just about your personal signal to the tower, its what happens after you connect to the tower and how your data gets routed.

Most of your data performance depends on the tower load and the switch its going to.  Load balancing network connections in highly congested peak times will be your biggest issue, luckily with LTE we don't notice it much, anything over 5mb down/up is going to feel the same as a 20mb down/up unless you are downloading a file and staring at your percentage progress.

Cable modems and your home internet work the same way essentially... 

If a node supports 100 connections, and you do a speedtest with 99 other people doing heavy data, you may only see a few megabytes.. but if there are only 5 people connected you may see a 25mb download. Load balancing is not the same as throttling, every network does load balancing so everyone with network priority can connect, they will do so at a lower speed until the load lightens.

Throttling you hear about happens depending on your carrier/ rate plan. Sprint postpaid devices get top priority for bandwidth, then prepaid, then roaming agreements with other carriers... If you get a Boost Phone you can get LTE data, but if you go over 1gb ( or whichever plan you are on that states it ) then you will be put at the bottom of the totem pole after the 1gb.  Tmobile/AT&T will throttle you on any unlimited plan, and Sprint will too but ONLY if you are doing extreme excessive data usage.. ( the person that decides to tether to a torrentbox laptop and go through 100+gb a day in bandwidth will probably get throttled and possibly even cancelled, like the people that would abuse roaming back in the day)

Regardless of your bars, it means absolutely nothing on your notification bar when you are dealing with LTE Data, just like jeremyvbk mentioned in the thread he quoted.  

The signal bars really mean nothing in terms of what your speeds will be. you can have 1 bar and still get 10-20mb downlink speeds, even with a low signal by finding the LTE Strength in debug menu, the same applies.  

If you wonder why your data speeds differ so often, you have to think of network traffic, its not just about your personal signal to the tower, its what happens after you connect to the tower and how your data gets routed.

Most of your data performance depends on the tower load and the switch its going to.  Load balancing network connections in highly congested peak times will be your biggest issue, luckily with LTE we don't notice it much, anything over 5mb down/up is going to feel the same as a 20mb down/up unless you are downloading a file and staring at your percentage progress.

Cable modems and your home internet work the same way essentially... 

If a node supports 100 connections, and you do a speedtest with 99 other people doing heavy data, you may only see a few megabytes.. but if there are only 5 people connected you may see a 25mb download. Load balancing is not the same as throttling, every network does load balancing so everyone with network priority can connect, they will do so at a lower speed until the load lightens.

Throttling you hear about happens depending on your carrier/ rate plan. Sprint postpaid devices get top priority for bandwidth, then prepaid, then roaming agreements with other carriers... If you get a Boost Phone you can get LTE data, but if you go over 1gb ( or whichever plan you are on that states it ) then you will be put at the bottom of the totem pole after the 1gb.  Tmobile/AT&T will throttle you on any unlimited plan, and Sprint will too but ONLY if you are doing extreme excessive data usage.. ( the person that decides to tether to a torrentbox laptop and go through 100+gb a day in bandwidth will probably get throttled and possibly even cancelled, like the people that would abuse roaming back in the day)

Agreed.  However, the OP has to do with why there is a difference between a -104 LTE signal on Verizon compared to a -104 LTE signal on Sprint, not how fast your throughput is at a certain signal level.  The Verizon device will show 3 bars, whereas the Sprint device will show 1 for the same signal strength.  Basically, the "scale" needs adjusted to reflect LTE as opposed to the 1xRTT or EV-DO "scale".  It seem as if they just stuck with the same "values" for the LTE scale as they had for 1x and 3G.

• 3 months later...

Seems like even after the lollipop update this is still an issue.

Correct. On a Galaxy S-5 with Lollipop, If I have a -100 LTE signal on either band, I have one little tiny stinking bar. I personally know this is not a bad signal and the LTE will be fine.   HOWEVER, to the uninformed, it appears that the Sprint service is horrible. A -100 signal SHOULD be about 3 bars like it is on other carriers.

Somebody at Sprint or Samsung needs to grow a pair of Gonads and step up and fix this. I never designed a Cell phone in my life, but I really believe that a software update could fix this.

Since most of the population is severely uninformed, this defect is costing Sprint & Samsung quite a few lost sales and is destroying their reputation.   Who would think a phone was ok if you are running around most of the day with only one bar showing for signal strength?

Even though I know the phone and service is fine, I have steered quite a few people away from a Samsung Galaxy S-5 even though they seen mine and wanted one for themselves.  I did not want a friend that was uninformed to see a one bar signal level and not be happy.

• Like 1

Meanwhile on AT&T, my Moto X 2014 Pure Edition says I have one bar with a -134dBm RSRP. In my opinion, everything weaker than -119 should be zero bars, with the LTE signal indicator still showing. It never drops to zero bars anymore, regardless of how weak the signal is.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

Meanwhile on AT&T, my Moto X 2014 Pure Edition says I have one bar with a -134dBm RSRP. In my opinion, everything weaker than -119 should be zero bars, with the LTE signal indicator still showing. It never drops to zero bars anymore, regardless of how weak the signal is.

I've found that the Sharp Aquos Crystal and the LG G Flex do a good job of displaying LTE signal strengths the correct way in regards to Sprint.  I'm sure there are plenty of other devices that do but most I have used/have undercut the LTE signal indicator, hence why so many people complain about not having a good signal even though they really do.  But not all of us are wireless nerds and know that a -100dBm connection is good and a -125dBm connection is bad. 

Of course you never have zero bars, at&t has the "strongest" network. :rofl:

Like back when they had more bars in more places. What I really want to know is: how many of those bars were topples? *topless 

Correct. On a Galaxy S-5 with Lollipop, If I have a -100 LTE signal on either band, I have one little tiny stinking bar. I personally know this is not a bad signal and the LTE will be fine.   HOWEVER, to the uninformed, it appears that the Sprint service is horrible. A -100 signal SHOULD be about 3 bars like it is on other carriers.

Somebody at Sprint or Samsung needs to grow a pair of Gonads and step up and fix this. I never designed a Cell phone in my life, but I really believe that a software update could fix this.

Since most of the population is severely uninformed, this defect is costing Sprint & Samsung quite a few lost sales and is destroying their reputation.   Who would think a phone was ok if you are running around most of the day with only one bar showing for signal strength?

Even though I know the phone and service is fine, I have steered quite a few people away from a Samsung Galaxy S-5 even though they seen mine and wanted one for themselves.  I did not want a friend that was uninformed to see a one bar signal level and not be happy.

I wonder if spamming this to Marcelo on twitter could bring the issue to light. Frankly I'm amazed no Sprint employees have noticed this and brought it forward yet.

• Like 1

I was hoping this issue would be fixed on the S6 but no such luck, the S6 acts just like the S5 with a -100 LTE signal showing the one tiny bar.

I was hoping this issue would be fixed on the S6 but no such luck, the S6 acts just like the S5 with a -100 LTE signal showing the one tiny bar.

When the average person is looking to buy a new phone, if the S-6 has less bars than any other phone in the Sprint Store, they will not buy the S-6.  Sadly, most of the people buying phones are not as aware of this issue as the users on S4GRU are.  We know the phone will work fine. But nobody else does.  How stupid is this that the issue exists on phones a year old and still exists on the new S-6.

Somehow this needs to be fixed and quickly.

Since the phones are on LTE almost all day, the bars should accurately reflect the strength of the LTE signal. Make the bars at the top of the phone satisfy the general public and you will sell more phones.  Don't make me and everybody else depend on Signal Check Pro to know the real strength of the LTE signal in the area.

While Sprint is doing many things very well, this is one area where they have completely failed and the longer they allow it to continue, the worse they look.

• Like 1

When the average person is looking to buy a new phone, if the S-6 has less bars than any other phone in the Sprint Store, they will not buy the S-6.  Sadly, most of the people buying phones are not as aware of this issue as the users on S4GRU are.  We know the phone will work fine. But nobody else does.  How stupid is this that the issue exists on phones a year old and still exists on the new S-6.

Somehow this needs to be fixed and quickly.

Since the phones are on LTE almost all day, the bars should accurately reflect the strength of the LTE signal. Make the bars at the top of the phone satisfy the general public and you will sell more phones.  Don't make me and everybody else depend on Signal Check Pro to know the real strength of the LTE signal in the area.

While Sprint is doing many things very well, this is one area where they have completely failed and the longer they allow it to continue, the worse they look.

Yeah this has been an issue on the flagship Galaxy S devices since they went tri-band with the S4. The only way I can think that this is still an issue is that they don't know about it somehow because they've certainly had plenty of time to fix it. 

With as well as the Galaxy S series sells this should be a top priority, when most people only see the bars having a phone greatly misrepresent your signal does not help when you're already fighting an image of a poor network.

• Like 1

I noticed that the HTC One M8 works the same way.

Switching from the Nexus 5/6 to the Samsung S6 it was odd going to 1 bar.  It's definitely messed up.  In addition, the S6's preference for B41 which keeps my signal lower also helps show 1 bar more often.

Bottom line, it's pretty broken.  -100 to -120 dBm is not all 1 bar in my book.  When comparing networks, the lay person would certainly assume that sprint's coverage is weaksauce.

• 3 weeks later...

I've kindly asked a nice gentleman who does phone reviews to pass this information to his contacts within Sprint and Samsung and he has obliged. It's been my experience that feedback from trusted reviewers is much more likely to be acted on than from customers. So here's hoping we see something come of it.

Bottom line, it's pretty broken. -100 to -120 dBm is not all 1 bar in my book. When comparing networks, the lay person would certainly assume that sprint's coverage is weaksauce.

I do not make many critical posts on S4GRU, but this has been a Sprint "pet peeve" of mine for quite some time.

I honestly don't understand how Sprint hasn't realized the potential ROI that would result from fixing this unacceptable signal level configuration defect on these phones.

From an "average customer" perspective, if I would see one single bar on my phone the bulk of the time, I would most certainly assume the network my device is connected to is inadequate right off the bat.

Of course as time goes on and usability is prevalent on these impacted devices, impressions may change for those sticking it out. However, customers trying out the network on these devices or looking at such devices in store or from their friends/family likely will get a negative impression of Sprint at first glance. Why not get that corrected to stop the bleeding from resulting negative perceptions, especially on some of the "hottest devices" from Samsung (and apparently HTC)?!?

Hell, if this was AT&T having this issue (who claims to have the "strongest LTE signal") you better believe this bug would get squashed as fast as you can say Death Star.

Come on Sprint, you can do better than this!

:endrant:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I do not make many critical posts on S4GRU, but this has been a Sprint "pet peeve" of mine for quite some time.

I honestly don't understand how Sprint hasn't realized the potential ROI that would result from fixing this unacceptable signal level configuration defect on these phones.

From an "average customer" perspective, if I would see one single bar on my phone the bulk of the time, I would most certainly assume the network my device is connected to is inadequate right off the bat.

Of course as time goes on and usability is prevalent on these impacted devices, impressions may change for those sticking it out. However, customers trying out the network on these devices or looking at such devices in store or from their friends/family likely will get a negative impression of Sprint at first glance. Why not get that corrected to stop the bleeding from resulting negative perceptions, especially on some of the "hottest devices" from Samsung (and apparently HTC)?!?

Hell, if this was AT&T having this issue (who claims to have the "strongest LTE signal") you better believe this bug would get squashed as fast as you can say Death Star.

Come on Sprint, you can do better than this!

:endrant:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is truth. Meanwhile, my Moto X 2014 on AT&T never shows zero bars LTE, even when down to -140dBm it will still show one of four bars. And it will jump to two at -118dBm. And it will jump to three at -110dBm and it will jump to full bars at -102dBm. It's almost absurd. But it makes Sprint look bad, falsely.

In the city, I almost always have 'full bars', even when Sprint would only have two with the same signal.

• Like 2