Orange County Cell Sites on High Voltage Power lines finally being converted to Network Vision

Maybe they are starting to deploy some hot 800 action in the OC?   :fingers:

Haha I doubt it.  A few of the sites around here have the dual RRH's and some don't.  Not sure why that is and capacity does not appear to be a factor since some of the sites with only one RRH are located along busy freeways and some of the ones that have two RRH's like this one do not get a lot of traffic.

It looks like they kept the same azimuth's on this site (thankfully) but unfortunately the panels appear to be mounted slightly lower (by 1-2 feet) now than they were originally, even with the taller NV panels taken into consideration.  Hopefully this does not affect coverage as this site really needed higher mounting not lower due to the hilly terrain as evident by AT&T taking the top spot on the tower.  The site is not NV active yet but I can only hope that the RRH's will boost signal strength slightly to make up this difference but so far I have not been able to see any gains in signal strength with NV on any other sites.

• 4 months later...

Update.  Looks like they installed a small microwave dish on the South facing RRU yesterday.  So my site will get LTE 1900 using microwave relay which is what I expected considering that the AT&T site on the same tower also uses a microwave relay.  Hard to get Ethernet feed up in the hills.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some time over night LTE finally came on my tower!  So far every time I do a speedtest check I get a completely different result.  Have had between 5 Mbps and 20 Mbps depending on where I am in the house.  Ping is between 59 and 69 ms consistently.  My home wifi is only good for between 3-4 Mbps and EVDO was 1.5 Mbps so the LTE would seem to be the better option no matter what assuming this holds up.

• Like 8