xfinitywifi

linhpham2

I have comcast for home internet. I started noticing that xfinitywifi is available all over my metro area (Portland). I tried connecting to the xfinitywifi signal and my phone says that I'm connected. However, I've not able to enter my comcast email or password in order to take advantage of the service from my phone. I keep getting the error message: connection refused or reset (something like that). Comcast customer care was no help. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Try browsing a page in the stock browser and see if it redirects you to a log in?

I tried using chrome to see if got redirected to a login landing page. I'll have to wait until out of my house and near a xfinitywifi signal to try again with a different browser. I kept getting that error message with the sprint connections optimizer" screen on my phone.

I have comcast for home internet. I started noticing that xfinitywifi is available all over my metro area (Portland). I tried connecting to the xfinitywifi signal and my phone says that I'm connected. However, I've not able to enter my comcast email or password in order to take advantage of the service from my phone. I keep getting the error message: connection refused or reset (something like that). Comcast customer care was no help. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I have this feature in my city too. I used to have xfninity city wifi in certain places, and it's probably without a doubt the worst thing ever. Half the time it wouldn't connect, and when it did it was slower than 3g most times. 

I have this feature in my city too. I used to have xfninity city wifi in certain places, and it's probably without a doubt the worst thing ever. Half the time it wouldn't connect, and when it did it was slower than 3g most times.

Same here.... NYC and my home base are blanketed in Cable WiFi..... Penn Station, my main sore spot for Sprint data in my daily commute, has both Amtrak WiFi (only in it section of Penn Station), and TWC WiFi (covers the rest), its a great fall back until Sprint can get network together at Penn.

Not sure if I will be talking about the same thing but is this a possibility? I have several offices in major cities in eastern PA. A lot of them have Comcast internet, at all of the offices that have Comcast they have a public wifi router. I have disabled connection to each of these at our offices, if we simply unplug them Comcast starts to charge us for them not being used. So maybe the Comcast connections you are finding have a security nut IT guy (that's me) running their operation. Just a thought.

The xfinity hotspot thing is awesome. They're everywhere. They can be annoying, though. I usually just click "forget network" when I'm done because my phone will pickup faint, slow signals when I don't want it to. Generally, these xfinity hotspots are always faster than 15mbps. It's nice.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Eh I agree with the OP... they are popping up all over the place, and I've yet to connect to one successfully. I did get to a Comcast login page once, and when I entered my info it just directed me to a blank screen and I still didn't have any access. I have to keep telling my phone to forget them as well.

Does anyone have any idea how Comcast is doing this? Are they actually going out and installing base stations on their cable poles the way Earthlink tried to do with their Feather service a few years back, or are they merely broadcasting a public signal from a business account's router? If it is the later, it makes me a little uncomfortable -- especially since I've heard rumors about them trying this, and even wanting to do it with residential routers... it also seems to me that the service would really suck (which it seems to be) if they aren't setting it up with proper external antennas....

N

Eh I agree with the OP... they are popping up all over the place, and I've yet to connect to one successfully. I did get to a Comcast login page once, and when I entered my info it just directed me to a blank screen and I still didn't have any access. I have to keep telling my phone to forget them as well.

Does anyone have any idea how Comcast is doing this? Are they actually going out and installing base stations on their cable poles the way Earthlink tried to do with their Feather service a few years back, or are they merely broadcasting a public signal from a business account's router? If it is the later, it makes me a little uncomfortable -- especially since I've heard rumors about them trying this, and even wanting to do it with residential routers... it also seems to me that the service would really suck (which it seems to be) if they aren't setting it up with proper external antennas....

N

They set it up with pole mounted small cell type antennas where I'm at. They broadcast cable wifi sid where you connect with a cable companies login credentials or xfinity wifi for Comcast.

Other times I can't see the pole mounts and I just assume it's someone's business or personal modem broadcasting to the public.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Here, it's just a shared network from a Comcast leased router in a home or business. Comcast has assured people that the xfinitywifi side of their router has separate bandwidth that will not affect their actual network. It's also considered public so that any malicious activity isn't the fault of the router owner. Last night, I found a hotspot at my friend's house. He didn't know it was his router broadcasting, and was a little upset that he was paying, and other customers could connect to his network and use it. I tried to explain, but it didn't work.

The xfinity hotspot thing is awesome. They're everywhere. They can be annoying, though. I usually just click "forget network" when I'm done because my phone will pickup faint, slow signals when I don't want it to. Generally, these xfinity hotspots are always faster than 15mbps. It's nice.

Sent from my iPhone 6

The Biggest and really only PITA I have with Cable WiFi is while moving, like on a train, that going in and out of WiFi rapidly is a PITA, I will just disable WiFi during this time. 

I do like for it to remember the network, since it will auto log me in anytime I'm near, and the fact you don't have to go through that annoying ass T&C Authentication wall with each log-in. 

I've only ever had to log-in one time through Xfinity's (Comcast) log in page, and it just jumps on where ever Cable WiFi is broadcasting, regardless of the "roaming" provider. 

Here, it's just a shared network from a Comcast leased router in a home or business. Comcast has assured people that the xfinitywifi side of their router has separate bandwidth that will not affect their actual network. It's also considered public so that any malicious activity isn't the fault of the router owner. Last night, I found a hotspot at my friend's house. He didn't know it was his router broadcasting, and was a little upset that he was paying, and other customers could connect to his network and use it. I tried to explain, but it didn't work.

Here its a form of all three, I go between Xfinity (my home provider), Optimum (NJT Train Station Coverage), and TWC (Large NYC hubs - i.e. Penn Station)  Xfinity in my surrounding areas I suspect is broadcasting through business and residential privately-leased Wireless Modems. I guess Optimum and TWC do the same thing in their territories, but for the Train Stations and Big Hubs, they'd have to be using Small Cell deployment.