Apple v. Android Discussion/Debate

IsaiahL

I'm not sure if one of these already exist I did search for one to no avail so.

Here it is the Apple v. Android debate where we can discuss our preferences of OS's and which one we feel is better.

Me personally I feel that both are in their own way good. They're equal in certain ways and but at the same time better than each other in others.

Discuss away! Lol

I feel like this thread might go downhill quick...  Anyway, as someone that has both an iPhone 6 (my current daily driver) and a Nexus 5, I miss Android immensely.  iOS has the reputation of an OS that is usually bug free, but I am seeing anything but that.  Lots of small issues with iOS 8 so far just like Android. 

For me it all comes down to customization and openness.  Android lets you customize things in so many ways, while iOS is so locked down.  For some, being locked down is definitely a good thing, but being a software developer, I like to be able to customize my device as I see fit.  The new Android commercial really sums it up for me.  "Be together.  Not the same."

Oh and SignalCheck Pro really is a no brainer.  I miss that enough that I activated my old N5 on Ting just so I can have that running while in my car to look for new sites and see if the network is performing any differently (optimizations, etc).

To each their own though.  Both OSs are definitely good.  All comes down to personal preference.

• Like 3

Lol nope we have field check is basically the same thing last time I checked lol.

Nope not good enough. Much quicker on android with features like alerts, site logging, site notes, notification bar signal add on, easily can tell what band of LTE you are on quickly....oh and neighboring LTE cells. Plus tablets can use this app unlike the lack of a dialer code access for ipad.
  • Like 2

Oh and I use ios on my ipad mini 2. Like ios for the larger device actually, as its more of a entertainment tablet, with a few apps ive managed to slip in, that arent normally available.

I love my iPhone, and I agree with you 100%. It's not even close. This thread should be closed lol. It's only going to go downhill and we already have a criticism thread.

Yeah.  I don't see this thread going anywhere good...  Again, I love the iPhone 6.  In terms of a device, it beats anything else I have used personally.  I just wish iOS was a little bit more open for developers.  (Seriously, about 95% of my complaints are that we don't have a public API to create a SignalCheck clone haha :D )

• Like 1

I feel like this thread might go downhill quick... Anyway, as someone that has both an iPhone 6 (my current daily driver) and a Nexus 5, I miss Android immensely. iOS has the reputation of an OS that is usually bug free, but I am seeing anything but that. Lots of small issues with iOS 8 so far just like Android.

For me it all comes down to customization and openness. Android lets you customize things in so many ways, while iOS is so locked down. For some, being locked down is definitely a good thing, but being a software developer, I like to be able to customize my device as I see fit. The new Android commercial really sums it up for me. "Be together. Not the same."

Oh and SignalCheck Pro really is a no brainer. I miss that enough that I activated my old N5 on Ting just so I can have that running while in my car to look for new sites and see if the network is performing any differently (optimizations, etc).

To each their own though. Both OSs are definitely good. All comes down to personal preference.

Yeah I know this discussion gets people heated but I'm hoping people will keep their cool..

I completely understand your point of view. The most recent update with iOS has been very very buggy and I think that happened because, this is the first time Apple has ever opened up their software to anyone in such a big way (may not be a way to all but for them it's huge) bugs are bound to be found. I'm pretty sure iOS 8 is going to be updated at least a couple thousand times before they get all the kinks corrected.

I'm currently using an iPhone 5 and I'm getting 6 and I can understand what you mean when you say closedness. That's one reason I actually like Android L and if I wasn't so deep into Apple's OS I'd probably get a Nexus 6. In a way Android L reminds me of iOS 8 trying to be simplistic and the bright colors. I like lol.

Yeah. I don't see this thread going anywhere good... Again, I love the iPhone 6. In terms of a device, it beats anything else I have used personally. I just wish iOS was a little bit more open for developers. (Seriously, about 95% of my complaints are that we don't have a public API to create a SignalCheck clone haha :D )

I completely agree, I was talking to a friend about this. iPhones are literally some of the best devices out there. It's the lack of customization on the OS that makes it a problem. I kinda wish someone would invent a way to dual boot Apple's phones for it run iOS and Android lol.

I'm not sure what good will come out of this thread. Everyone needs to remain civil. Please be respectful. If things start going sideways, we will take the thread offline, as warranted.

• Like 6

I'm not sure what good will come out of this thread. Everyone needs to remain civil. Please be respectful. If things start going sideways, we will take the thread offline, as warranted.

Agreed.

• Like 1

I completely agree, I was talking to a friend about this. iPhones are literally some of the best devices out there. It's the lack of customization on the OS that makes it a problem. I kinda wish someone would invent a way to dual boot Apple's phones for it run iOS and Android lol.

Yeah I actually looked into it, but it is definitely a nonstarter.  If there is ONE thing that I don't like about the iPhones it is that it still only has 1 GB of RAM.  My gripe with it is that every time I open back up Safari it has to completely reload the current webpage (say you are browsing the web and get a text message.  So you open up messaging and reply then go back to Safari).  Something I never experienced with Android on my N5. 

Not a deal breaker by any means, but a minor thing that annoys me.

• Like 4

apples hardware running android would be a poor performance. I thought someone basically loaded android onto their IPhone 5 or something and it was a bad performance, on par with those cheap prepaid devices. Now imagine how long a device like the nexus or galaxy note 4 with IOS. It would be a smooth performance as it'd be future proof with its ram, and processor, but all in a dream.
  • Like 1

If there is ONE thing that I don't like about the iPhones it is that it still only has 1 GB of RAM. My gripe with it is that every time I open back up Safari it has to completely reload the current webpage (say you are browsing the web and get a text message. So you open up messaging and reply then go back to Safari). Something I never experienced with Android on my N5.

Not a deal breaker by any means, but a minor thing that annoys me.

OMG. I was dealing with this last night. I go on Tech websites very frequently and I'll scroll through and open the pages I wanna read in different tabs. They'll load up then when I go to read them refresh. I don't understand the whole 1GB of RAM thing.

• Like 1

apples hardware running android would be a poor performance. I thought someone basically loaded android onto their IPhone 5 or something and it was a bad performance, on par with those cheap prepaid devices. Now imagine how long a device like the nexus or galaxy note 4 with IOS. It would be a smooth performance as it'd be future proof with its ram, and processor, but all in a dream.

It's cause Apple optimizes their software to run on their specific phones regardless of specs .

OMG. I was dealing with this last night. I go on Tech websites very frequently and I'll scroll through and open the pages I wanna read in different tabs. They'll load up then when I go to read them refresh. I don't understand the whole 1GB of RAM thing.

Its all about maximizing profits which apple is the best at.  You see, no matter what type of internals they use, they will still sell like hot cakes so whats the point of spending extra money on unnecessary upgrades if you gonna still sell the same amount of units anyway?  Besides, iOS is a hell of a lot more efficient than android. This is the problem with samsung right now, they are trying so hard to stay relevant that they will release any and everything they can virtually think of and that may help increase their revenues no doubt, but it will also eat away at their profit margins.

• Like 2

Apple makes great hardware.

I hate their software policies and their desire to think they own your phone, that you bought.  It stifles development and irritates me to no end.  I have to work with mobile applications and I would rather do 100 android apps instead of 1 iOS app.

Thats all I have to say on the android vs iOS discussion.  Not going to take any bait.

• Like 2