• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

Member Level: eHRPD

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung Galaxy Note 5 32GB (White), Apple iPhone 5S 16GB (Space Gray), Sprint Wi-Fi Connect Router, Sierra 3G/4G USB Modem, Karma Go Hotspot
  • LocationAppleton, Wisconsin

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

Karma Go Hotspot Discussion & User Thread

karma-go-mobile-hotspot-pre-order.png?w=

Since we don't have an official spot for this little hotspot, I'd like to make one... meet the Karma Go hotspot. Running off the Sprint LTE network, the Go is a Spark/LTE Enhanced enabled, tri-band hotspot.

Currently it runs for $149. Down below in post #2 you'll find all the information that I've compiled about Go.

For anyone who has never heard of Karma, check out the Karma Go

If you'd like to purchase the Karma, PM me and I can give you my referral code for an extra $10 off your purchase!

Be sure to watch for sales to get the Go at $99 and if you add my code in, $89! 

Current Sale(s):

Not at this time... Check back soon!

Marshall - 22 - College Student, Small Business Owner, Hawaiian Lover, Football & Baseball Fanatic, Sprint Backer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

North Wisconsin Premier Thread (Sponsorship Required)         North Wisconsin Thread (General Access)

Madison/Milwaukee Premier Thread (Sponsorship Required)         Madison/Milwaukee Thread (General Access)

Karma Go Hotspot User Thread (General Access)

Not a sponsor yet? Click HERE to become one today!

#2 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung Galaxy Note 5 32GB (White), Apple iPhone 5S 16GB (Space Gray), Sprint Wi-Fi Connect Router, Sierra 3G/4G USB Modem, Karma Go Hotspot

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:07 AM

So here's the break down and explanation of it all...

Information Last Updated: July 15th, 2017

• The Plans: Here are 2 plans to choose from currently and you can switch between the two plans as needed. Neverstop and Refuel was retired and is now not available:​​
    • Drift (Pay As You Go)
      • Pay for only the data you use and then get credit for any unused data.
        • $3 per month + $10 per GB used
    • Pulse (Data Buckets/Monthly Subscription)
      • Your choice of 5 data bucket tiers. (Please note that the data doesn't carry over and you will get your chosen plan allotment at the start of the billing cycle.)
        •   1 GB  |  $9.99 per month
        •   5 GB  |  $39.99 per month
        • 10 GB  |  $79.99 per month
        • 20 GB  |  $99.99 per month
        • 25 GB  |  $149.99 per month
    • Neverstop (Truly Unlimited Data) *Retired Plan as of January 2016*

• ​$50 a month for as much data as you need at a max speed of 5 Mbps upload and download speed - no fine print, no data caps 
    • Refuel (Pay As You Go) *Retired Plan as of January 2017*
      • 1   GB = $14
      • 5   GB = $59 ($11.80 per GB)
      • 10 GB = $99 ($9 per GB)

• Sharing is Caring! The data you earn/purchase NEVER expires & there are not contracts
    • Sharing for Pulse: Get a $1 credit everytime someone new connects to your hotspot.

• Tri-Band Device (Band 25, 26 & 41) & 3G fallback with over 460 U.S. cities having coverage
    • Support up to 8 simultaneous connections total 
    • Not C.A. compatible currently (Could be in the future with firmware update)
    • Karma will notify you with any major firmware updates

• Wireless Network, Battery & Unit Specs  
    • 802.11b/g/n 2.4Ghz Wireless Networking
    • Wi-Fi signal will reach on average of 100 feet
    • Maximum speeds of 54 Mbps
    • Supports LTE CAT3
    • 220 hours standby time on battery
    • 5 hours internet usage on battery (actual battery life will vary by user)
    • 1500mAh Lithium-ion Battery (embedded & non-removable by user)
    • 2.9 inches wide x 2.9 inches tall x 0.47 inches deep --- 2.3 ounces / 56 grams

• "How fast can it go?" --- Depending on the plan you choose will determine what speeds you will see. Also remember that the towers you connect to will play a factor into what speeds you'll see too! Be sure to become a sponsored member on S4GRU to see what equipment your tower is currently equipped with. You can find the Karma coverage map here. The darker green is LTE while the lighter is CDMA. The official Sprint coverage map will be the same coverage, except you'll be able to see B41 (LTE Enhanced) coverage.
    • 3G CDMA:
      • Download speeds of 0.6-1.4 Mbps with peak speeds of 3.1 Mbps
      • Upload speeds of 0.35-5 Mbps
    • 4G LTE:
      • Download speeds of 6-8 Mbps with peak speeds of 25 Mbps
      • Upload speeds of 2-3 Mbps

• "There's an app for that!" --- For both the IOS and Android operating system. You can manage everything from your account, purchasing & managing data, seeing who is connected or even power off your Karma Go directly from the app. Get your app with the links below:

Marshall - 22 - College Student, Small Business Owner, Hawaiian Lover, Football & Baseball Fanatic, Sprint Backer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

North Wisconsin Premier Thread (Sponsorship Required)         North Wisconsin Thread (General Access)

Madison/Milwaukee Premier Thread (Sponsorship Required)         Madison/Milwaukee Thread (General Access)

#3 anotherBAM

anotherBAM

Member Level: 1xRTT

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 6
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

You'll have to follow-up with how you like it. I've been considering getting one to replace my Sprint hotspot. We usually only use it when we travel so we have months where we never turn it on and months where I wish we had a higher data cap on our plan.

Given our sporadic usage, I figure my family would probably save money over the course of a year or two with the Karma go even though the cost per GB is considerably higher. However paying Sprint every month for a data allotment on months we don't touch the device seems kind of silly.

#4 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:16 PM

You'll have to follow-up with how you like it. I've been considering getting one to replace my Sprint hotspot. We usually only use it when we travel so we have months where we never turn it on and months where I wish we had a higher data cap on our plan.

Given our sporadic usage, I figure my family would probably save money over the course of a year or two with the Karma go even though the cost per GB is considerably higher. However paying Sprint every month for a data allotment on months we don't touch the device seems kind of silly.

I gladly will! I'll do a full review as soon as I get it at my doorstep. 

#5 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

UPDATE:

Firstly, I received an email regarding shipping of my hotspot last night. Unfortunately, the December ship out date won't happen, rather they will ship it out "hopefully" in January. They are making sure all the bells and whistles work, and there won't be problems out of the box.

The sad part is I know some more than likely ordered it as a Christmas present. Because of that, in the email they sent me a link to receive a free "Holiday Pack." I'm not sure what it all includes, but it certainly is a nice gesture!

Secondly, if people are still interested, they are offering the Karma Go for $50 off again for Cyber Monday. If you PM me, I can give you a referral code for an additional $10 to bring it down to $89.

Here is the link that explains the shipment date... https://blog.yourkar...hipment-update 

I'll keep updating this thread as I receive more information. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

#6 anotherBAM

anotherBAM

Member Level: 1xRTT

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 6
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:05 PM

I decided to pre-order one of these devices tonight. Thanks to Marshall for the referral code to knock $10 off the total, making the device $89.

I was just browsing around my new account on their site and discovered I completely overlooked the sharing aspect of their service. They don't seem to promote it much except in the help pages. It looks like all of their devices run open wifi with an (somewhat) unchangeable SSID that anyone can connect to, login with their Karma account, and establish a data session using their own data bank.

This may be a deal breaker for me with the service. I suspect one may need to authenticate to Karma through the browser every time the data session with the hotspot expires (I have not found with 100% certainty that's the case yet, but that would not be great when it's being used by kids) and I have a preference that my devices are within their own WPA2 protected network.

#7 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

I decided to pre-order one of these devices tonight. Thanks to Marshall for the referral code to knock $10 off the total, making the device $89.

I was just browsing around my new account on their site and discovered I completely overlooked the sharing aspect of their service. They don't seem to promote it much except in the help pages. It looks like all of their devices run open wifi with an (somewhat) unchangeable SSID that anyone can connect to, login with their Karma account, and establish a data session using their own data bank.

This may be a deal breaker for me with the service. I suspect one may need to authenticate to Karma through the browser every time the data session with the hotspot expires (I have not found with 100% certainty that's the case yet, but that would not be great when it's being used by kids) and I have a preference that my devices are within their own WPA2 protected network.

I'm not exactly sure how you authenticate and connect either. You could message Karma on Facebook, they have great and quick customer service and sure they could give you an answer.  :)

#8 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

Updated original post with detailed breakdown and merged some things together...

Also found a great in-vehicle holder on eBay for about $5 that will hold the Karma perfectly: http://www.ebay.com/ 

#9 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

UPDATE: The "more official" ship date is now April 10th.

The push off was partially due to the fact they realized that the hotspot didn't have enough memory. So now after added memory and new dates to get it passed through the FCC, the feel quite comfortable with April 10th.

You can read the update on their blog here.

#10 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:30 AM

Haven't updated this is awhile!

KarmaGo is still on track to ship April 10th. Cannot wait to finally have it in hand! (Seeing as it was pre-ordered back in October and was "supposed to be" one of my Christmas presents)

Oh well... At least now with a decent amount of B41 deployed around here, it be impressive unlike using it on just B25/26.

Anyway, 24 days!  :)

#11 4gantennashop

4gantennashop

Member Level: Analog

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung Note 4 Sprint - Stock
  • LocationCHICAGO

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

Why buy this? What is the advantage vs my unlimited Sprint data plans for hotspots?

Welcome to the 4G Antenna Shop where we are all about helping Sprint 4G (formerly CLEAR 4G) customers obtain better signal through an array of featured products available to the 4G subscriber, Since we solely focus on Sprint 4G, our industry knowledge will better assist you in your new antenna project. We welcome you to visit us at 4gantennashop.com and read more about us, see our videos and gather all the information off of our site to help you make the very best decision in your antenna choice for the future. Need help just give us a call anytime. Call 815-496-0444

#12 travismheim

travismheim

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• Honored Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.0, Samsung Galaxy S7 (VZW), Sprint LivePro
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

Why buy this? What is the advantage vs my unlimited Sprint data plans for hotspots?

Aren't unlimited Sprint hotspot plans limited to corporate liable accounts with a credit union?

#13 4gantennashop

4gantennashop

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

Aren't unlimited Sprint hotspot plans limited to corporate liable accounts with a credit union?

Not only CL accounts that are credit union accounts qualify. There are many programs available, I am currently helping my employees and contractors get service. see contractors.4gantennashop.com

Welcome to the 4G Antenna Shop where we are all about helping Sprint 4G (formerly CLEAR 4G) customers obtain better signal through an array of featured products available to the 4G subscriber, Since we solely focus on Sprint 4G, our industry knowledge will better assist you in your new antenna project. We welcome you to visit us at 4gantennashop.com and read more about us, see our videos and gather all the information off of our site to help you make the very best decision in your antenna choice for the future. Need help just give us a call anytime. Call 815-496-0444

#14 travismheim

travismheim

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.0, Samsung Galaxy S7 (VZW), Sprint LivePro
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Not only CL accounts that are credit union accounts qualify. There are many programs available, I am currently helping my employees and contractors get service. see contractors.4gantennashop.com

I read through that a little while ago. Did you set up your own MVNO or something?

#15 4gantennashop

4gantennashop

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

I read through that a little while ago. Did you set up your own MVNO or something?

I am exploring my options, But I solely want to focus on data products and Sprint Wholesale is not really geared towards that build out which is why I have added T-Mobile to my list of possibilities and I am trying some unlimited data products on both carriers. We will see who wins this MVNO consideration. I like the Sprint build out so far, really great to capture all those CLEAR customers that will be left in the dark in the next 6 months when WiMax goes lights off.

Robert

#16 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

Because for me, I can take this along when I'm working and not only have a quick backup but provide data to others and NOT have to pay for what they use. I can also earn data for every person who uses it. So in reality I'm not really am going to be paying heaps and mounds of money for this thing which I'm sure an unlimited plan would be.

For me, it has it's benefits hence the reason why I wanted it. And the KarmaGo hit what I needed to achieve with it. I don't need unlimited and I'm not always going to be using it in that way, so why over pay for what I'm not going to use?

Now if we're talking about replacing my 3G Sierra USB modem for home use with your unlimited plan and a Netgear Router, than yes this would be dumb to do.  ;)

#17 sbolen

sbolen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5S, iPad Air 2 (Wifi), iPad Air 2 (VZW)
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:46 AM

I'm interested in your experiences with the Hotspot. I'm taking the family down to Florida for a week this summer and have 2 wifi-only iPads. I have a triband phone, but don't feel like paying for the per-gb add-on to my account.
Say hello:
bolen.co // @sbolen

#18 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

I'm interested in your experiences with the Hotspot. I'm taking the family down to Florida for a week this summer and have 2 wifi-only iPads. I have a triband phone, but don't feel like paying for the per-gb add-on to my account.

Well, I like the concept of it... BUT I haven't received it yet.

The "start shipping date" was April 10th, but as they were testing, they hit a snag with other parties holding them up. So now were looking at May, with probably having it in my hand late May/early June.

So... if you decide to get one, I can still give you the referral code for $10 off, but the price is up to $149 again. And depending upon when your travels are, you might not get it until June or July since pre-orders are done. 

#19 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

Since I too was planning on having it for summer for my job... I'm kind of scrambling to figure out what I'm going to do in the meantime.

This may be one cheap option...

For about the same price INCLUDING data, I was looking at Boost Mobile.

If you were to purchase the Samsung Galaxy Prevail (Retail price of $129.99, at Best Buy typically for $89.99), use the daily unlimited plan for $3.

Then set yourself up with the mobile hotspot on it for the monthly hotspot plan of either $5 for 1GB or $10 for 2GB.

Now, if you didn't have to have the daily plan on it and you could only activate the hotspot feature on it (which I don't know if you can or can't do) this would make a far more cost effective setup than Karma. With a phone that has almost x3 times more battery life (14 hours for Galaxy, 5 hours for Karma), a removable battery on the Prevail over a non-removable on the Karma... it actually might be better.

But what I did like was that I'd earn free data, and in the setting I'd be using it in, I'd have quite a few people connecting to it in certain situations. Essentially me never having to buy data for it...

So as of right now, I'm torn. I may return the Karma and go with the above option if I'm in desperate need. It would be cool to find a S5 to do the above option and have it to do more mapping/tower finding instead of killing my G3 battery.

#20 towermonkey

towermonkey

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Monkey Phone
  • LocationDublin, Ohio

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

I pre-ordered the Karma Go back in October I have been waiting for 7 months, now at least 1 more month? Ugh...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Karma, LTE, Hotspot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users