Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I swear, the amount of sites that have posted negatively about the Sprint carrying the Essential Phone (and by extension, the HTC U11") exclusively, have increased ten fold since this mornings announcement. And that's not taken into account the comments made by Sprint haters.  

These folks need to get over it. 

• Like 4

I swear, the amount of sites that have posted negatively about the Sprint carrying the Essential Phone (and by extension, the HTC U11") exclusively, have increased ten fold since this mornings announcement. And that's not taken into account the comments made by Sprint haters.  

These folks need to get over it. 

No matter what Sprint does the haters are out in full force. Sprint could release a super phone that runs Android and iOS and have Gigabit LTE deployed on the whole network, those users will continue to hate. 

But T-mobile!? they sh#t gold nuggets.

• Like 6

From USA TODAY

Sprint to be exclusive carrier of 'Essential' phone

https://usat.ly/2taGi7y

NEW YORK—The Essential phone that is the brainchild of Android co-founder Andy Rubin now has an exclusive U.S. carrier — Sprint.Why Sprint?“We like to bet with where we think the market is going as opposed to where the market was,” Essential President Niccolo de Masi told USA TODAY. “I feel like we are a new brand and a new consumer electronics company and we are partnering with the network of the future.”Sprint has been making progress in advancing its network but it still trails Verizon Wireless, AT&T and T-Mobile in subscribers.De Masi points as well to the friendship Rubin has with SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son. SoftBank owns 83% of Sprint and Rubin is an advisor to the SoftBank Vision Fund.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

It's"exclusive" like the Pixel was exclusive to Verizon. They will still sell the phone unlocked.

No matter what Sprint does the haters are out in full force. Sprint could release a super phone that runs Android and iOS and have Gigabit LTE deployed on the whole network, those users will continue to hate. 

Shouldn't that be "they sh#t Pink nuggets?

• Like 2

Android exclusives are dumb. Doesn't matter which carrier it is.

I don't see the hype for this phone. Why not just get a Galaxy S8 and be guaranteed good software support for the next 2-3 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Switch to Sprint and get FREE Unlimited for 1 year.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

Save more than $900 in the first year vs. Verizon

Get Unlimited data, talk & text free for 1 year

Keep your phone and phone number

No annual contracts, no activation fees - a $30 savings!

(Offer ends June 30th)

Between this and 6 free Months of Tidal Hi-Fi, Sprint is using a lot of cash on customer acquisition.

The link above for the free year of unlimited data promo is live again

• Like 1

I don't see the hype for this phone. Why not just get a Galaxy S8 and be guaranteed good software support for the next 2-3 years?

That was not my point, but if you insist, it is a solid phone. Is it the next coming? maybe not, but I can bet you, Andy Ruben will stop at nothing to support the device fairly well.

• Like 3

What I read, I think on the Verge write up is that Rubin said he wantes to put the phone on the best network for the future... That I think has made a lot of t-mobile fanbois cry out in terror/ or anger

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 6

What I read, I think on the Verge write up is that Rubin said he wantes to put the phone on the best network for the future... That I think has made a lot of t-mobile fanbois cry out in terror/ or anger

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

As I pointed out earlier today, this guy must know/heard something about Sprint to make a move like this. I don't want to jump to conclusions but his statement sounded like Sprint isn't going anywhere. Thought I think this exclusive thing is kinda dumb but it would be even more foolish to have a device exclusive to a carrier that would not be around anymore.

Software updates take time to come down the pike...

The Samsung Galaxy S8 is currently running Android 7.0

When is it receiving an update? Who knows...

The HTC U11 was released with Android 7.1.1

Alternatives are a good thing. Yay choice! Assuming the company doesn't go under and drop support, what is the downside?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Alternatives are a good thing. Yay choice! Assuming the company doesn't go under and drop support, what is the downside?

Essential will end up just like Nextbit, OnePlus, and Huawei. Mark my words.

Too many small Android OEMs have claimed big things. They've ALL fallen short in one way or another.

Downside? You can already get the Galaxy S8 with similar specs and a nicer screen for less money than this.

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 1

I don't see things about haters or lovers of Sprint. This is a wireless carrier that needs to add many customers. Legere has done a great job turning his company into a cult of followers which reminds me a lot of Apple. T Mobile can have a handful of towers congested, and their customers  would  give them a pass. Sprint having  the same type of problems, and they would call it a crap carrier.

If Marcelo was as passionate about the Sprint network as he is about Soccer this company would be kicking Tmobile teeths where it matter most.... network quality.

• Like 3

I don't see things about haters or lovers of Sprint. This is a wireless carrier that needs to add many customers. Legere has done a great job turning his company into a cult of followers which reminds me a lot of Apple. T Mobile can have a handful of towers congested, and their customers would give them a pass. Sprint having the same type of problems, and they would call it a crap carrier.

If Marcelo was as passionate about the Sprint network as he is about Soccer this company would be kicking Tmobile teeths where it matter most.... network quality.

You just said it right there without even realizing it, Sprint beats t-mobile in network quality, but everyone keeps looking at speed instead of the overall picture.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I don't see things about haters or lovers of Sprint. This is a wireless carrier that needs to add many customers. Legere has done a great job turning his company into a cult of followers which reminds me a lot of Apple. T Mobile can have a handful of towers congested, and their customers  would  give them a pass. Sprint having  the same type of problems, and they would call it a crap carrier.

Marcelo has done a great job at managing with minimal resources. Almost to the point of micro managing. The difference is, Legere is the ultimate used car salesman turned CEO, Marcelo on the other hand is a lot less in your face, but still quite a bit more involved than your typical CEO. 

How often do you hear about Glenn Lurie or John G. Stratton in the public? 

Marcelo was dealt a difficult hand, and folks seem to underestimate his massive influence in Sprint still being competitive.

• Like 2

I don't see things about haters or lovers of Sprint. This is a wireless carrier that needs to add many customers. Legere has done a great job turning his company into a cult of followers which reminds me a lot of Apple. T Mobile can have a handful of towers congested, and their customers would give them a pass. Sprint having the same type of problems, and they would call it a crap carrier.

If Marcelo was passionate about soccer he'd go visit Miami with Beckham more than once a year and have a MLS team playing already when Beckham exercises his right to have a team 3 years ago instead of hoping for a stadium to be finished in 2020/2021 and a team playing then... Instead he's drowned himself in sprint land, going around country, doing sprint related stuff.

If anything he should be caring more about soccer since he and Marcelo is holding up MLS expansion for sacramento...... (grumble grumble)....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Essential will end up just like Nextbit, OnePlus, and Huawei. Mark my words.

Too many small Android OEMs have claimed big things. They've ALL fallen short in one way or another.

Downside? You can already get the Galaxy S8 with similar specs and a nicer screen for less money than this.

It may well turn out that way, but that doesn't mean nobody should try. I happen to dislike Samsung and their blown out colors. Better is subjective.

• Like 1

Did you put 'Samsung' and 'good software support' in the same sentence? Go with a Pixel if you want 'good software support'.

Why not just get a Galaxy S8 and be guaranteed good software support for the next 2-3 years?

• Like 4

Did you put 'Samsung' and 'good software support' in the same sentence? Go with a Pixel if you want 'good software support'.

Of course. No other OEM has been updating their flagships for, at least, two years after release.

LG, Sony, and HTC have abandoned some of their models.