Sprint LivePro User's Thread

travismheim

I just got my livepro in the mail today. In the box it comes with a 5' USB cable with "A" plugs on both ends, a 4' HDMI cable, a cloth carry case, a DC transformer, and the standard manuals with recycle bag for old devices. My first thought was it is bigger than I thought it would be, it's roughly 5" x 5" x 1" and has some heft to it. Set up was very easy, it was no different than an android phone. It runs 4.2.2 out of the box, and aside from the wide angle screen feels like any other android device I've used.

On the software side, it is loaded with almost no bloatware from Sprint. It doesn't even have Sprint Zone, all I noticed was Lookout Security. It comes pre-loaded with Google apps such as gmail, maps, navigation, play store etc. Many of my apps are compatible with the device, but some aren't. Signal Check Pro, LTE Discovery, Speed Test.net, FCC Speed Test, Google Voice, and Facebook Messenger were among the ones I frequently use that aren't compatible. Netflix, HBO Go, Tapatalk, Dropbox, Facebook, and Hangouts all seem to work perfectly fine. Using apps directly from the device do eat up the mobile broadband data plan bucket, so be careful running Netflix/YouTube etc unless you are on WiFi. The home screen has a nice widget to set up HDMI input for the projector, miracast, and to turn on the WiFi hotspot.

The device itself has three buttons for back, home, and settings below the screen. Directly below that there is a large sleep button, with volume up and down to the sides, and a projector toggle below it. These buttons are all capacitive. On the rear of the device, there is a plug for the DC transformer to charge it, USB, HDMI, and 3.5mm for audio out. The right side has the speaker, which is quite loud for it's size and an exhaust for a fan that operates when the projector display is turned on. The left side has a focus wheel for the projector display, a button to toggle usb device charging, power, a hard reset button and a cover for the micro sim and micro sd slot's. On the under side of the device is a kick stand to angle it up, and a threaded mounting hole to use with a tripod or something similar.

The projector display has better picture quality than I thought it would. I haven't had any previous experience with DLP projectors, but I would say it is on par with a lower end LCD TV. I've only used it on a wall, so it may also look better on an actual projector screen.

Overall I'm pretty impressed, and don't regret my purchase at all. Miracast was very easy to set up, and when streaming with it data is used from the phone's bucket and not the mobile broadband plan. I bought it on easy pay at $18.50 per month with the promo $8.50 per month plan credit which essentially makes it a $240 device.

• Like 7

Radio performance for the livepro is pretty good, it easily surpasses my nexus 5 on b25 LTE and evdo connectivity. In areas at my store my nexus will fall back to evdo, the livepro holds on to LTE just fine. It also held onto a weak evdo signal down to -115 where my nexus started to roam. It has better reception than my tab 3 as well.

One annoying thing I found was the sleep button is easily pressed, even through the case. I came home today with the battery at 65% with close to four hours of screen on time because of it. I'll probably be powering it down from now on when not in use.

Using it in projector mode, it eats through the battery incredibly fast. In 35 minutes of playing a movie with mid level volume, battery level dropped from 65% to 14%. It could be used in a pinch but I wouldn't expect more than an hour of projector on time using it on battery alone. Even while plugged in, it managed to drop down another 3% while playing the rest of my movie with the projector running.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Tonight trying to use the projector I noticed the light output would start to flicker after a few minutes while its plugged in. Unplug the ac adapter and it immediately stops. Looking at gsam battery stats I noticed it is pulling 2.8a, while the ac adapter only has 2a output. I'm wondering if they packaged the wrong ac adapter with this.

Anyone else that owns one can you check the output listed on the ac adapter, and check the current draw while the projector is running? I'm wondering if I can find a 3a ac adapter to make it work properly, or if my livepro is pulling more amps than its supposed to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

At his request, I repeated Travis' Netflix experience, and had exactly the same result:  After about 40 minutes with on-line power, showing a Netflix session, the projector began to flicker noticeably. (The screen was rock solid).  Current draw was initially very low, then all over the map.

looks like there is a problem here.

• Like 2

At his request, I repeated Travis' Netflix experience, and had exactly the same result:  After about 40 minutes with on-line power, showing a Netflix session, the projector began to flicker noticeably. (The screen was rock solid).  Current draw was initially very low, then all over the map.

looks like there is a problem here.

I'm trying to chat with Sprint tech support and they have no idea what I'm talking about. First they told me to remove the battery and let it sit unplugged for two minutes, and after I mentioned the battery is not removable they said to factory reset it. Am I wrong in thinking that a 3A or higher power supply might fix the problem? If you look at the bottom of the projector while it's happening I can see the red light flicker through the kick stand hole. It also only happens to me while the battery is nearing full charge, when charging current naturally would drop off on anything else. I'm sitting here at 94% battery and the ac adapter is still charging the battery without the flicker. Twice now when it's reached around 97-98% it starts to flicker while plugged in. GSam still reports the battery being charged but it as soon as I unplug it, the flickering  stops and it reports the current draw over 2.5A which far exceeds the output of the ac included ac adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my livepro in the mail today. In the box it comes with a 5' USB cable with "A" plugs on both ends, a 4' HDMI cable, a cloth carry case, a DC transformer, and the standard manuals with recycle bag for old devices. My first thought was it is bigger than I thought it would be, it's roughly 5" x 5" x 1" and has some heft to it. Set up was very easy, it was no different than an android phone. It runs 4.2.2 out of the box, and aside from the wide angle screen feels like any other android device I've used.

On the software side, it is loaded with almost no bloatware from Sprint. It doesn't even have Sprint Zone, all I noticed was Lookout Security. It comes pre-loaded with Google apps such as gmail, maps, navigation, play store etc. Many of my apps are compatible with the device, but some aren't. Signal Check Pro, LTE Discovery, Speed Test.net, FCC Speed Test, Google Voice, and Facebook Messenger were among the ones I frequently use that aren't compatible. Netflix, HBO Go, Tapatalk, Dropbox, Facebook, and Hangouts all seem to work perfectly fine. Using apps directly from the device do eat up the mobile broadband data plan bucket, so be careful running Netflix/YouTube etc unless you are on WiFi. The home screen has a nice widget to set up HDMI input for the projector, miracast, and to turn on the WiFi hotspot.

The device itself has three buttons for back, home, and settings below the screen. Directly below that there is a large sleep button, with volume up and down to the sides, and a projector toggle below it. These buttons are all capacitive. On the rear of the device, there is a plug for the DC transformer to charge it, USB, HDMI, and 3.5mm for audio out. The right side has the speaker, which is quite loud for it's size and an exhaust for a fan that operates when the projector display is turned on. The left side has a focus wheel for the projector display, a button to toggle usb device charging, power, a hard reset button and a cover for the micro sim and micro sd slot's. On the under side of the device is a kick stand to angle it up, and a threaded mounting hole to use with a tripod or something similar.

The projector display has better picture quality than I thought it would. I haven't had any previous experience with DLP projectors, but I would say it is on par with a lower end LCD TV. I've only used it on a wall, so it may also look better on an actual projector screen.

Overall I'm pretty impressed, and don't regret my purchase at all. Miracast was very easy to set up, and when streaming with it data is used from the phone's bucket and not the mobile broadband plan. I bought it on easy pay at $18.50 per month with the promo $8.50 per month plan credit which essentially makes it a $240 device.

Is there a way I could stream something like Netflix or Hulu from my phone to the projector using my phone's unlimited data plan? Maybe something using Wi-Fi direct? I was thinking about getting one for my girlfriend and I because during the winter snow storms knock out the power. That way we could still watch movies and TV showed. We have backup batteries so the short battery life wouldn't really be a problem. Just doubt we could stay within a few gigs and don't really want to pay an arm and a leg for service.

Is there a way I could stream something like Netflix or Hulu from my phone to the projector using my phone's unlimited data plan? Maybe something using Wi-Fi direct? I was thinking about getting one for my girlfriend and I because during the winter snow storms knock out the power. That way we could still watch movies and TV showed. We have backup batteries so the short battery life wouldn't really be a problem. Just doubt we could stay within a few gigs and don't really want to pay an arm and a leg for service.

Yes, as long as your phone supports miracast. I haven't been able to get it to work for a while though on either of my phones. The devices will pair, but the screen on the livepro will be blank and only audio will play.

Something to keep in mind if you want to run this off of a back up battery. It needs 12V DC input and the plug is 5.5mm by 2.5mm center positive with at least 2A minimum.

My projector started to have issues with projecting the colors below where they should be. The best way to describe it would be white icons such as play store looked like running paint below where the "screen" would be projected. I called technical support about the color and flickering issue when plugged in as well as miracast not working properly and they are replacing the device for me. I don't have insurance on it and I've had it for about a month and a half so I'm a little surprised they are replacing it and not making me go through ZTE. The guy I spoke to didn't mention any cost to have it replaced, but I haven't dropped it off at the store yet so not sure if they will surprise me with some fee. It's still great customer service though, Sprint is doing a lot more than I had expected with not having insurance on it.

My projector started to have issues with projecting the colors below where they should be. The best way to describe it would be white icons such as play store looked like running paint below where the "screen" would be projected. I called technical support about the color and flickering issue when plugged in as well as miracast not working properly and they are replacing the device for me. I don't have insurance on it and I've had it for about a month and a half so I'm a little surprised they are replacing it and not making me go through ZTE. The guy I spoke to didn't mention any cost to have it replaced, but I haven't dropped it off at the store yet so not sure if they will surprise me with some fee. It's still great customer service though, Sprint is doing a lot more than I had expected with not having insurance on it.

There will be a $75 fee. I see this a few times a week customer care neglects to mention the fee then the customer comes in gets shitty and calls customer care where this time the rep will confirm that without tep there is a fee.

There will be a $75 fee. I see this a few times a week customer care neglects to mention the fee then the customer comes in gets shitty and calls customer care where this time the rep will confirm that without tep there is a fee.

When I went into the store, they weren't able to replace it because they don't have any in stock and don't normally carry it due to being a preferred retailer. When I got home I called customer care again and they told me again to go to the store. After speaking with the guy for almost 20 minutes he finally understood the repair store wasn't going to be able to help me out and agrees to set up the advanced exchange. A few minutes later he calls me back and mentions the $75 fee but then says because I don't have TEP I have to go through the manufacturer for warranty service. I thought that's why there was a $75 fee, to have the device replaced through Sprint rather than go through the manufacturer. Looks like I'll be sending it to ZTE for repair instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a replacement device from ZTE today, they received it on Tuesday. The turn around time was pretty fast, much faster than I had expected. The only problem is they managed to send me a new LivePro with a serial number that is not white listed for activation on Sprint. Miracast still doesn't work properly with my Nexus 5 or G2, I'm wondering if its a problem with LG phones. The projector part of the device seems to work without problems, no flickering or color problems running Netflix off of WiFi for about an hour.

I called tech support and they ended up opening a ticket to get the serial number added to the system, which is something I thought couldn't be done. I was told it could take 5-7 days, so I'll see how it turns out. I was told I would be given a $20 bill credit for the hassle.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't heard back from Sprint about my ticket since I opened it. Out of boredom I tried activating the replacement LivePro last night and it worked. I was skeptical when they told me it would get added to the system, but they can and do make it happen. Kind of makes me wonder if they would be willing to do the same thing with T-Mobile purchased Nexus 5's. Miracast is still showing a blank screen while casting, but after reading about compatibility problems with other Miracast devices I'm surprised I ever got it to work at all.

I've been looking for a hard case to pack the LivePro in but it seems no one is making any accessories for it. I may end up changing out the foam insert from a compact .380 pistol case I have laying around but would prefer not to if I can find something else that works.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how, why, or who was responsible but I got picked by ZTE to get a LivePro. I don't usually sign up for giveaways and I don't recall doing it but I must have and got picked. I actually thought it was a scam to be honest when I read the email. lol But after researching the company doing the promotion and the sender of the email it was all legit. woo hoo. So hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be part of the group of LivePro users in here.

TS out

• Like 7

I don't know how, why, or who was responsible but I got picked by ZTE to get a LivePro. I don't usually sign up for giveaways and I don't recall doing it but I must have and got picked. I actually thought it was a scam to be honest when I read the email. lol But after researching the company doing the promotion and the sender of the email it was all legit. woo hoo. So hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be part of the group of LivePro users in here.

TS out

Wow.. Nice!  Merry Christmas!  :tu:

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally received it from ZTE. But I actually thought it would be the Live Pro or the newer SPro 2 but nope. I was sent the SPro instead which is the wi-fi version of the Live Pro. Not that I'm complaining, because this thing is super cute. Can't believe how small it is. 

TS