600 MHz auction results posted and transition schedule

ericdabbs

• 2 weeks later...

Is there something to prevent Softbank/Sprint jumping in and winning all of the 30/40MHz reserved spectrum?

Likely the only limitation is the size of their war chest and how deeply they're willing to dig into it.

¿Que?

When it comes to maximus, more like ¡qué lástima!

AJ

I wish Dish would either have to pay more ore not able buy that spectrum at all. It is ridiculous on what they are doing. How are they able to buy all this spectrum and not have to sell what they don't use. They should be limited just like the wireless carriers are for how much spectrum they can have in each market.

• Like 1

I wish Dish would either have to pay more ore not able buy that spectrum at all. It is ridiculous on what they are doing. How are they able to buy all this spectrum and not have to sell what they don't use. They should be limited just like the wireless carriers are for how much spectrum they can have in each market.

They are. They can't own > 1/3 in each market.

Stop worrying about it.  Dish's spectrum accumulation is not presently causing problems.  Construction requirements cannot be imposed overnight -- that is not realistic.  Rather, those deadlines must be set years in the future.  If Dish just continues to dick around for the next several years, then it will face the consequences.  For now, though, you have to wait and see.  And as a fair comparison, remember that the FCC awarded Nextel the set of PCS G block nationwide licenses as compensatory spectrum over a decade ago, but Sprint did not put that spectrum into commercial service until 2012.

AJ

However, the subject isn't 9000 cell sites. The subject is the 600MHz auction.

I thought the subject was softy's desire to dig deeply.

I guess they could think that 600MHz is more important to Sprint's survival but since it won't be deployable until 2017-2020, the extra 9k+ sites would seem to do more for sprint short term.

For one, you thought incorrectly; the title of this thread makes it pretty clear what the subject is. Two, I don't know who or what 'softy' is. Moreover, like a lot of people on the internet, you seem to be caught up in an either/or fallacy.

• Like 2

Stop worrying about it.  Dish's spectrum accumulation is not presently causing problems.  Construction requirements cannot be imposed overnight -- that is not realistic.  Rather, those deadlines must be set years in the future.  If Dish just continues to dick around for the next several years, then it will face the consequences.  For now, though, you have to wait and see.  And as a fair comparison, remember that the FCC awarded Nextel the set of PCS G block nationwide licenses as compensatory spectrum over a decade ago, but Sprint did not put that spectrum into commercial service until 2012.

AJ

AWS-4 Interim Build-out Requirement: Within four (4) years, a licensee shall provide reliable terrestrial signal coverage and offer terrestrial service to at least forty (40) percent of its total AWS-4 population. A licensee’s total AWS-4 population shall be calculated by summing the population of each of its license areas in the AWS-4 band.  AWS-4 Final Build-out Requirement: Within seven (7) years, a licensee shall provide reliable terrestrial signal coverage and offer terrestrial service to at least seventy (70) percent of the population in each of its license areas. 188. Additionally, we adopt the following penalties for failing to meet the build-out benchmarks:  Failure to Meet AWS-4 Interim Build-out Requirement: Where a licensee fails to meet the aggregate AWS-4 Interim Build-out Requirement, the AWS-4 Final Build-out Requirement shall be accelerated by one year (from seven to six years).  Failure to Meet AWS-4 Final Build-out Requirement: Where a licensee fails to meet the AWS-4 Final Build-out Requirement in any EA, its authorization for each EA in which it fails to meet the requirement shall terminate automatically without Commission action. To the extent that the licensee also holds the 2 GHz MSS rights for the affected license area, failure to meet the AWS-4 Final Build-out Requirement in an EA shall also result in the MSS protection rule in section 27.1136 of the Commission’s rules no longer applying to that EA.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-12-151A1.pdf

Adopted: December 11, 2012 Released: December 17, 2012

Discussion. Under the waiver standard articulated above, we grant the one-year waiver DISH requests. In adopting the AWS-4 performance requirements, the Commission observed it “establishes performance requirements to promote the productive use of spectrum, to encourage licensees to provide service to customers expeditiously, and to promote the provision of innovative services throughout the license area(s), including in rural areas.”

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-13-2409A1.pdf

For one, you thought incorrectly; the title of this thread makes it pretty clear what the subject is. Two, I don't know who or what 'softy' is. Moreover, like a lot of people on the internet, you seem to be caught up in an either/or fallacy.

softy=softbank, shortening

For one, you thought incorrectly; the title of this thread makes it pretty clear what the subject is. Two, I don't know who or what 'softy' is.

No "softy" for maximus.  He has a hard on for S4GRU.

AJ

• Like 6

softy=softbank, shortening

Thanks for clearing that up...Anyway, the 600MHz auction if and when it occurs is likely to be the last auction of low band spectrum for quite some time. It's not unreasonable to expect that SoftBank as well as all of the other carriers, large and small, to pull out all of the stops to acquire as much as they can. Now I doubt that anybody not in their C-suite can accurately project what SoftBank's bidding strategy will be and how it'll all shake out at this juncture.

And as a fair comparison, remember that the FCC awarded Nextel the set of PCS G block nationwide licenses as compensatory spectrum over a decade ago, but Sprint did not put that spectrum into commercial service until 2012.

That doesn't make it okay. And before you jump on me about it, yes I'm aware that T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon have done this too. Every single spectrum license holder does this, and I still don't believe it's a good thing to allow such wastefulness.