Anyone else kind of disappointed with Sprint's phone lineup 2h 2014?

Ascertion

I am running a G2 which I love but I'm always open to getting something new. I feel like the only next gen choices are giant phablets or and iPhone 6.

The G3 to me is slightly too large and appears to be not a large enough incentive to jump to from the G2.

I was banking on the Sony Z3 but it appears Sprint is missing out on it. I thought Sprint's lineup would be better with Softbank but it seems like the only new device so far as a result is the Sharp.

After the Z3 announcement (or lack thereof), I started banking on the next Nexus but that thing is an absolute monster. The device is way too big for me. Same with the Note 4.

The Verizon Droid Turbo is 100% what I'm looking for, but it appears to be a Verizon exclusive. Sprint should work some magic to get their version with similar specs and brand it the next "Photon".

Do you think next year that devices will be getting even bigger? G3 appears to be selling quite well, and I'm sure the Nexus 6 will too.

You do not like the Nexus 6?  It looks to be a great handset.  Just be careful backing up when you are carrying that thing around...

AJ

• Like 2

I am running a G2 which I love but I'm always open to getting something new. I feel like the only next gen choices are giant phablets or and iPhone 6.

The G3 to me is slightly too large and appears to be not a large enough incentive to jump to from the G2.

I was banking on the Sony Z3 but it appears Sprint is missing out on it. I thought Sprint's lineup would be better with Softbank but it seems like the only new device so far as a result is the Sharp.

After the Z3 announcement (or lack thereof), I started banking on the next Nexus but that thing is an absolute monster. The device is way too big for me. Same with the Note 4.

The Verizon Droid Turbo is 100% what I'm looking for, but it appears to be a Verizon exclusive. Sprint should work some magic to get their version with similar specs and brand it the next "Photon".

Do you think next year that devices will be getting even bigger? G3 appears to be selling quite well, and I'm sure the Nexus 6 will too.

Sprint is carrying most of the phones everyone else is.  The Z3, while a nice device, just is not likely going to sell well here.  Sprint probably passed on the Moto X because of possibly injuring Nexus 6 sales and because the last generation Moto X just did not sell very well for Sprint.  

Yes, I would like to see all devices on Sprint.  But with Sprint's size, if they carry too many devices, then none have enough sales as they get spread too thin.  Then you have OEM's who don't want to do anything extra or unique for Sprint, because they fear they won't sell enough devices.  It's a tough row to hoe.  You have to balance things just right.  And that means passing on some devices sometimes.

• Like 2

Why are you complaining?  iPhone 6 is out -- in multiple sizes, no less.  And, as I told Robert last night, Whole Foods is now accepting Apple Pay.  So, why would someone need any other phone than an iPhone 6?  iPhone 6.  Whole Foods.  Apple Pay.  Smug, smug, smug, smug, smug.

AJ

Phablets are no problem for me, although 1080p is enough resolution. Extra battery capacity would be great -- as long as the phone is popular I should be able to get that third party.  I do need the extra storage so optional SD-ram card slot is required.  Not worth buying without CA unless pressed for a replacement.  3GB RAM minimum given Google does not want most apps to close and many will come back to life if you kill them.  I just keep waiting, each phone so far has a flaw compared to my desires....

Why are you complaining?  iPhone 6 is out -- in multiple sizes, no less.  And, as I told Robert last night, Whole Foods is now accepting Apple Pay.  So, why would someone need any other phone than an iPhone 6?  iPhone 6.  Whole Foods.  Apple Pay.  Smug, smug, smug, smug, smug.

AJ

I feel like you say this tongue-in-cheek, but you aren't too far off. It's hard to complain about Sprint's phone lineup when they have the most popular phone model. 

And Apple Pay actually works well at Whole Foods. It is very convenient...don't even have to take out your wallet for those late-night kale runs. 

• Like 1

I feel like you say this tongue-in-cheek, but you aren't too far off. It's hard to complain about Sprint's phone lineup when they have the most popular phone model. 

And Apple Pay actually works well at Whole Foods. It is very convenient...don't even have to take out your wallet for those late-night kale runs. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers from the runs late at night due to kale!

• Like 4

Im seeing less and less differences between phones now. There is a point when a processor upgrade isnt worth it. CA is the biggest step up and my next device will have CA I hope.

Im seeing less and less differences between phones now. There is a point when a processor upgrade isnt worth it. CA is the biggest step up and my next device will have CA I hope.

I'm hoping for a sub 5inch screen, SD slot, large battery. Camera quality is a plus but it's not necessary. I'm looking forward to what HTC has next year with their next flagship.
  • Like 1

I'm hoping for a sub 5inch screen, SD slot, large battery. Camera quality is a plus but it's not necessary. I'm looking forward to what HTC has next year with their next flagship.

You're not going to find any flagship device sub 5 inch screen anymore. Unless there is a tech culture change.

Edit: Minus iPhone.

You're not going to find any flagship device sub 5 inch screen anymore. Unless there is a tech culture change.

Edit: Minus iPhone.

The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is the other exception to this rule.  But that one (like the larger Z3) isn't available for Sprint.

The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is the other exception to this rule. But that one (like the larger Z3) isn't available for Sprint.

The Z3 Compact isn't the flagship device. The Z3 is.

The same way the S5 Mini isn't a Flagship.

The Z3 Compact isn't the flagship device. The Z3 is.

The same way the S5 Mini isn't a Flagship.

That's certainly debatable.  http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/3/6097817/the-xperia-z3-compact-is-sonys-true-new-flagship-phone

At the very least, you have to grant it "flagship-caliber" status since Sony didn't really change much between the two except for the size.

That's certainly debatable. http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/3/6097817/the-xperia-z3-compact-is-sonys-true-new-flagship-phone

At the very least, you have to grant it "flagship-caliber" status since Sony didn't really change much between the two except for the size.

That's the Verge's opinion. Which I don't disagree with the compact maybe being a better suite but Sony doesn't consider the compact their flagship.

That's the Verge's opinion. Which I don't disagree with the compact maybe being a better suite but Sony doesn't consider the compact their flagship.

The specs are roughly the same? What is the definition of "flagship"? The Z3 compact pretty much fits the bill.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The m8 was a really good phone. Liked it almost more than the nexus 5.
  • Like 1

The specs are roughly the same? What is the definition of "flagship"? The Z3 compact pretty much fits the bill.

The phone the manufacturer releases as their top presser for the year. If the compact was determined by them to be their flagship it wouldn't be called the Z3 Compact, it would be called the Z4 and it wouldn't have been released after the Z3.

Look at every manufacture's Flagship phone. It always releases first and leads with a new name sake, not Mini, Sport, Maxx, Compact, Plus/+ or E8.

The phone the manufacturer releases as their top presser for the year. If the compact was determined by them to be their flagship it wouldn't be called the Z3 Compact, it would be called the Z4 and it wouldn't have been released after the Z3.

Look at every manufacture's Flagship phone. It always releases first and leads with a new name sake, not Mini, Sport, Maxx, Compact, Plus/+ or E8.

The compact was released simultaneously with the Z3.

The compact was released simultaneously with the Z3.

Even so, take into account the name sake. As well as premium features.

Even so, take into account the name sake. As well as premium features.

They also have the same features. Same processor, same GPU, same camera, same waterproofing...

The only differences are screen resolution (pretty insignificant given the screen size difference) and the compact "only" has 2 gigs of RAM.

They also have the same features. Same processor, same GPU, same camera, same waterproofing...

The only differences are screen resolution (pretty insignificant given the screen size difference) and the compact "only" has 2 gigs of RAM.

You're totally missing what I'm saying.

I guess so. Sony made the Z3 compact to be the same phone for people that like smaller devices.

Do me a favor. Google Sony Flagship phone and tell me what pops up. And don't post the Verge article again. ????

Do me a favor. Google Sony Flagship phone and tell me what pops up. And don't post the Verge article again. ????

Sony disagrees ???? http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201409/14-080E/

Sony describes them as flagships.

I understand your perception of it. But Sony has never separated the devices. They are both flagship in their eyes. That is how they were launched at IFA, that is how they sell them on their site. It is only a US perception that they are not on level footing. Elsewhere that they are sold they are generally shown on the same level. At least that has been my perception.

• Like 2