Large phones, i.e. 5.5" and greater, more or less susceptible to dropping or losing?

kamiller42

I asked this on a social media site. Didn't get much feedback. 

Here's the reason for my question.

My wife tends to either lose her phone or drop it. More the former than later. So, rather getting a right sized phone, I was thinking of getting her a Samsung Mega, something so large it would be harder to misplace or leave behind somewhere.

So, are people less likely to drop or lose a large because its size grabs the user attention more?

Now the question is phones 5.5'' or greater more susceptible to being stolen?   :P

Did you see that video of the live streamer streaming the rioting @ Ferguson? He had his phone stolen out of his hand during a live stream that 80K people were watching.

• Like 1

Larger the screen, the more likely it will break too when dropped. Glass does not like to flex. The larger the pane of glass, the more flex that will occur during a crash. If thickness is increased, it could help. But OEMs are making screens thinner and thinner.

The shape of the device makes a huge difference. I find the iPhone 6+ to be ridiculously slippery and more likely to be dropped, while the Note 4 gives you better edges to hold on to.

Sent from my Sprint LG G3

• Like 1

I'd get here the Kyocera Vibe...water proof to 3 ft and drop proof...I dropped this phone from about

3 1/2 ft at a Starbucks one day to a hard tiled floor..no problema...but it's a small phone..but a good

one..I have a Note4 now because I wanted the S-Pen but it DEFINITELY will be easier to drop and

YES I'm more aware of it when I'm handling it BUT people tend to get preoccupied and WHAMO there

goes $700

• Like 1

I'd get here the Kyocera Vibe...water proof to 3 ft and drop proof...I dropped this phone from about

3 1/2 ft at a Starbucks one day to a hard tiled floor..no problema...but it's a small phone..but a good

one..I have a Note4 now because I wanted the S-Pen but it DEFINITELY will be easier to drop and

YES I'm more aware of it when I'm handling it BUT people tend to get preoccupied and WHAMO there

goes $700

Thank you for the suggest. It's nicely priced. I played with the phone at a Sprint store. Seems pretty smooth for an inexpensive phone. They made some ugly UI choices. Not sure why they just didn't stick closer to AOSP. But, the phone seems functional. Wonder why reviews hit it to hard. Are the expecting flagship performance from a low end phone?

Are they expecting flagship performance from a low end phone?

Yup...probably...phone exhibits great battery life and has excellent audio/sound

reproductions...even has wi-fi calling capabilities after the kit-kat update..

• 3 weeks later...

A good case and a glass screen protector go a long way for any phone.

The person also determines a lot. I haven't cracked a screen since college (8 years) but cracked 7 screens in 4 years (while in college). I got noticeably more careful when I got $$ conscious.

And some people will break or damage anything you give them, eventually.

The person also determines a lot. I haven't cracked a screen since college (8 years) but cracked 7 screens in 4 years (while in college). I got noticeably more careful when I got $$ conscious.

How can you tell that someone is in college?  He/she is carrying around a cracked screen iPhone.  It is both funny and sad.

;)

AJ

• Like 3